Who's Your Author? discussion

112 views
Archives - '09 - '10 > Infinity (Chronicles of Nick #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kelley Anne (last edited May 24, 2010 03:59PM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon is being released tomorrow. At first, I wasn't sure if I really cared to read this series. Basically it's a YA series that takes place before all of her other Dark-Hunter books. Then I read this on her website:

The Chronicles of Nick *is* Nick’s real and true past. There is a huge surprise (several actually) in the book that I don’t want to spoil, but when you read the book, everything you think is an inconsistency will make perfect sense to you. More than that, you will understand exactly why Nick is the way he is and why he continues to hate Acheron the way he does. But you have to be patient. All will be clear on May 25, 2010.

Nick’s series will run until it intersects with Night Pleasures and then Nick will have his own novel in the Dark-Hunter world.

Book one, Infinity, begins when Nick meets Kyrian.
Book two will pick up the next day after Infinity ends and will be out Feb 2011.

Remember the one promise that I try to keep in every book: Just when you think you know the truth about a character or event, you find out that things are seldom what they seem. Nick is one of those characters. There’s a lot more to our little Cajun than what you’ve seen to date. That’s why it takes 12 books to tell his story.

There are many, many secrets you’ll learn about a lot of characters, including Cherise and especially Jaden and Jared. Just hold on... you ain’t seen nothing yet :)


So it seems like you really are going to need to read this story to get some of those questions about some characters answered!

Anyone else planning on reading it?


message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) I have never read Sherrilyn Kenyon before, but this sounded interesting to me so I ordered it from Amazon. It shipped yesterday.


message 3: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I'm pretty sure that the audio book is supposed to be released on audible.com tomorrow too. I'll probably end up using one of my credits on it!


message 4: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 237 comments 12 books! It's going to take 12 books to tell his story?! I really like Sherrilyn Kenyon, but come on 12 books all set before Night Pleasures-that seems a bit excessive. I'll probably wind up getting them. I really am a Dark-hunter fangirl, so I don't know what I'm bitching about.


message 5: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 205 comments I like Kenyon, but part of the charm is her spice! I am not sure about a DH novel being YA. I am okay with authors who write adult fiction writing YA, but I think it works better and the fans enjoy it more, not expecting anything from a previous series. Just my 2 cents.


message 6: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments FYI for anyone interested in the audio book. It's less than $9 on audible!


message 7: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 237 comments Crystal wrote: "12 books! It's going to take 12 books to tell his story?! I really like Sherrilyn Kenyon, but come on 12 books all set before Night Pleasures-that seems a bit excessive. I'll probably wind up getti..."

I totally agree. The number of books seems excessive. I loved Nick until he turned on Acheron so I'm not sure how I feel about this new series. I'll probably wait for more reviews before committing myself to reading the first one.


message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam I received notification that my copy got shipped today, can't wait!!!!


Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments I had pre-ordered this for Kindle before I realized that it was YA but I do like Nick and want to see his story.....


message 10: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Wow! Ok, I am barely into this book. (1hour 20 minutes into the audio) and I just got a big clue as to why exactly it's going to take so many books! Well, actually, I would have assumed 10 books, not 12, but still.

Also, I can see that these books are going to change some of the thoughts on the dark-hunter world, and I am really wanting to go back now and re-read every book that has happened since Nick killed himself and then found out what he is.

This is going to be good!


message 11: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 237 comments Oh man, I'm intrigued now. I might order it...


message 12: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Both Amazon and B&N have it for about $10 on their websites. and if you are a B&N member it's free shipping. Otherwise, if you like audio books, audible.com has it for like $8.81 I think.


message 13: by Kelley Anne (last edited May 26, 2010 01:19PM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I need someone else to finish this book!!! I need to talk about it with someone! I'm not quite done, but I can't stop listening. Typically I try to only listen to brand new audio books at work. That way I always know that I have something new and interesting to listen to there, makes the time go by faster. Instead, all day around the house today I have been listening. Can't make myself wait until work tonight. In fact, I'll probably be done before work tonight.

