The Sword and Laser discussion

Bitter Seeds (The Milkweed Triptych, #1)
This topic is about Bitter Seeds
2010 Reads > BS: Your superpower?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1533 comments Mod
This is only tangentially related... but if you were able to have a "superpower," which would you pick?

I would want to be able to coax electronic things like that kid from Heroes could.

Vance | 362 comments My first thought would be the "Jedi mind trick" type of power, or like Parkman from Heroes. "These are not the droids you are looking for".

William (w13rdo) | 37 comments I'd need a full blown origin story, but at the end of it, I'd be or be part of a digital sentience. Both because it would be interesting (replication, immortality, the ability to increase and express oneself through new information, time compression), it would also completely twist up things like the definition of self, the notions of spirit and soul, and that'd be wicked fun.

message 4: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1533 comments Mod
William wrote: "I'd need a full blown origin story, but at the end of it, I'd be or be part of a digital sentience. Both because it would be interesting (replication, immortality, the ability to increase and expr..."

Have you read Perdido Street Station?

terpkristin | 3696 comments I'm a klutz. I also have a genetic disorder that makes my ligaments and tendons (and some other soft tissues) tear very easily. The combination has resulted in me being injured a fair few times and is directly attributable to most of the surgeries I've had to date. Friends and co-workers have compared me to Mr. Glass from the movie "Unbreakable." I guess it makes sense that I wish to be invincible. Or at least, have the super-stretchy joints I already have, but without the tearing (sorta like ElastaGirl from The Incredibles).

message 6: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben | 116 comments Given the option, I'd be a warlock, but I'd be like Dr. Orpheus.

Brew | 44 comments Due to my extreme laziness streak, there is only one plausible power:

Telekinesis.

Steve | 34 comments Flying - no question.

Joyce (Eternity21) | 147 comments I would like to be able to teleport wherever I want to go to.

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul Crittenden (mophreo) | 20 comments Teleportation. Obviously.

terpkristin | 3696 comments Is it just because fuel (and travel in general) is so expensive these days (and a bit of a nuisance) that people want teleportation/flying abilities?

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul Crittenden (mophreo) | 20 comments @terpkristin-I suppose that the high price of fuel may be part of it but I've always wanted the ability to teleport anywhere I wanted to. Teleportation would totally change all the rules. Add in the ability to not only teleport yourself but to also teleport other objects and you win the game.

Vance | 362 comments Upon reflecting upon this topic, I had an interesting phenomenon. I realized that having certain powers would come with a huge burden to utilize the power for the benefit of others to the greatest extent possible. If I had, say, a healing ability, there would be a certain element of "playing God". If I did not go to every hospital and heal every person I could, would I not be choosing to leave some sick and even allowing them to die?

So, I found myself shying away from abilities that would carry such far-reaching responsibilities and leaning toward those that could only benefit me or others in a very limited and "do-able" way. Odd.

message 14: by Steve (last edited May 26, 2010 12:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steve | 34 comments @terpkristin - A couple of years ago I was on a float plane taking a flight to an island. The flight was full so I ended up sitting in the co-pilot's seat. The view from that forward window was awesome and convinced me right there that if I ever had my x-men moment (you know, the 13-year old's day dream of getting hit on the head by a magic meteorite/bitten by a radioactive seagull/unearthing a long lost alien artefact and gaining some sort of power as a result) it would be flying.

The fact that I was 39 and still thinking about my x-men moment probably reveals too much, but there you go.

Joyce (Eternity21) | 147 comments I want teleportation because I have family so far away and I could just pop in and say hi without having to book a plane, etc all the problems with traveling.

message 16: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5101 comments I kinda liked Janeane Garofalo's bowling ball from hell in Mystery Men.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lapowell) Teleportation, definitely!

message 18: by Alan (new)

Alan (ProfessorAlan) | 72 comments invisibility.

message 19: by Eric (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eric Gardner | 113 comments instant healing

message 20: by Dan (new)

Dan | 6 comments Precog - Gretel has it figured out

Louis (osiramon) | 60 comments The problem with precog is when you cannot get a solution you really want. There is a reason so many soldiers had to die. There will be a day when she has to sacrifice her brother.

For my own superpower, I would like teleportation most of all.

message 22: by Kris (new)

Kris (KVolk) | 797 comments Create something from nothing....

Contrast | 6 comments Awesome topic.

I would say control the flow of time, slow it down, pause it, and be able to jump to any point in time.

I could witness any event in history, kill any evil leader before they get to power, or just make loads of money like Biff in Back to the Future 2.

Brad T. | 217 comments Im a hobby gardner. I'd love to be able to grow plants simply by touching them. First order of business would be to fill the local food bank.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2316 comments Add another vote to teleportation.

Leighann (zhelenstilo) Telekinesis for me. It's something I've wished I had for a good portion of my life. (And yeah... it's mostly out of laziness.)

William (w13rdo) | 37 comments Brad wrote: "Im a hobby gardner. I'd love to be able to grow plants simply by touching them. First order of business would be to fill the local food bank."

you win :)

message 28: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (JoshuaCaleb) | 38 comments There are several powers I would like to have: speed, telekinesis, invisibility, flight, etc. But all of these would have certain drawbacks or responsibility like Vance pointed out. Upon further reflection, I realized that the most useful, practical, and ultimate power would be...... Immortality.
Think about it; you could do anything and everything you want. You could become the smartest person on the planet; the richest person, or the deadliest. You could watch the future unfold before your eyes; you could become a legend in your own time.
Granted, your emotions might take a hit since you would obviously outlast all your loved ones. And some have speculated that immortality could lead to death by boredom.
But all in all, I think that's the power I'd want to have.

