Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Ask An Author, Win A Book Corner > AC: Mary Connealy (July 26 - July 30)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rossy (last edited Jul 25, 2010 01:31PM) (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Mary Connealy, Historical & Contemporary Christian Romance author; will be joining us for a Q&A and book giveaway on July 26 - July 30.

Meet Mary: I wrote my first book when I was about twelve. A romance novel. I shudder to think what a twelve year old could know about romance. I have no idea what happened to the manuscript. I suppose my mother found it, and burned it while screaming in horror, but I’ve always been afraid to ask. Was it a hundred pages? Two? I have no idea, but I seem to remember just writing FOREVER! So I’m guessing two pages long at least.

As a new bride I marched straight out of journalism school and into the kitchen, I did a lot of scribbling. I still have those heartbreaking works of staggering genius, Ode to Roast Beef, things like that, all born out of the ‘Write What You Know’ school of literature.

I began writing more seriously when my baby went to kindergarten. Not writing well of course, but just putting words on paper. No one does anything well the first time. I’m sure Babe Ruth missed the first ball pitched to him. I’m sure Picasso smeared pages with paint-y fingers when he was a kid—as I remember he went back to that later in life. I’m sure Beethoven played the eighteenth century version of Chopsticks before went for the sonatas.

To learn more about Mary...click here

http://www.maryconnealy.com/index.html

Books: Golden Days (Heartsong Presents) by Mary Connealy Cowboy Christmas by Mary Connealy Black Hills Blessing (Romancing America) by Mary Connealy
Series:(Lassoed in Texas) Petticoat Ranch (Lassoed in Texas #1) by Mary Connealy Calico Canyon (Lassoed in Texas #2) by Mary Connealy Gingham Mountain (Lassoed in Texas, Book 3) by Mary Connealy
(South Dakota Weddings) Buffalo Gal (South Dakota Weddings, Book #1)  by Mary Connealy Clueless Cowboy (South Dakota Weddings, Book #2) by Mary Connealy The Bossy Bridegroom (South Dakota Weddings, Book #3) by Mary Connealy
(Maxie Mouse Mystery Series Omnibus) Nosy in Nebraska Of Mice...and Murder/Pride and Pestilence/The Miceman Cometh (Maxie Mouse Mystery Series Omnibus) (Heartsong Presents Mysteries) by Mary Connealy
(Montana Marriages Series) Montana Rose (Montana Marriages Series #1) by Mary Connealy Husband Tree by Mary Connealy The Wildflower Bride by Mary Connealy
(Sophie's Daughters) Doctor in Petticoats (Sophie's Daughters, #1) by Mary Connealy Wrangler in Petticoats (Sophie's Daughters, #2) by Mary Connealy

Giveaway:
Paperback copy of Doctor in Petticoats. Open to both US and Non-US Residents.

message 2: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Aug 02, 2011 05:52AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I'd like to officially welcome Mary to RRRC's Ask An Author, Win a Book event.

Good luck on the Q&A and I hope you will enjoy your time with us.

GUIDELINES FOR AUTHOR AND PARTICIPANTS:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments Hi, Yz the Whyz. I'm looking forward to talking to everyone. :)

message 4: by Teri (new)

Teri Jackson (terbear) | 208 comments hi
ok so what is you favorite book.
what author has in inspired you

message 5: by Mary (last edited Jul 26, 2010 09:13AM) (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments Well, my favorite book ever is To Kill a Mockingbird, but I don't think that was a real inspiration, except maybe for the way Harper Lee wove humor into an incredibly deadly serious book.

Inspiration? Clive Cussler. His gift for action.
Walter Farley (believe it or not). Anyone read one of his Black Stallion books. I read them as a child. Devoured them is probably more true. It's the first time I remember reading a book and thinking, "How did he do that?" He's take a ... what? Two minute? Five minute? Horse race and stretch it for twenty pages and it was such an intense experience. I could HEAR the hooves pounding, smell the dust, feel the big bodies crushing against each other. Amazing skill.
Later on, Mary Higgins Clark for the roller coaster way she writes an entire novel, so you can't escape from it.
And more recently, I love Julie Garwood and Amanda Quick. I love they way they write suspense with action and romance and most of all COMEDY.
If they're falling in love and sassing each other while they're running for their lives, then I'm happy.
That's what I love to read, so that's what I write.
I write western historical romance. I call it Romantic Comedy with Cowboys. Garwood and Quick I particularly love in their regency novels. But the comedy is what's the big hook for me.

message 6: by Teri (new)

Teri Jackson (terbear) | 208 comments that's cool
so what made you want to write about western historical romance?
and what is your favorite place to be.

message 7: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Hi Mary!

