Goodtunes discussion

Questions > How Did Your Tastes in Music Evolve?

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Just curious. How did you become a music fan? What made you lean towards one type of music over the other?

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) My answer:

I grew up with music. My mother is a big music lover. There was always music on in the house and in the car. She was also an eclectic music fan. I grew up listening to most everything except country--probably why I don't care for it. She played folk, gospel, pop, disco (a little--not much), classical, some Latin, R&B/Soul, you name it.

As for my own music tastes--I love music with a good instrumentation (a real must for me), I also love a good beat, and I am fussy about vocals. I had a little bit of music training, so musicianship is important to me. I grew up watching MTV in the early to mid 80s, so I am seriously into 80s music. Duran Duran will always be my favorite band, and New Wave is one of my all time favorite types of music. Because I love to dance and I like a good beat, I tend to enjoy dancey music, or music I can dance to. My sister rubbed off on me a little so that I like guitar in music (not so much heavy metal--I love alternative rock music, particularly postpunk).

Sorry for the long answer.

message 3: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Is there anyone who doesn't like music? Surely not. I grew up listening to whatever pop or country songs were playing on the stations my parents were listening to. I don't even remember the first album I bought. Er, maybe my Enlebert Humperdink album.

When I was about 8 or 9 a babysitter brought her 45 of Joan Baez's "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." I don't know if she gave it to me or I bought my own copy, but I can remember listening to that song over and over again on my little kiddie record player.

I've loved rhymes and poetry as far back as I can remember, and this is what drove me to folk music. With folk music you can hear every word clearly; absorb the story the lyrics are telling.

But now I like all kinds of music. And I lean towards groups that I listened to during the good, warm-memoried years of my childhood and adulthood: The Who; Led Zeppelin; The Beatles; Talking Heads; Madonna; CCR; Coldplay; Counting Crows. The list is pretty much endless.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Isn't it funny how a much-loved song will take you back? I think that's why I love 80s music. I had a pretty good childhood, although not perfect. 80s music makes me thing about the good times.

message 5: by Tressa (last edited May 25, 2010 07:11AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I don't play the radio at all, but it was on all the time when I was a kid. Some of the songs remind me of getting up and going to school on a cold winter morning, or playing wiffle ball in the backyard with my family. Those were when the catchy pop songs of the '70s played; the great deacade of singers/songwriters.

I loved every year of my thirties--it's when I bought my first house and then met my future husband. This was in the nineties when Coldplay and Radiohead and The Verve and Pearl Jam, et. al. were in rotation on the radio. Anytime I hear their music I feel good.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Oh, that was college music for me! 90s had some good alternative music that wasn't grunge.

message 7: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I loved the music of the '90s.

message 8: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 328 comments I am growing up (haha) in a musical family, and so I've a;ways had some new arist to find in the mountain of CDs we have. But when I really first started listening to music, it was (unfourtanatly) Hannnah Montana and other such Disney Artists. Then my brother started listening to Foreigner and Boston and our classic rock station a lot more. So, naturally, I was drawn and got hooked on Heart. They were my first obsession (it's still going on)and it was uphill from there. And since I've gotten into some modernish music and other stuff. So...thats my story.

message 9: by R (new)

R (feste) Like Guitar Chick I had a mountain of CDs and records to take my pick from when I was younger. I have memories of sitting in the car with my dad, the radio blaring - Led Zep, the Who, ELO, Bob Dylan, Jim Croce... His taste has definitely influenced mine.

Beyond that? I'd say that the first band I really got besotted with was the Beatles, and because of that I have a huge thing for trippy/psychedelic stuff and vocal harmonies. And I like comedy... which is why I have a soft spot for quirky lyrics, novelty acts and the like.

Oh, the first CD I bought for myself was Radiohead's Amnesiac, totally at random and on a whim. Before I'd just leeched off my parents' collection. I still have a soft spot for them, but then again it wasn't really that long ago...

message 10: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 328 comments The first REAL CD I bought was The Singles from the Pretenders. Yeah. It was a good start.

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress (last edited May 26, 2010 08:47AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I think my first official music purchase was Olivia Newton John's Greatest Hits. Don't laugh!!! I loved ONJ growing up. After that, I bought mostly Duran Duran on the rare occasions I had money.

message 12: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I loved ONJ. Don't be ashamed.

message 14: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I think my first official music purchase was Olivia Newton John's Greatest Hits. Don't laugh!!! I loved ONJ growing up. After that, I bought mostly Duran Duran on the rare occasions I had money."

