Truth and Beauty Truth and Beauty discussion

Grealy's book

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Alexis Although I haven't read Truth and Beauty yet, I think a good companion book to this one would be Lucy Grealy's own book, Autobiography of a Face.

message 2: by Jess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess Gill I read Patchett's book first, and am intrigued by Grealy - "Autobiography of a face" is on my list to read.

Ruby Why Grealy first? Can't go back now. Is ...Face better than Patchett's?

Ruby

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry. I haven't read Face, only Patchett. So many books, so little time. I'd love to hear the answer to your question though.

Lydia

message 5: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan I read Truth and Beauty first - and liked it more than Autobiography of a Face but am now wondering if I would have liked it more if I'd read Face first...

Heather Ruby wrote: "Why Grealy first? Can't go back now. Is ...Face better than Patchett's?

Ruby"

If you're a sympathetic reader, one can ruin you on the other. We're talking about real people here, so it's hard to remain objective and read the words without feeling like you're taking sides.

Read "Autobiography of a Face" first. It's better written, plain and simple, no matter whose take on Lucy is correct- hers or Ann's. Heh- I guess I choose "beauty" over "truth."

Grace I read Patchett first. Through her book I discovered Grealy's autobiography. Both were good, although I preferred Patchett's writing style.

Melissa I read Truth & Beauty first, then was interested enough to read Autobiography of a Face. IMO Grealy's writing is a tad better - but she is certainly not very prolific and varied, whereas Patchett has certainly stood the test of time. What I found interesting was that Ann Patchett was not mentioned at all in Lucy's book, which is autobiographical and was written at a time period where they were alleged to be quite close.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I discovered both books at about the same time. I decided to read Grealy's book first. I'm glad I did. She explained her situation in a way that nobody else could, even Ann Patchett.

I had no idea of what to expect from Patchett's book. But I knew I had to read it. Again, I'm glad I did. She provided closure to Grealy's book that Grealy herself couldn't. I wanted to know more about the circumstances surrounding her death, and Patchett provided that for me.

I think both books were excellently written. Two books covering the same basic subject but from two different angles.

Kallie I admired both books, but prefer Grealy's style (have not, so far, taken to Patchett's). Grealey was not so prolific or versatile, no. But her book and Patchett's make pretty clear that emotional trauma, repeated unsuccessful surgeries and drug use that was both necessary and addictive interfered with Grealey being the writer she might have been.