Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Yay for Gratitude

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited May 28, 2010 06:06AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Cool essay on gratitude on NPR this morning from Mary Chapin Carpenter...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/st...

I'm glad to be alive.

message 2: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) It certainly puts things in perspective.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for sharing RA, nice reminder.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yup. an Attitude Of Gratitude

message 5: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Buckley (anthonydbuckley) | 145 comments I'm still recovering from a serious operation (heart bypass). And indeed, it is the case that the overwhelming sentiment I feel is precisely that of gratitude.

Part of this is directed to the friends who bothered to send "get well" cards or even came to visit or just phoned up to talk. I am genuinely surprised how highly I regard these. (So if you have a pal in hospital, send them a card. They will appreciate it more than you think!)

Mainly it is directed to the NHS and its staff from the consultant surgeon and his team down to the humblest cleaner or distributor of coffee. These people were not only highly professional in the way they treated me, but also personally considerate and kind and indeed very funny as they did their work. ("It hurts only when I laugh!")

A small handful of these people dealt with me quite frequently so I could built up a sort of relationship. Dozens of people, however, I saw only once or twice and these too showed great professionalism and indulged in small kindnesses just because that was what they did.

So despite having felt rotten, I have some quite happy recollections of my time in hospital.

I am waiting for a suitable symbolic moment(when I have shed some remaining "complications") when I can write a letter of appreciation to these people. Unfortunately, I discover that I must address my remarks to a Complaints Department. So unless I can find better, I shall write an "Anti-Complaint" to this Department, in the hope that my remarks get passed on.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Glad to hear you are still with us Anthony.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.