I liked her a lot too. I liked a couple of her movies too, Grease and Xanadu. Showing my age again :)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I liked those too. I even liked Twist of Fate, the other movie with John Travolta.

message 16: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 328 comments I haven't seen any movies with my favorite musicians in them. Joan Jett was in a movie called Light of Day that I don't know about, Cherie Currie was in Foxes, which I don't wanna see, however Ann Wilson did a duet with Loverboy's lead singer for footloose, which I wastched.

message 17: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I liked those too. I even liked Twist of Fate, the other movie with John Travolta."

Are u talking about Two of a Kind? It featured a song called Twist of Fate.... I googled it :)

Anyway I did like that movie too. I had forgotten about it.

message 18: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (queenofegypt) My mom had a giant record player, one of those console dealies? She only had a dozen or so albums, and when she was in the right mood, she would play some for me. Ink Spots, Patti Page, Marty Robbins, Tijuana Brass are what I remember. So I came to regard music as kinda rare and sacred? I never had much money, so even buying a 45 was a big deal for me. I think my first was Ballroom Blitz by Sweet, or maybe Born to Run by Springsteen. I had a ton of 45's, maybe 50 or so. Albums were a big investment at $4-5 a piece. So I had to REALLY want it to buy it. At that delicate time in my youth I worshipped Barry Manilow!!! I have a dozen or so of those, still, just for nostalgia sake.

I had a brief fling with 8 track, because I could record my own (although how dumb is that, because the track changes always interrupt a song!) I remember having a Pablo Cruise 8 track.

Being in High School and College in the 80's means I was strongly influenced by MTV. I still miss watching nothing but videos for hours.

So I am still adamantly fond of 80's music, just about all of it. After growing up a bit, I learned to look back at things I turned my nose up at when I was younger, and appreciate them - Clapton, Stevie Ray, Stones.

i like what i like, that is what it amounts to. NIN, Chris Isaak, Cure, Keane, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Fixx, Duran Duran, KC & The Sunshine Band.

I think my music tastes have evolved to the place where I just enjoy music and don't think about it too much.

God knows, I have matured because I will even enjoy some of the country my husband loves so much and which I have always loathed.

message 19: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 328 comments Ha! I know what you mean. I can never find friends who like the same music.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I liked those too. I even liked Twist of Fate, the other movie with John Travolta."

Are u talking about Two of a Kind? It featured a song called Twist o..."

Oh, yes. Sorry about that.

message 21: by Marts (new)

Marts  (Thinker) (thinkersutopia) | 182 comments Well, I grew up hearing mostly pop music since we didn't have that many radio stations back then in the early 80s (only 2fm and 2am stations), today however we've got over 15 or something like that and most focus on the local music (soca, calypso, chutney, etc) I'm not much into that though, I guess I just stuck with my love for pop, graduated to rock/alernative, was later introduced to metal, and that's about it. I must mention though that most times its hard to find an alternative or metal fan around so sometimes its hard to keep up with the latest releases, so logging into goodtunes is a big help!

message 22: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) What the hay is chutney music?

message 23: by Marts (new)

Marts  (Thinker) (thinkersutopia) | 182 comments Tressa wrote: "What the hay is chutney music?"

Music of the East Indian community, a sort of indian version of soca which is a more upbeat version of traditional calypso, in brief, Caribbean party or fete music.

message 24: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 513 comments Mod
Well lets see. When i was growing up my dad was all about the OLD OLD school country. Marty Robbins, Hank Williams, Buck Owens, Conway Twitty, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Patsy Cline, Dottie West, Loretta Lynn. Well you get the picture, old school country, which for the most part as a little girl, who daddy always danced with, i liked them to. My mom pretty much listened to the same thing, but sometimes she would listen to MoTown. The Supremes, The Marvelettes, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, The Four Tops, The Jackson 5. Then I was in the childerns home, and i learned about Christian Gospel, and bubblegum pop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubblegu...
Then near the end of 75, i lived in an apartment complex with my dad, these guys acroos the way were always playing some kind of music. My dad told me i wasn't allowed to go over there. But I could hear them though my window, and dad wasn't always home. That's when I found out about The Eagles, Kansas, Jethro Tull, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Zeppelin, Genesis, Heart, and so many more. Now we're on to the 80's which i LOVE. Had some of my best times in the 80's. Then I got married for the second time & he played the guitar and the bass, and he knew alot about music. He showed me Metal, Jazz, Blues, Alternative, Classical, and so much more. Then Garth Brooks made country off the hook, along with Tim McGraw, Toby Keith, Allen Jackson, Reba, and so many more. You can say i'm now a Hodgepodge of music.

