Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Group Info > About the forum

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 01, 2010 06:21PM) (new)

This group is for fantasy series readings and discussions and is an offshoot group of the Fantasy Book Club.

Spoilers
Spoilers may be found unannounced in all series folders so it is advisable to only read those sections for novels you have already read in the series. The main folder for the complete series will contain spoilers for the entire series so it is recommended that you only read that section if you have read all the novels to date published in the series.

Please avoid posting details of latter novels in the series in the earlier novels threads (unless you state in your post that it contains spoilers) that may ruin the story for those still to complete reading the series.

If you do so your thread maybe deleted !

Starting threads
Any member can start a new thread in the folders but please check that a similar thread does not already exist before doing so.

Readings and discussions
Each month the next novel in the series will be read while the earlier novel is being discussed. When a new novel in the series becomes published that novel will become available for a reading and discussion at a to be announced date after its release.

Recommending further series for discussions
There is a folder where you can add or look at any fantasy series you would like to see read and discussed in the future. There will be a opportunity to nominate series (at a date yet to be set) which will be then voted on by members to decide which series we shall read and discuss after the current series ends. This is a good place to discuss why you would wish a certain series for a group discussion.

Note: As this group is new the overall format is still being developed.

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments It's all lookin' good, JJ.

message 3: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 19 comments Sandra, JJ,

Praise God for you both and this great idea for a group. Janny needs all the action she can get introductory to Initiate's Trial and to bolster Fortress. We know that this is totally deserving and a very good thing. Thank you.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Give the honor to JJ. All I did was agree to help.

message 5: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Thanks to Sandra for sending me the invite. I look forward to our discussions.

Hope everyone is having an excellent weekend.

Jon

message 6: by Candle (new)

Candle | 4 comments Congratulations, very nice initiative.

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 10 comments What a fantastic idea - so often most book groups only do book 1 and you want to talk about others in the series but it is hard to get those further in to be read.

message 8: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann (leslieann) | 27 comments Hello J.J.! After a long absence from Good Reads, I have decided to return in a limited capacity in order to take part in this grand discussion with my Goddess of Style, Janny Wurts. She has so helped me improve upon my own writing and I am so loving her WoL&S series, that when I go my invite, I just had to join this group. I am really looking forward to some lively and insightful discussion.

Leslie Ann

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Great! I'm sure you'll be a great contributor. I just finished the WoLS series, at least what's out to date, and absolutely love it.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Great to see you back Leslie ! I knew you enjoyed Janny's other discussions so am pleased you have returned for the series discussions.

message 11: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Leslie wrote: "Hello J.J.! After a long absence from Good Reads, I have decided to return in a limited capacity in order to take part in this grand discussion with my Goddess of Style, Janny Wurts. She has so hel..."

Welcome Back! You have been deeply missed.

message 12: by John (new)

John | 137 comments Leslie, it's so good to see you back!

message 13: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 19 comments Hi, Leslie, and welcome to the Series discussion. It promises to be huge fun, esp. w/ Janny fully onboard.

message 14: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeannekc) Leslie! Great to see you back! and now I'm intrigued to see the influence of Janny on your writing!

message 15: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann (leslieann) | 27 comments I'm deep into my fourth novel, which is a futuristic political thriller/adventure with steampunk flavorings, based on a well-known fairy tale. I hope to have the final manuscript ready for my agent by the end of this year.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the idea that it is based on a fairy tale.

message 17: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeannekc) I love both steampunk and fairy tales, sounds like a dream come true already! I'm currently designing my own steampunk costume to wear to next year's convention.

message 18: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann (leslieann) | 27 comments I will also be tricked out in steampunk gear at this years Los Angeles Sci-fi/Fantasy Con.

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 9 comments Any kind of fairy tale basis with a twist is good in my eyes. Keep us on GR posted, will you?

message 20: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann (leslieann) | 27 comments I certainly will.

message 21: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments I have a suggestion. Should there be a folder or list perhaps at the top of the group that new members can look at so they can know what we've just read, especially when it's time to nominate a new series?

I know we have the bookshelf where people can look, but it seems like they don't always do so. Perhaps a list like this might cut down on nominations for series we've previously read, especially as our bookshelf grows ever larger.

message 22: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Amelia wrote: "I have a suggestion. Should there be a folder or list perhaps at the top of the group that new members can look at so they can know what we've just read, especially when it's time to nominate a ne..."

Not a bad idea!

message 23: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 16 comments When a series wins, do we read the bonus stories as well?

message 24: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new)

Kathi | 889 comments Mod
I believe that has been done in some cases and not in others. Sometimes the people reading & discussing the series make that decision, either informally or with a vote/poll. Do you have a specific series/bonus stories in mind with this question?

message 25: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 16 comments Kathi wrote: "I believe that has been done in some cases and not in others. Sometimes the people reading & discussing the series make that decision, either informally or with a vote/poll. Do you have a specific ..."

Hi Kathi,

Yes, if the Demon Cycle wins the poll for January 2018 (which it looks like it will), will we be reading the short stories as well?

message 26: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new)

Kathi | 889 comments Mod
Nyssa wrote: "Yes, if the Demon Cycle wins the poll for January 2018 (which it looks like it will), will we be reading the short stories as well?"
Nyssa, the poll lists 5 books. I think if the group who is reading & discussing the series wants to take on the short stories, they probably can, but my guess is that time would not be set aside for that. So people would read one book per month, finishing at the end of May. The group could choose to continue and read the short stories in June (I don't know how many there are), or could add them into the previous 5 months, if the content of the short stories is better read along with certain books in the series. But whichever series is going to follow the Demon Cycle would probably start in June.

Does that make sense? And Maggie (the more senior moderator) might have a different response. This is my first month as moderator.

message 27: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 16 comments Kathi wrote: "Nyssa wrote: "Yes, if the Demon Cycle wins the poll for January 2018 (which it looks like it will), will we be reading the short stories as well?"
Nyssa, the poll lists 5 books. I think if the ..."

Thank you, Kathi,

I was just curious if there was a standard practice where bonus stories were concerned, specifically for scheduling purposes. Your response was very helpful. Congratulations on your new role as moderator.