LDS Ladies Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Threads > The Glass Castle

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 2 comments I read this book a couple of months ago and it has many places that have really terrible language in it. It also speaks of incest and other graphic subjects. I have to say that this book will be one I remember just because I can't imagine any child having to grow up in such a terrible environment and somehow turn out okay. I guess it broadened my mind as to what other people out of my sheltered existence have to go through. I would have a hard time recommending this book to our Ward book club. Some of the sisters would simply refuse to read it. Good luck!

message 2: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (mamajack) | 1 comments I read this book last summer. It is a wonderful eye-opening book that makes you grateful for your upbringing. It does have language and may be offensive to some LDS members, but if you look at it in context, you understand why the language was used. Her dad was an alchoholic...enough said...but I do reccommend this book. It was very good and I am glad I read it. I am LDS, by the way.

message 3: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 16 comments I just heard about a great site recently called ratedreviews.com where you can read a detailed review of this book and what kind of offensive material it may have in it. Here's the review of The Glass Castle. Hope this helps.

message 4: by Pianomom (new)

Pianomom Jacque wrote: "Our ward book club has decided to read this over the summer. The girl who suggested it called me this morning, she was worried that she could not remember if there was language and other situations..."

Like the others said, this book does have some very bad language. That is why I didn't recommend it for my LDS book club. However, it is an amazing book because of what the children of this family overcame. It is eye-opening and worth a read if you are willing to skip over the language parts.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.