Best Teen Books discussion

books with cultural/country themes

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Kaye (kayelathe) | 7 comments Hello all,

I am interviewing for a young adult librarian position and I had a nice idea about doing this "passport to reading" presentation as part of my interview. I want to be able to present the panel with a list of books that are cultural/country based: think, Nausicaa of the Wind is based on Japanese themes and culture, A Single Shard for Korea, etc. Do you have any good recommendations for country/culture themed ya books? I am not trying to create a comprehensive list (after all, it's only an interview, not the real deal) but I want to go in prepared.
Thanks for any help you can give!

message 2: by Elaine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Elaine Umm, anything by Isabelle Allende would be perfect. I especially liked her teen series. One of them was called Forest of the Pygmies. It is about a boy that goes to stay with his grandmother who works for National Geographic and she ends up taking him with her to places all over the world and it is super amazing. She definently is not your average grandmother. I loved it!!!

message 3: by bjneary (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

bjneary | 236 comments I have a multicultural list in excel that I don't know how to send on this blog- can you give me your email address and I will send it
but there are many great, great books- Allende, Julia Alvarez, Edwidge Danticat, Octavia Butler, When the Legends Die by Hal Borlan, The Price of a Child by Lorene Carey, A Lesson Before Dying by Gaines, Christopher Paul Curtis, Deborah Ellis, Bucci Emecheta, Zulu Dog, Anton Ferreira, Born Confused by Tanuja Desai Hidier, Sandra Cisneros, nIGHTjOHN BY gARY pAULSEN, Pam Munoz Ryan, Janet McDonald, The Legend of Buddy Bush by Sheila Moses,Mildred Taylor, and J. Woodson.

message 4: by Kaye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Kaye (kayelathe) | 7 comments This sounds great! I had no idea Allende wrote teen books. Thanks so much.
Kaye

message 5: by Kaye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Kaye (kayelathe) | 7 comments Thanks BJ, a private message is forthcoming.

message 6: by bjneary (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

bjneary | 236 comments I hope you get the job- in your picture-is that your dog-soooo cute! When I get into school tomorrow I will send you the list.

message 7: by Kaye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Kaye (kayelathe) | 7 comments Thank you BJ! I got my list, and yes, that is our little furdaughter, Stella.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

For Cambodia:

When Broke Glass Floats by Chanrithy Him
Reflections of a Khmer Soul by Navy Phim (*wink*)