Let's see if anyone else starts kinda freaking out when Nick's "Uncle Ambrose" shows up! I have a feeling I'm going to be re-reading a whole bunch of dark-hunter books in the next few weeks!!!

Anyone remember which of the DH books is when Nick "dies"? That's where I really need to start re-reading!


message 14: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 237 comments For some reason I'm thinking it was the book right before Dark Side of the Moon I will check.


message 15: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 237 comments I take it back, I think it was Seize the Night


message 16: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Thanks! Unfortunatly that's not one of them that has been released on audio yet, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to start my re-read.


message 17: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) I've never read Sherrilyn Kenyon before so is that going to matter when I read this?


Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments Melodie wrote: "I've never read Sherrilyn Kenyon before so is that going to matter when I read this?"

It should not matter....as I understand it these books are about Nick prior and up to his involvement in the DH series....


message 19: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments No, I don't think that you have to read them beforehand. There are things that you wont catch, but as far as I can tell, they aren't necessary things. Just some of those fun camio's and such. Most likely, as soon as you finish this book, you'll want to read the DH series and you will pick up on a few things.


message 20: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 6 comments Huge dark-hunter fan here.
You do not need to read any of the other books to read this.
If you have read all the other books, prepare for a lot of WTH? moments. This book makes you we think every thing you ever thought you knew about the dark-hunter world. You have to read it though for insight on some of the other characters we all love.
I am going to have to read it again much more slowly this time. Hopefully some of the WTH? moments will make a little more sense this time.


message 21: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 6 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "I need someone else to finish this book!!! I need to talk about it with someone! I'm not quite done, but I can't stop listening. Typically I try to only listen to brand new audio books at work. ..."
Thats why I joined this site.


message 22: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I agree! I loved the glimpses of characters that we already know and some small clues to what the future might bring. I don't think that you have to read the DH series first. But once you do, you'll recognize a few things! As for those WTH moments, just remember what Kenyon said: "everything you think is an inconsistency will make perfect sense to you". I just think that some things might take a while for us to get the answers!

Ok, time for my thoughts on this book! WARNING! SPOILERS FOR BOTH INFINITY AND FOR THE DARK HUNTER SERIES

First off, sorry if I spell anything wrong. I listened to the audio so that's one drawback. I was really impressed with this book. I'm not sure why I'm so surprised actually. I love the DH series, so I should have assumed that I'd love this series as well. But I've never been much of a fan of prequels that come out after a series has started (except for Men of the Otherworld). But I really enjoyed this!

When Nick's "Uncle Ambrose" showed up, of course I knew immediatly from the description that it was future Nick showing up. I just think that he is playing a very tricky and dangerous game by deciding Nick needs to learn all of his powers right now. Just how much is he going to end up changing for the future.

You'd assume from the very opening of the book that most of the main events in people's lives wont end up changing. But what about some of the smaller things. Like, I'd assume that Nick will still end up either dying or killing himself and probably still become a DH. But the events that lead up to that have to be at least a bit different now. All because of the fact that he's already met Simi this time around. Do you think that he will end up saving his mom, or is that her destiny? I remember in one of the books (I think it was Acheron) when Ash is talking about what he originally saw for Nick's future and how it had completely changed. I don't remember what it was that he originally saw. But if his future can change once, what's to stop it from changing again?

And what about Kody? She showed up to young Nick before current Nick ever did. But the first time around she supposedly never met Nick. So what caused that to change? And why is it that I can see her being set up to eventually be Nick's HEA? :) Also, Kody said something about freeing her brothers. How much would you like to bet that her brothers are going to end up being Jaden and Jared?