Sorry it's so long, but you did ask, and once i got started i couldn't stop.;)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Wow, you've had a very good music education, Lori. Not too long at all. I wanted to know!

Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie* (httpsrakesandrascalswordpresscom) I grew up in the 60s and so Elvis and Cliff Richard were a great influence on the type of music I liked. Also, in the 60s, the UK had so many great groups too numerous to mention. I was a particular fan of The Walker Brothers, who although American, found fame in the UK and Europe. I always thought Scott Walker had such a dreamy voice.

message 27: by Lori (new)

My first mother-in-law loved Elvis. We used to listen to him all the time. Even up till she died this year she kept Elvis in her car. Who ever drove her listened to him, because that's all she wanted to hear. My grandsons know more Elvis songs then I do. May she rest in peace.

message 28: by Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie* (last edited Jun 25, 2010 01:51AM) (new)

Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie* (httpsrakesandrascalswordpresscom) Rob wrote: "First album: Meet the Beatles. It all started there when I was 12.

Since then, I've been through early 80's pop phases, metal phases, punk phases, thrash phases, alternative phases, grunge p..."

I remember having the LP of Meet the Beatles back in the 60s. I just loved the black and white cover. I now have the CD and my favourite track is still "Devil in Her Heart" with George Harrison as the lead singer.

message 29: by Gary (new)

Gary | 70 comments I guess I was always destined to be a music lover, when I was 3 I was completely obsessed with Michael Jackson, dancing around the living room squealing along to his songs whenever they played the videos on TV (according to my parents). When I was 5 I got my first album on cassette (Bad by Michael Jackson). A couple of years later my dad got a Queen greatest hits album as a gift which quickly became mine, for about two years it was the only album I listened to.

After that I was starting to reach the age when you become more self aware, looking for acceptance from your peers. This lead to a grim period in my music tastes evolution, listening to top 40 pop hits and whatever was current, just because thats what everybody else was doing.

Through the 90's my tastes began to diversify, listening to Dance music along with Hip Hop while also getting to grow up during the explosion of the whole Brit Pop scene with the likes of Blur, Oasis, Pulp, The Verve and all the imitators that would follow.

Around 2001 my tastes took another radical turn, starting out with Pop Punk and Nu Metal (or more accurately Blink 182 and Limp Bizkit) I began to delve into the world of Kerrang TV. Having had earlier exposure to 'Alternative' music through my love of Beavis & Butthead as a kid, it was a road I never expected I'd take. From here my tastes became Metal, working my way through the sub genres becoming obsessed with Death Metal, Doom Metal and Thrash Metal.

In 2004 I got a job working in a music shop where I discovered the dreaded Classic Rock!!! I grew my Hair, bought a Les Paul and spent every waking hour trying to impersonate Jimmy Page. Natural progression would take me through Prog, Blues, The 60s and Rock N Roll. At some point during this period I also got into Grunge and Stoner Rock. Since then my tastes have expanded through Jazz, Country, Singer/Songwriter's like Bob Dylan and Neil Young and various Alternative Rock acts that I not previously known about.

These days I have a pretty varied taste, maybe I need a new adventure, Classical maybe???

message 30: by Gary (new)

Gary | 70 comments Wow, that's pretty long. Sorry.

message 31: by Lori (new)

Hey that's a cool progression of music Gary. Don't be sorry, someone did ask! :) Mine was long to.

message 32: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 328 comments I have absoloutly every genre in my living room. Vinyl, CDs, and ipod.

message 33: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie 1st, a question: Can someone edit the subject title? I keep thinking I am looking at a cheap Chinese movie title from a movie copy. :)

My music evolution (and as all evolution it takes awhile):

I was fortunate to be born in late 1969 and more fortunate to have a father who liked rock and roll. I didn’t know at the time, but have since learned that by the time I was born he had actually turned to country and then back to rock and roll after hating late 60’s rock and roll. Luckily, by the time I came around he was back to rock and roll so my earliest influences were Elvis and the Eagles, completely skipping over the Doors, Jimi Hendrix and The Who. For the next 10 years or so I listened to only music that he had playing. My dad was a stereo nut so he was always buying the latest stereos and building his own speakers. He was all about the quality of the sound more than the music itself. I remember as an early teen liking some song that was out and he hated it; but not because of the music but because of the quality of the recording. It blew my mind at the time but now I get it… sort of. I also had an older sister and older step sister that were entering their teens in the mid 70’s so my life was filled with pop music on the radio from them in the mornings and more substantial rock and roll music after my dad came home from work. The 70’s were a blur of a mixture of CCR, David Cassidy, the Eagles, Queen, The Everly Brothers, The Guess Who, Charley Pride, KC & the Sunshine Band, James Taylor, Fleetwood Mac, Jim Croce, Buddy Holly, Simon & Garfunkel, Linda Rondstadt, ELO, Donna Summer, Elton John, and various music from John Travolta movies.