Michael Guenther | 14 comments Shape Change.

'Nuff Said.

message 30: by Peter Freeman (new)

Peter Freeman | 12 comments This is definitely a tough one. I'd love speed or strength. Though telekinesis has been a long favorite of mine.

message 31: by Eric (new)

Eric (EKnapp49) | 11 comments I would have to say “The ability to cloud people’s minds so they cannot see me.” I am a long time fan of “The Shadow” from old time radio.

message 32: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark Miller (mercutiom) | 28 comments I'm a big fan of perfect telekinesis. The kind of elemental control that allows you to bend light waves around you so you can be invisible, stop molecules from vibrating so you can sneak perfectly, manipulate neurons in an enemy to make them forget you existed. That's the superpower I want.

message 33: by Hope (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hope (littlehope) | 82 comments Shape Shifting all the way. :)

message 34: by Justin (new)

Justin Beam | 3 comments The orbing power from Charmed.

message 35: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5101 comments To be able to turn invisible, but only when no one is looking.

message 36: by German (new) - added it

German Vargas (germanvargas) | 12 comments Omnipotence? but that's cheating, so I choose PermanentMemoryMegaFastSpeedreadingSuperIQandNoNeedForSleepWithVeryLongLifespan. Then I could just INVENT stuff and become a super cyborg immortal... or I could hurry up and finish my dissertation...

message 37: by Zombie (new) - added it

Zombie (ZombieJohnson) | 1 comments Superspeed is what I think of first cause of all of the stuff I could get done, skills I could learn, knowledge I could cram into my brain, but it ends up just reminding me of that song by Jim's Big Ego. "...and time keeps draggin' on..." might be a bad choice.

Time control is a good one in its place. The ability to stop and rewind time on a whim. Groundhog Day comes to mind with that power. Get all the benefits of the speed without the ultimate loneliness.

Adrian Pienaru (adi_pie) | 124 comments Time manipulation would be a great power but only if I were immune to any change I might make in the timeline, time paradoxes are not fun to figure out, but if not, well, I can always rule the world from now on.

message 39: by Jeff (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jeff Iverson (otherworld) | 13 comments Teleportation.

Where should I go today?
It is 7:29, I have to be to work at 7:30. No problemo.
I have to go the the bank to make a withdrawal.

The list goes on.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

The ability to pull exact change out of my pocket. No more digging at the drive-thru.

message 41: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Littler (alittler) | 24 comments As a long-time fan of such questions, I have long since chosen the most efficient of powers: animorphation (word?). If I need to fly I can be a bird, if I need to punch in a face, I can be a gorilla, etc etc

message 42: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments I want the "super power" to have all stop lights turn green when I come up to them, or the ability to have all elevators already on my floor when I hit the up button.

Mur Lafferty’s first novel, "Playing for Keeps" covers this pretty well. Anyone interested in downloading the audiobook version or pdf of it for free can go to her site to et it: http://www.playingforkeepsnovel.com/

message 43: by Mnchur (new)

Mnchur | 24 comments I would have the power to change my clothes instantly anytime I passed through a doorway. To make it even better I wouldn't want to have control over what clothes I changed into.

message 44: by Randy (new)

Randy It would need to be a power that has a low "temptation" to misuse value and something I could use and enjoy. I think "flying" would be cool as in up up and away. Slip out the back door at night and visit the world be back before sunrise. Or stay at the location and return a different night.

message 45: by Kris (new)

Kris (KVolk) | 797 comments I would add another one, the ability to grant some one else a wish once and has to not harm anyone....

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd want Astral Travel. Being able to project out-of-body into untold worlds.

Exploring an endless number of places and realms, making alliances with things from beyond the veil, fighting unseen evils, manipulating behind-the-scenes forces, it would be great.

message 47: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (Shaeon) Teleportation, for strictly non-heroic reasons - I'd just like to get places quickly.

Super-speed would be nice too, if it meant I could wake up 10 minutes before I needed to be at work and shower, prepare breakfast, and get to work super-fast.

Interesting that someone asked if this is because of the price of travel - no, I just want to get places even faster than modern travel permits. But it's an interesting point that super-speed and teleportation would be green travel options.

message 48: by Welwyn (new)

Welwyn Wilton Katz | 46 comments You're all funny, but I must say the award for Super Kindness was taken by Kris.

message 49: by Glen (new) - added it

Glen | 10 comments Shannon wrote: "Teleportation, for strictly non-heroic reasons - I'd just like to get places quickly.

Super-speed would be nice too, if it meant I could wake up 10 minutes before I needed to be at work and sho..."

Maybe you should just get a TARDIS like Dr Who? I've been wanting one of those myself. What could be better than hooking a nice fully furnished pocket universe of your own to any spot in space-time?

message 50: by Kris (new)

Kris (KVolk) | 797 comments Welwyn wrote: "You're all funny, but I must say the award for Super Kindness was taken by Kris."

thx Welwyn...thats sweet...;)

« previous 1