What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED! young adult historical fiction [s]

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) Years ago, probably about fifth grade or so, I read several historical fiction books and I cannot for the life of me remember the names of them. In each of them the main character was a young girl and the titles of the books were the girls names. I don't know if they were all written by the same author but I think that they weren't. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ~

message 2: by Heron (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Heron | 52 comments How old are you? The first thing that came to my mind was the american girl collection, which came out in the late 80s.

message 3: by Lisa (not getting friends updates) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Felicity, Addy, Samantha, Kirsten, Molly were some of the girls from the American girl series. They started with Meet (whichever girl's names) and there were other books for each girl as well I think. Each girl's series has a different author. If that's the series you mean Cindy; Do the names above ring a bell?

message 4: by Cindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) Thanks but it's not the American Girl series. I should have mentioned that. This was before the AG series. I read them in the early to mid 80's but I think they were written in the late to early 70's.

message 5: by Jackie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Jackie Are you thinking of the Ann Rinaldi books? A popular one was "Wolf by the Ears" which was based on the children Thomas Jefferson had with his African American mistress.

message 6: by Cindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) No, it's not Ann Rinaldi either. Though thanks for reminding me of her, I did read some of her stuff back in the day.

message 7: by Heron (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Heron | 52 comments There's also a series called the Royal Diaries, which is written about girls from all over the world. It's by many different authors, and each title has the name of the girl.

message 8: by Catherine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Catherine (spacecatherine) I think I know exactly the series you're talking about. There's one about "Gabrielle"-black haired girl, yellow dress, who lives on a river boat as an entertainer, and she has to choose between the farm boy she meets or the performer guy on the river boat. And there's "Roxanne", who's mother wants to movie to Hollywood and make her a movie star. And "Cassie" who joins a wagon train disguised as a boy to try to find her brothers, meanwhile falling in love with someone. Often in these books the girl had to choose between two boys. Am I right?

message 9: by CLM (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

CLM | 301 comments I think this might have been the Sunfire series published by Scholastic in 80s. They were all historical fiction about an eponymous teenage heroine by various authors. This site lists all the titles and time frames.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunfire_...

message 10: by Cindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) Thank you Catherine and Constance. You guys are both right. Thank so much for your help. And thanks for the link Constance.

message 11: by Brandie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Brandie (commonthistle) | 13 comments Constance, even though this wasn't my thread, I still have to thank you! I used to read the Sunfire books back in the day, and haven't even thought of them for years! When I clicked the link and read the little bits about each title, they came flooding back to me. Now I need to go look through the garage and see if I have any stashed in there...

message 12: by CLM (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

CLM | 301 comments It's funny - I don't recall reading them (although I am sure I would have liked them since I like historical fiction) but I could absolutely remember the covers. I simply kept visualizing until I saw the Sunfire logo, then did a search. I bet they are piling up in a used book store but the library copies were read until they fell apart - the problem with paperback originals!

message 13: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 34 comments I've been going through old posts and adding solved books to the group shelves. For this one (and for a couple of other series questions that I've done so far) I'm just going to add the first book in the series: Amanda.

message 14: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I have been slowing buying this series since this thread got solved. I have about half of them now. Some of them are really hard to find. I've re-read all of the ones I've been able to buy and they are still good, even after all these years. Not to mention that a lot of the historical events have peaked my interest in reading more on the subject. Thanks again to those who helped solve it!

message 15: by Thuy-Van (new)

Thuy-Van I actually spent about 2 years collecting this series through ebay. I think I have some double copies. Which ones are you still missing, Cindy?

message 16: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I am still missing Eliabeth, Caroline, Kathleen, Megan, Veronica, Rachel, Heather, Gabrielle, Merrie, Nora, Margaret, Diana, and Jennie. If you want you can email or send me a message from my profile page. I'd definitely be interested in buying some of these from you. Thanks a lot!

message 17: by Dani (new)

Dani | 2 comments I also read these books back in the day, and loved them! I am so glad that I saved all of mine, as most are out of print, or as previously stated, collectors items. I knew I would want my daughter to read them some day, so I saved them. My favorites ones were "Amanda" and "Susannah."

message 18: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I've been able to find several on bookmooch.com so I'm only missing about five now. Unfortunately, I didn't own these as a kid, I read them all from the library.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Amanda (other topics)