The 80’s was more of the same music influences and then I hit my teens and one of the most amazing life changing things I have ever experienced happened. We got MTV. Of all things in my life that I can look back on and see the defining line of change in my life MTV is the one. Other influences in my life were gradual but MTV was a pleasant splash of cold water to the face. Every morning I would wake early enough to turn MTV on while I at breakfast. I would take a fast shower so that when I was combing my hair and brushing my teeth I could watch MTV in the bathroom mirror. All of a sudden my life was filled with a potpourri of different genres of rock and roll. Michael Jackson, Pat Benatar, Adam Ant, Prince, Madonna, Duran Duran and a bunch of artists that were older I had never encountered before like Journey, John Cougar, Jimi Hendrix, The Who; music that had been missing from my life seemed to fill in the gaps.

From 7th grade on I ran a fireworks stand every summer for 2 and ½ weeks. Since I could only get one radio station I quickly learned about music rotation on pop radio. It’s non-existent. 12 hour days meant I would have to listen to the same 15 songs 7 or 8 times over and over again all day long. Since my dad had MTV coming through the stereo (still not sure how he did that in ’83) I was able to record MTV on cassette and take it with me. Now, I had 12 hours of MTV w/out the videos. But I still had all the VJ’s commentary and it was so much better than local pop radio. This went on every summer for about 3 years.

My freshmen year in high school I was getting burned out on MTV and pop radio and again I was back at the fireworks stand going crazy. An older football teammate stopped one day to chat and I begged him to loan me a couple of tapes he could do without for a few weeks; anything to give me a change. Voila! He loaned me Ozzy Osbourne Blizzard of Ozz, Van Halen II, Foreigner 4 and AC/DC Black in Black. All of a sudden I understood hard rock (I’m not sure if it was called metal yet) and those guitars! Unbelievable! How could someone make those sounds and talk with 6 strings? My start of hard rock, heavy metal and hair bands was well on the way. With MTV filling in the gaps of bands I didn’t readily have available I quickly became a convert to the hair bands; Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, ZZ Top, Def Leppard, Twisted Sister, Poison, etc. Needless to say by the time I was old enough to drive hair bands played in the cassette player and pop radio was starting to play some of the hair bands as pop. Whitesnake videos dominated MTV and all of my friends were in lust with Tawny Kitaen.

After graduating high school I worked with some people that were huge music fans of different genres. One friend was all about the hair bands, the other was into the alternative scene as I was straying from the hair bands as I had since found night clubs. The last of the 80’s and early 90’s was a mixture of hard rock, alternative pop and dance music. By the early 90’s I had started my own business as a mobile disc jockey. Up into the mid-90’s I was submerged in pop and dance music.

By the time I had ended the disc jockey business I was burned out on playing music myself. My turntable, CD player and cassette deck were getting dusty while I just turned on the radio and listened to whatever was played for me. Sad but true I had lost most of my desire to find new music or even to listen to what I had.

The next 4 or 5 years I bought very few albums, or I guess CD’s at this time, and subjected myself to the abuse known as pop radio but not enough to know the artists or the names of the songs even. My wife had 2 boys and the oldest started liking music I could not stand, music that used a name that I used to love… Heavy Metal. Did I ever feel old. I had the same feelings I am sure my parents had. This is crap, nothing but noise, they aren’t singing just screaming and they can’t even play; just a load of noise. (Which, by the way, is how I still feel.) Groups like Slipknot and Linkin Park, System of Down and others entered the household and my music sensibility seemed to cower in the corner not wanting to relive all the old music I had and not finding comfort on pop radio or from influences in my own house.