It says in the introduction that you are a Contemporary Christian Romance author.

What made you decide to focus on Christian romance than just regular contemporary romance, and what is the difference?

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments Teri, I wrote for ten years before I got my first book published. In those years I wrote everything. Contemporary suspense, sweet romances, gothic murder mysteries, you name it.
The historical romance is what finally sold. Then the publisher who bought my first book wanted everything else I had that fit that brand.
I had twenty finished books on my computer when I got that first contract so I'd done a lot of EVERYTHING.

The first five historical romantic comedy westerns were already written. By then I was BRANDED. And I love doing it, so it works for me.

My favorite place to be??? You mean like...for real or in fiction. :)
I'm a crazed homebody. I've got four grown daughters (they were in the inspiration for Petticoat Ranch) and I love to spend time with them. And I've got a granddaughter, one tiny, precious, perfect granddaughter. I can spend hours with her, just watching her be cute and never tire of it. They live about an hour away from us so we run over and see her pretty often.

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments Yz, I remember so vividly why I changed to Christian fiction. I remember reading an article in Romance Writer's Report, the magazine published by Romance Writer's of America, about a new line at Harlequin. Steeple Hill. Inspirational Christian romance.
I'd been writing for years but I'm just not comfortable writing profanity and graphic sex. I read widely in all genres and have fun reading them, but when it came to WRITING that, I just didn't.

So, I had all these clean, sweet romances written and by that time there was really only one publisher left who would publish books that squeaky clean, Harlequin Silhouette. Add in that they were the only ones left who'd publish romances without needing an agent to submit.

So I'm writing along and with only one possible market for my work and here comes Steeple Hill. And I've got all these books written and though there wasn't a faith thread in there, the characters were conducting themselves as Christians, it was so easy to just verbalize what was already unwritten in those books.
This whole genre was just being born and here I sat with my clean romantic comedies all ready to POUNCE.

I believe my POUNCING took another five or six years though, but finally, now I've fully pounced. :)

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments Oh, and I have about six books published that qualify as contemporary Christian romance, but the others are historical western romantic comedies.

message 11: by Pattie (new)

Pattie (pattierwr) Hi Mary! Just popping in to say hi! I met you last year in Fargo at the Christian bookstore and then we ran into each other again at Barnes & Noble. We're in Texas now--nothing like moving from one weather extreme to the other!

So what's coming up for you next in the way of writing projects?

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments ACK Pattie!!! I knew you moved, girl. I'm going to be back in Fargo next week. August 6th. You were so fun to have around and your girls. I suspect I'm gonna be MUCH LONELIER without you there.

Doctor in Petticoats is book one of a new series. Wrangler in Petticoats comes in October and Sharpshooter in Petticoats comes in January. I've got eight books contracted beyond that, so I'm in the business for a while yet. :)

message 13: by Lacey (new)

Lacey Wow! You wrote a ton of books! I'm excited to see that you've been so successful.

What inspires you the most to write? Is it music or your surroundings?

message 14: by Pattie (new)

Pattie (pattierwr) Doctor in Petticoats is book one of a new series. Wrangler in Petticoats comes in October and Sharpshooter in Petticoats comes in January. I've got eight books contracted beyond that, so I'm in the business for a while yet. :)
..."

That's great!

message 15: by Teri (new)

Teri Jackson (terbear) | 208 comments ok thanks so

who is your favorite character in your books

message 16: by Mary (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments Hi, Lacey. You know, if you sit at your computer all day every day for ten years makin' stuff up and you never get published then you're an obsessive compulsive loner.

If, however, someone finally publishes your book and you've got all these finished books to sell, then you're a highly accomplished, hard working novelist with a top notch work ethic.

So, whew, I got published so the men my husband was getting ready to send...the men with white coats and a net...were called off at the last possible moment.