It's been about a year since I last read any of the DH books, except for Acheron and Bad Moon Rising. So I've forgotten a lot of the details. I really think that it's time for a re-read now! I don't really remember much about Jaden or Jared other than they both are basically held captive and that they are brothers. Also, I remembered that Nick was some new being, but I hadn't remembered what or what info has been shared about it before.

Oh! Another thought! "Uncle Ambrose" said that he had been alive for hundreds of years? How can that be right? Unless with the original timeline, Nick never got over all of the stuff with Ash, and has slowly gotten worse and worse, and hundreds of years later he finally decided to go back and try to change history. And with the new timeline he'll hopefully end up with an HEA a whole lot sooner!

And was it just me or was that whole scene with Artemis really odd?

I'm sure that there is lots more, but that's all that's coming to my head at the moment.


message 23: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 6 comments SPOILERS
OK, where to begin. The scene with Artemis wasn't that odd because of the interaction between Nick and her at the end of Ash's book at the wedding. I guess I already expected that.

I like your theory about Kody being Jared and Jaden's sister. AG didn't officially come out and say they were brothers she said something along the lines of Lover's brothers or really good friends" But since they are each supposed to get their own book I don't think they are lovers and their interaction was definitely more like brothers.

Nick was supposed to marry Tia Amanda and Tabby's older sister.

Yes Kody is definitely going to be Nicks HEA.

Here is where I am confused. So with this new time line how is this going to affect the rest of the dark hunters and their futures? Primarily how will this affect Ash's relationship with Tory? When Tory was taken Nick killed Satara is this still going to happen?

I worry about Nick having his powers so soon,when Menyara bound his powers she never meant for them to be be unbound. I think just having him meet Simi should have fixed all that, because it was what Ash said in anger that changed everything.

My favorite part of the book, before I realised it was an alternate reality was when When Nick asked what happened to the zombies and Ash said "My demon ate them." I laughed at that.

Since Ash won't be getting mad at Nick for sleeping with Simi I don't think Ash or his mom will die now because it was Ash's words that changed everything and caused his mom to die causing Nick to kill himself, because I think her death would be the only thing that would cause Nick to kill himself.


message 24: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 237 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "I agree! I loved the glimpses of characters that we already know and some small clues to what the future might bring. I don't think that you have to read the DH series first. But once you do, yo..."

Damn you, woman! I just went out and bought Infinity because of your spoilers when I just promised that I wouldn't buy anything but new releases - the book was so expensive I had to buy two more to get the 3 for 2 offer to justify the expense!


message 25: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 237 comments Robyn wrote: "SPOILERS...
Since Ash won't be getting mad at Nick for sleeping with Simi I don't think Ash or his mom will die now because it was Ash's words that changed everything and caused his mom to die causing Nick to kill himself, because I think her death would be the only thing that would cause Nick to kill himself."


Even though I haven't read it yet (that will soon be remedied!) Nick could die some other way. I wouldn't mind if Satara killed Tori, I really don't like her for Acheron's HEA.


message 26: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I know that I should apologize amy, but honestly you'll love it! And after reading the first book, you'll probably no longer think that 12 books sounds too excesive. What I just wonder is how she's going to fit other regular DH/WH books in while this series is coming out. Because I doubt that she will come out with more than 1-2 Nick books each year. So you figure that it will be a number of years before Nick gets his adult book. She must really have a long term plan already set up!

robyn - I had forgotten about that scene after Ash's wedding. That scene with Artimis does make a bit more sense now! I wonder if she will ever learn and become a good person? Probably not! Or else if she does, it will take some major event.

When you say that Kody will be Nick's HEA, is that just your opinion, or has Kenyon confirmed that? I really liked her!

I seriously doubt that Kenyon will let any of the already set couples break up because of the changes. I just think that she'll tweak some of the events and how exactly they happened.

BTW - I had thought that it was confirmed that Jaden and Jared were brothers, but like I said, it's been a long time since I read the series, so I really need to re-read these.