One day I was looking through my CD’s to find a song to play and stumbled across an old favorite: Fizzy Fuzzy Big and Buzzy by the Refreshments. After listening and loving this album from the mid 90’s I thought I would try to see if I could find any other music from them. To my disappointment this was pretty much the only album out there. I guess the band had broken up. Thanks to Wikipedia I did a little searching and found out that the lead singer, Roger Clyne and the drummer, PH Naffah from the Refreshments had started a new band called Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. I searched around town and Barnes and Noble had a copy of the latest CD they had produced titled No More Beautiful World. I picked up the CD and put it in the car stereo and gave it a listen. It was okay, not quite like the Refreshments. Since my wife was out of town for the weekend I had plans to see 3 baseball games. The CD stayed in the truck on repeat and the 2nd time through I started liking a couple of the songs and the CD played over and over for the next 3 days. By Sunday, when my wife returned home, I met her at the door with the CD and told her what I had found and she just HAD to listen to it. I warned her that she would really need to give it a couple of times through to really get it. She had almost the same experience I did… it was okay the first time and by the 3rd time through she was loving it. I found the website www.azpeacemakers.com and started reading about the history of the band and found they had CD’s for sale online. We purchased The Whole Enchilada for $55 which included a copy of every CD they had available including two of the Refreshments CD’s totaling 8. Granted we now owned 2 copies of Fizzy Fuzzy and Beautiful World but that only meant we could leave them in each of our cars. A few years later RCPM as they are known in shorthand by the fans has become our favorite band. So much so, that we will see them live any chance we get when they come near. We have seen them live nearly a dozen times and they are as good as ever. We even took our vacation last year to go to Mexico where RCPM has an annual concert called Circus Mexicus. They anticipate having a new album release in September of this year and we are on the edge of our seats to hear it!

Not only is this a great band with great music but the guys are really good guys as well. We have met them on different occasions and they have been nothing but gracious and respectful. They live for love and peace and rock and roll. They are involved with charitable events in the Tempe, AZ area as well as Mexico. Each year during Circus Mexicus weekend the drummer, PH Naffah sponsors a charitable hot dog cookout (A Hotdog and a Smile) with donation going to the local orphanage. The one night in 2009 raised enough money to cover operational expenses for 2010.

Today I have RCPM on the iPod shuffle as well as a large number of songs from my past but my music awareness has been re-ignited and I am listening to more music new and old.

message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) My mom left the tv on MTV constantly when I was small (one of my earliest memories was Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams Are Made of This) and my dad played music of various types on his guitar. I was raised on music and I was exposed to many many decades and genres of music all throughout my life through my parents and my dad's side of the family.

As a result I latched onto music from a young age and I've always been the kind of person who had an encyclopedic jukebox in my head. If you say a phrase I remember from a song it's in my head just like that.

I grew up on new wave, elvis, 70s pop, 50s rock n roll and classic country and soon latched onto 80s pop, new wave and metal. In the 90s grunge and alternative were my standbys along with all the punk I missed in the 80s. I really do listen to most anything but favor Punk, Industrial, Goth and Alternative music over anything.

Why all of this stuff and not just one or two genres? I feel very deeply that music along with many other forms of creative expression is capable of providing a form of empathetic and therapeutic link to other people.

I spent a long time with no one but the radio to help me through my hard teen years and every song that expressed my pain or my happiness became a new way to recover or to truly express the feelings I kept to myself anywhere else.

message 35: by Marts (new)

Marts  (Thinker) (thinkersutopia) | 182 comments Re: message 35, I shall quote,

"but favor Punk, Industrial, Goth and Alternative music over anything"

Amanda, I'm with you on this anyday!!!!

message 36: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Thinker wrote: "Re: message 35, I shall quote,

"but favor Punk, Industrial, Goth and Alternative music over anything"

Amanda, I'm with you on this anyday!!!!"

Always good to find others who share my interests :)

message 37: by Lori (new)

Join the club! It doesn't cost a thing! I haven't bought a cd that i've like the whole thing of in a while. I don't think American Soldier by Queensryche last year counts for me, as i think everything they do is great. I heard the new Green Day is off the hook, all songs, but i haven't gotten it yet. I think i will as soon as i can. I'm about broke, at the end of May i spent $1350.00 on my car, and it's in the shop right now. The shop says $900.00 more, but who knows!

message 38: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 328 comments I believe thers somebody out there in they're genre of music that is amazing and there is always going to be at least one good song in every genre, so I've been expanding from Rock to Pop and Blues and anything else I can get my hands on that I llike. Never rap or country though. I just can't seem to get into that.

message 39: by Marco (new)

Marco (marcoreads) | 131 comments mommy and daddy sister and brother uncles and friends.

NOT MTV

message 40: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Growing up, the Beatles had a huge impact, Michael Jackson when they were the Jackson Five, Linda Ronstadt, folk songs, too young for Woodstock, Crosby, Stills and Young. Neil Young, These are just a few now Ii am into Hawaiian music, Elton John, Phoebe Snow, all if they have something to express via songs.