I just write. No music. No mood. It's really terrific someone pays me to do it because I can't seem to stop.

message 17: by Mary (last edited Jul 26, 2010 02:48PM) (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments Wow, Teri. A mean question honestly, making me choose. Shame on you!!!

Hmmmm...I suppose I love Belle Tanner as much as anyone. She's the heroine who begins The Husband Tree by burying her third worthless husband and vowing to never marry again.

Sharpshooter in Petticoats is about as much fun as I've ever had writing a book because it wrapped up a trilogy that had roots in six other of my books. It was insanely fun.

Red Dawson, in Montana Rose is maybe my favorite hero. Sooooo sweet. The perfect man. All men should immediately go out and change to be just like him.

I love no one more than Clay McClellen, the clueless mountain man who'd never been around women who found himself married to a widow with four daughters, that's Petticoat Ranch.

I adored Nick O'Connor in Of Mice...and Murder, a cozy mystery set in small town Nebraska. A tall, dark, handsome rich guy who, in his head, was eternally frozen as the chubby, nerdy twelve year old who'd been bullied in Junior High.

I think of the macho tough guy heroes, none is more beloved to me than Tom Linscott in Sharpshooter in Petticoats. After the first two books in that series with kind of odd ball heroes.
Doctor in Petticoats, the hero was a burned out former army doctor who was, let's face it, insane.
Wrangler in Petticoats the hero was a western artist who saves the life of the toughest little Texas cowgirl to ever ride the range in man's pants. He decides to keep her but she's a quick healer and the bad guys who want her dead are coming fast.

A perfectly mismatched pair if ever there was one.

I love all my characters. If I didn't, I would work on them until I did love them.

message 18: by Teri (new)

Teri Jackson (terbear) | 208 comments thanks for awsering that alot of the authors just chose one but loving all of them is great to :D

when you first started writing did you have someone read your books.

message 19: by Mary (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments I tried a critique group for a while, but the one I found was over an hour drive away and it was just too far. I couldn't go very often and it wasn't useful, although they were nice ladies and I still know a few of them well and love them.
Later, I found an online critique group and worked with them. They really taught me a lot and maybe I taught them, too. It's funny but it seems like I'd read their book and see all these 'mistakes' then they'd read mine and see my mistakes and they'd be the SAME mistakes.
We found out it was just hard to view our own work with any detachment.
I also entered a lot of contests. The critiques I got from those contests helped me a lot.

message 20: by Teri (new)

Teri Jackson (terbear) | 208 comments all right that is cool

when you write do you set a number of pages that you will write for that day?

message 21: by Mary (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments For years I had a 300 word a day goal. I chose that because it's really SHORT. It's about three paragraphs.
I found that it was the FIRST SENTENCE that was hard to write. So by setting a really DO-ABLE goal I was forced to open the document and START.

Once I started I'd often write more, but I tried to never write less. Now that I'm published I write 1000 words a day. I try to do this seven days a week. I'm talking about forward progress, publishable words on my WIP. I don't count blog posts or revision work on other books.

I also forgive myself if I fail. I tried to raise it to 2000 but it's hard to sustain. Man oh man, can you imagine how much I could accomplish if i could write 2000 words a day consistantly? My books are 90,000 words long. I could write a book every six weeks.

That would be SWEET.

message 22: by Teri (new)

Teri Jackson (terbear) | 208 comments that would be SWEET :D

what are some of you favorite book stores?

message 23: by Mary (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments I love all bookstores. I love libraries, too. I think I have an odd affinity for books and paper and maybe even ink.

I have a Parables fairly near my house that is such a beautiful store. Barnes and Noble has always been really good to me when I stop in one ANYWHERE. They usually let me sign any books I have in stock. There's Borders near me, too (near is relative, I live WAAAAY out in the country) And they're so friendly I feel like I'm actually personal friends with whoever is working the customer service desk.

message 24: by Teri (new)

Teri Jackson (terbear) | 208 comments well that is fun
what type of books will you not read?

