Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > The Best Opening Track on an Album Is...?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments NPR has an article about the best opening tracks on albums...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/201...

Three that immediately come to mind are New Order's "Your Silent Face" from Power, Corruption, and Lies, "Hang On St. Christopher" from Tom Waits' Frank's Wild Years, and AC/DC's "Hell's Bells" from Back in Black. But someone on the comments from the NPR mentions Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" from Nevermind. That's a good one, too.

You?

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Two things:

1) "Thunder Road" is the best opening track of all time.

2) I screwed up when I said ""Your Silent Face" is the opening track of Power, Corruption, and Lies. It's actually the opening track of what, on a record, was side 2. Sometimes I miss records because the two sides allowed for two opening tracks, etc...e.g. "Thunder Road" and "Born to Run" could both be opening tracks. But I don't miss getting up and changing the sides every twenty minutes or so.

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments My mother still has all our old vinyls. I'll have to think on this and get back to you on it.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Money from Dark Side Of The Moon. It was actually opening track of side 2. That is one of the most famous bass lines of all times.

Welcome To The Jungle sort of set the tone for Appetite for Destruction

message 5: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) The first 2 songs on All Things Considered's blog are outstanding; Silver Bells are a band I've been listening to a lot the past couple of weeks, and "Tell 'Em" is an ass-kicking shit-stomper of an opening track.

But the best opening track ever is "Baba O'Riley" off of Who's Next.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm with RA on Thunder Road. But Baba O'Riley is an awesome song. I once made a mix of all opening songs. It was pretty intense.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.