Readers Out of Carolina discussion

Favorite Local Bookstore?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 3 comments What is your favorite local bookstore?

I confess I haven't really been to many except the Open Book. Although The Needle Tree has great books, if you're into knitting.

Kathy (Bermudaonion) (bermudaonion) | 6 comments I think The Open Book is the only independent bookstore around here (except for Christian bookstores)and I was rather disappointed in it.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen (cmptrdwg) | 3 comments I normally go to Books A Million. I've never really been to The Open Book. I know where it is, I'm just normally not on that side of town. What I'd love to find is a good Used Book Store. There's a small one near me but the lady only opens it during the day a couple of days a week when I'm at work.

message 4: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (elisabethwarrick) The best used book store of them all – the Friends of the Library Used Book Sale – is this weekend at the Merovan Center on Woodruff Road. I went this spring just to check it out, and ended up leaving with 2 boxes. They have some interesting finds and some great deals!

Kathy (Bermudaonion) (bermudaonion) | 6 comments There is a used book store on Main Street in Simpsonville, next to the library. I've never been there, but I've heard it's pretty good.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 3 comments There's a Carolina Book Rack down the alley from The Open Book (mostly used books), another CBR at Cherrydale, and I think there's one called As the Page Turns out near Furman.

Kathy (Bermudaonion) (bermudaonion) | 6 comments Thanks Elisabeth! I went to the Friends of the Library Sale today. I was good, though - I only bought 4 books.

message 8: by Ellis (last edited Aug 25, 2010 04:49PM) (new)

Ellis Vidler (ellisvidler) | 2 comments Mr. K's used books has opened at Verdae on Laurens Road. It's big and has all kinds of books as well as DVDs. I miss The Open Book but Mr. K's is a good place to find used books.
There's another used bookstore in Greer called The Paperback Exchange. It's right downtown. Small but good, and they keep records of what you've already bought there.

message 9: by Ellis (new)

Ellis Vidler (ellisvidler) | 2 comments Have you been to Fiction Addiction? It's on Woodruff across from Costco. Jill, the owner, is very helpful and they have a good selection of mysteries.

message 10: by Barry (new)

Barry Parham (barryparham) | 2 comments Fiction Addiction. A good place, run by Jill, a good human. Highly recommended.

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen (cmptrdwg) | 3 comments Ellis wrote: "Have you been to Fiction Addiction? It's on Woodruff across from Costco. Jill, the owner, is very helpful and they have a good selection of mysteries."

Oh I'll have to check that one out. I hadn't heard of it before.

message 12: by David (new)

David | 1 comments I loved Bentley's on Main street. Very sorry that they closed up shop.Seems alot of the used book stores are closing. I actually having trouble finding any that are open now.

Kathy (Bermudaonion) (bermudaonion) | 6 comments I agree with Barry and Ellis, Fiction Addiction is the place to shop for books in Greenville. Hub City Books is a good if you're in Spartanburg.

Kathy (Bermudaonion) (bermudaonion) | 6 comments I think it's going to be even better!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 3 comments Scott wrote: "Fiction Addiction moved to Woods Crossing across from Haywood Mall just off of Congaree. Its still good."

Thanks for saying that, Scott; tried to find it at its old location the other day, and it wasn't there. Had no idea it had moved.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan Boyer (susanmboyer) | 1 comments I love Fiction Addiction! The new location is larger, with a small room for bookclub meetings. Jill Hendrix, the owner, hosts a lot of book-related events.

Kathy (Bermudaonion) (bermudaonion) | 6 comments Scott wrote: "There is a really good used bookstore in downtown Fountain Inn called Bookquest. They feature a lot of regional authors and books but have a lot of other stuff like Modern Library editions, etc. ..."

I'll have to check it out.