message 25: by Mary (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments Well, I love romance. So I usually stick with that, but there are some exceptions.
I'm a huge fan of Jonathan and Faye Kellerman. Patricia Cornwell, though I haven't read her last few. It got a little soap opera-ish which I hated because I think Kay Scarpetta was once the most fantastic fictional creation in existance.
I read Sue Grafton. I'm a HUGE Clive Cussler fan, thougha gain, since he started having co-writers, not so much.
Some James Patterson. I read John Grisham faithfully before he started getting real creative. I loved the old standby legal thrillers. Though I've heard his newer work is really good.
What type of book will I not read?
I'm not a big fan of Stephen King. I recoginize the skills, I do. I think he's brilliant, but I just don't go for that kind of fear.
I absolutely think Dean Koontz rises to the level of poetry sometimes. But I'm telling you I was SCARRED FOR LIFE by Velocity. I mean I woke up SCREAMING and I'm not kidding and I don't do that.

All I'm saying is, if you read that book and you get to the words The First Wound...just skip forward. Assume the wound is ghastly hideous and all the other WOUNDS, too, and spare yourself the pain.

I also don't like to cry, at least not a LOT in books and there are a few authors that consistantly make me cry and again, I recognize the gift, the skill, and admire it, though I don't aspire to it. But crying is just not the ride I wanta take when I'm reading.

Not a big fantasy fan. I've never read Lord of the Rings. Never read the vampire romance genre, though I intend to some day. I just haven't gotten around it it.
I loved Harry Potter and I suppose I'd love Twilight, but I just don't want to start such huge volumens.
I love the sci-fi/fantasy stuff Amanda Quick/Jayne Anne Krentz is doing, though I liked her old stuff more.

I like heat and passion in books. I read Nora Roberts, Elizabeth Lowell, Sandra Brown, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Jennifer Crusie and all the greats like that, I adore them and they're spicy enough, but I read one erotica once. I'm sorry, I found it tedious. Boring honestly.

message 26: by Emily (new)

Emily Hi Mary. :^)

Who are your literary crushes?

If you were stuck on a desert island, what 3 books would you wish to have with you?

What is the best piece of advice you ever received?

message 27: by Lacey (new)

Lacey Hi Again!

Okay so here's a list of questions I have for you! :)

1. Are there any deleted scenes you wish was kept in any of your books?

2. Have you met any fellow writers?

3. What is one piece of Advice you'd give for new writers like me?

4. What do you do when you have writers block?

5. What is your dream vacation?

6. What is your absolute favorite book? Author?

message 28: by Teri (new)

Teri Jackson (terbear) | 208 comments hia

are you working on any new books right now?

message 29: by Mary (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments Wow, I'm gone for a few hours and I come back to NINE questions. Cool.

Literary crushes???

Again with the hard questions. I have some good writer FRIENDS so I'd probably want to get stuck with them. In fact my blog, Seekerville, has as it's motto, Escape from Unpubbed Island. So the Island theme works pretty well for me.

http://www.seekerville.blogspot.com/
We started the blog, fifteen of us, when none of us were published, and now fourteen of us are, and the one remaining is VERY CLOSE. With serious interest in a few directions.

So I've spent some years on a cyber island with friends already.

AS for what beloved AUTHORS I'd like to have on the island, yikes, very hard. Can I have someone who's an author WITH a TV Talk Show? So we could become friends and when we escaped from the island he or she would have me on his or her show and I'd sell a million books.

The best piece of advice for writing?

The best writing is re-writing. That's always stuck with me.

Another one, one I pass one a lot, keep writing, whatever you learn you have to APPLY to master it. Write and keep writing and write some more.

message 30: by Mary (last edited Jul 27, 2010 06:01PM) (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments Question 1: Lacey there is a deleted scene in my very first book where I just cut too deep.
I write Christian fiction and it is, above all, CLEAN. So, first book, I really censured myself on all things ... ahem ... physical you might say.

But I talked with my editor about that later and I said I kept getting teased by people saying things like, "When did she get pregnant, I missed that."

And I asked him how would I know just what to include and what was too much and So HE said (my editor), "Stop censoring yourself. Let me censor you. You write what you want to write and if you go to far, I'll let you know."
Honestly, I've been surprised and delighted with the amount of passion he and my publisher have allowed me. I like some HEAT in a book.

message 31: by Mary (last edited Jul 27, 2010 06:02PM) (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments Question 2: I have met LOTS of writers and I just love talking with writers. No one else is fascinated, for example, by different shapes of covered wagons, or cattle drive trails, or a website that tells how much eggs cost in 1880. Or how to use Google to find ... whatever...
I live a LONG way out away from a town so I don't get together with writers that often. I belong to a local chapter of RWA and it's about a 1 1/2 hour drive to the monthly meetings and I get there when I can.
I also have my Seeker buddies. And a Yahoo group for the ladies I'm on Petticoats and Pistols with. That's my other blog devoted to writers of western romance. http://www.petticoatsandpistols.com/
And I belong to ACFW, American Christian Fiction Writers and I attend their conference every year if possible. That's coming in September and I see people there I love that I never see any other time.

message 32: by Mary (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments Question 3: Write.
That's it.

Write and keep writing.
Study, take classes, read books on the craft, enter contests, join a critique group, join professional organizations, all of those are great, but nothing you learn from ANY of it will matter if you don't sit down and apply what you learn to your books.

message 33: by Mary (last edited Jul 27, 2010 06:03PM) (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments Question 4: I solve all my plot problems and writer's block problems by having someone shoot somebody.

Seriously.

I just start bullets flying and figure out who's doing the shooting and why later. It works like a charm. Of course I write westerns.

message 34: by Mary (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments Question 5: Dream Vacation huh???

Wow, Hmmmmm. I'm a real homebody. I have a bucket list but it's not a real burning passion.

I'd like to take a cruise up the Inside Passage to Alaska.
I'd like to stay at the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego.
I'd like to go to Yellowstone.
I'd like to see a redwood and/or a sequoia.
I'd like to see those pyramids in Mexico.

I can barely keep milk in the house. How'm I suppose to take a vacation huh???

message 35: by Mary (last edited Jul 27, 2010 06:09PM) (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments Question 6: Favorite book of all time, To Kill a Mockingbird.
A very close second A Lantern in her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich. Everyone go read it and then report back. It's the most powerful emotional experience I've ever had. I'm not sure why.
Contemporary books I love...McKenzie's Mountain by Linda Howard.
Midnight at Ruby Bayou by Elizabeth Lowell
Mischief by Jayne Anne Krentz
Favorite, most perfect CHAPTER ever written, Chapter Seven of Breathing Room by Susan Elizabeth Phillips.
Book I really adore and I'm not sure why specifically, just the whole package, Angels Fall, by Nora Roberts.
Favorite contemporary book of all time, Matchmaker by Jude Deveraux, it's book #2 in a 3 in 1 book called The Invitation. Absolutely hilarious, odd, short little book. The best heroine of all time. Of course she was a writer so maybe that's why I loved it.
I love my own work, too. :)

message 36: by Mary (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments Are you working on new books right now.
I am. Doctor in Petticoats, which just released is book #1 in a new series. After this I have contracts for...let me count...NINE more books stretching out until 2013 or so. More romantic comedy with cowboys. I'm hoping I can keep doing this for a long, long time. :)

message 37: by Teri (new)

Teri Jackson (terbear) | 208 comments i hope so to :D

how many books would you say you own?

message 38: by Mary (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments Oh boy, big number. 200-300?
And I go through so many MORE that I read and pass on to a used bookstore or donate or give away.

But I've got my favorites and I cling to them and re-read them. I once in a while try to go through and clear them out but somehow I still end up with a LOT.

message 39: by Teri (new)

Teri Jackson (terbear) | 208 comments good morning

wow that is alot. um how do you come up with the covers that you do i know that it is different for every one

message 40: by Mary (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments Barbour, my publisher, does the cover work.
We've all agreed no faces is sort of a 'brand' of mine so, beyond that, they do all the faces and send me the final possible covers. I usually get a few to choose from but. I love what they do and trust them and the cover is about 100% out of my control.
I do get what they call a Cover Background Sheet for each book and I pitch ideas to them. They ask for a lot of questions and use what I send them to create the cover.
They ask what the hero/heroine look like. The setting. I've got one coming next May set in the Grand Canyon and the cover they came up with is STUNNING. A rearing horse with a woman riding it, only her legs and skirt showing, with the Grand Canyon as the background.

message 41: by Mary (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments Barbour, my publisher, does the cover work.
We've all agreed no faces is sort of a 'brand' of mine so, beyond that, they do all the faces and send me the final possible covers. I usually get a few to choose from but. I love what they do and trust them and the cover is about 100% out of my control.
I do get what they call a Cover Background Sheet for each book and I pitch ideas to them. They ask for a lot of questions and use what I send them to create the cover.
They ask what the hero/heroine look like. The setting. I've got one coming next May set in the Grand Canyon and the cover they came up with is STUNNING. A rearing horse with a woman riding it, only her legs and skirt showing, with the Grand Canyon as the background.

message 42: by Teri (new)

Teri Jackson (terbear) | 208 comments cool so
when you were writing your story did you have any trouble with it at all?

message 43: by Mary (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments Trouble, hmmmm....I very often do a LOT of revisions. So it's not like PURE GENIUS just flows from my fingertips. (shocker)
I do have trouble with action scenes. I feel like I write them well, but they're HARD. I find myself shying away from them, procrastinating, going back and revising earlier parts of the manuscript, and it's sort of subconscious. I catch myself tinkering with the book and realize it's because I'm dreading the action scene.
What I've tried to do is give myself permission to do it BADLY. Because I can't seem to do it well the first time. So, I've got to do it WRONG, get it down, then start fixing it.
Since the avoidance is seriously almost subconscious, I've tried to be a little more honest with myself, and FACE MY DEMONS...you might say...and just dive in a tackle the scene badly.

message 44: by Quilt (new)

Quilt Lady | 2 comments Hi Mary, nice to see your here. I love all your answers to the questions and its covered most things I would want to ask. I laugh when you said you have only read one erotic romance, I feel about the same as you do about them. I think they are a little boring and lacking in story line. Oh well I just wanted to say I love your books. I think I won this one at P&P just haven't got it yet! I loved your Montana Rose series and I am sure this one will be just as good! Thanks for sharing with us!

message 45: by Mary (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments you won it but didn't get it yet?

Uhoh. If it doesn't show up let me know. We can blame the post office if it makes you feel better, but I'm fully capable of forgetting.
I blame my strange disorganization for the fact that I spend most of my mental life in the 1880s. Reality gets a little INTENSE for me.

If the book doesn't come, email me and let me know.
mary@maryconnealy . com

message 46: by Quilt (new)

Quilt Lady | 2 comments I will give it a couple of weeks before I e-mail you. If I don't forget. It could be lost in the mail but then again I wonder if the post office really delivers to the right address sometimes. You just can never tell with snail mail anymore.

message 47: by Teri (new)

Teri Jackson (terbear) | 208 comments hi

um when you were writing your book did you have to research some of the thing in it?

and thanks again for answering my questions :)

message 48: by Mary (last edited Jul 28, 2010 08:45PM) (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments You know I was just reading Doctor in Petticoats. Yes, I reread my books...
And I read this ONE SENTENCE. Not an important sentence, a secondary character said to a thirdary character (yes thirdary is a word) and he makes some comment ... very much in passing ... about a Civil War battle that they were both in though they never met.

Oh, you were with Grant at Gettysburg? So was I. (I made that up, I don't remember the line now)

I remembered researching that sentence for about two hours. That's the thing with research, first of all, it's fascinating. Secondarily, if you're procrastinating because you don't want to write, you can really get off chasing down rabbit trails. Thirdarily (yes that's a word, too) you need to get some teensy fact of some forgotten battle right. So all this research...then one sentence.

But by golly, that sentence is RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do most of my research from stored memories of John Wayne Movies and Louis L'Amour books.

Honestly, I've learned that if I research something and am pretty sure it's true but it is in direct disagreement with something I learned from Wayne or L'Amour, I'll probably go with them. And the reader will probably not like it if I DON'T go with them.

message 49: by Teri (new)

Teri Jackson (terbear) | 208 comments good morning Mary,

do you have a job other then your book writing?

message 50: by Mary (last edited Jul 29, 2010 07:39AM) (new)

Mary Connealy (goodreadscommac) | 54 comments I do. I am a GED Instructor on an Indian Reservation. So, if you don't want to talk about books, I can teach you how to multiply fractions like nobody's business.

« previous 1