I just loved seeing the old Nick again. Wait....let me clarrify. I enjoyed seeing Nick with the personality that he used to always have. In the dark-hunter world, he has become so dark and cynical. i enjoyed seeing that sweet, snarky, sarcastic Nick again. And some of those new characters were absolutely hilarious!

What about Tabby dating a guy from a family of squires? I just remember in Kyrian's book that Tabby hates him and is trying to kill him. But if she is dating a squire, shouldn't she be a little bit more informed? Is that something that comes up in the Dark-Hunter series.

Maybe instead of starting my re-read with Seize the Night, I need to start at the beginning! If I was to start a thread for a full series re-read, anyone else interested in discussing it? I really should do that anyways or I might be lost when Dev's book comes out in August. This would be good timing for a re-read!

BTW - I really hope that Nick's mom doesn't get killed this time! I really like her.


message 27: by Literary Ames (last edited May 27, 2010 12:51PM) (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 237 comments Lol! I loved Cherise (is that her name?) too. I think I remember her treating Ash like he was her son too, like he wasn't 11,000 years old!

I'd be interested in the re-read. I've really wanted to re-read Night Pleasures, Dance with the Devil, Night Play and Seize the Night - my favourites. Oh and Xypher's book (Dream Warrior?).


Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments Kelley Anne....I would be interested in the discussion thread....after reading all the comments I was thinking I was going to have to read the series again ;-)


message 29: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Sounds good! I have to head to work right now, but I'll set up a discussion thread when I get home. I'll add a link to it on here as soon as it's set up!


message 30: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 205 comments Great. I don't think I will be reading Nick's book anytime soon. For two reasons. One, I have read a few of the DH series, but not in order, so I really don't know much about Nick. And two, I really hope it will come out in paperback in the future.


message 31: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I had a few minutes and set the thread up. Here's a link to it!

Dark-Hunter Series Read


message 32: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 6 comments Tabby was dating Eric but he dumped her because she wore him out, said she was like an energy drain or something. She talked about it in her's and Val's book.

You DO NOT have to read any of the DH books to read Nicks book. It is a great stand alone.

OK I really have to re read infinity now. I re read just one part that confused me and that was the scene out side the house right before he met Simi. I thought the Raven was Ambrose and then all the sudden it was Caleb. SO I am a little confused on the whole Caleb/Ambrose/Adarian thing.


message 33: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Lol, Caleb is the Raven. He is working for Adarian, although I don't think that he's too happy about that! Ambrose of course if the older Nick. What about when Ambrose is talking to Nick in the car, and nobody else can hear him. But then it ends up that Caleb could hear him and he calls Ambrose boss! Did I just get confused in that part? Or did Caleb think that Ambrose was Adarian?


message 34: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 6 comments See that's what I am trying to figure out, is Caleb working for older Nick and his father? *dizzy* He must be that's the only thing that makes since.


message 35: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I really think that I need to re-read part of this already! Especially all of the parts with Caleb/Ambrose/Adarian. Is it possible that Caleb is working for them both? I have a hard time seeing him working for the older Nick and Adarian not knowing that. Maybe he couldn't see older Nick in the car, just heard his voice and so he assumed that it was Adarian? I can't just easily go back and re-read the scene because I listened to the book on audio. But later I might have time to go back and find that part.


message 36: by Sam (new)

Sam I thought this was awesome book.

Now how much will really change. Remember at the beginning there's a prologue I think in Nick's voice about changing history but things still end up the same. I gave this to my 13 year old nephew to read on Sunday which is why I can't go and referance exactly what was said.

BTW: He is LOVING the book, he only had 2 chapters left when I was talking to him tonight. He was asking for the next one and I explained the series just started. He was quite disappointed. Join the club kid!

God damn it I would love to reread the series with you Kelley but my books are all packed up as I'm in the middle of a move. Maybe I'll see if I can find the box they are in.


message 37: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) I never read Kenyon before because her books didn't sound interesting to me. I should have kept that in mind when I ordered this because I didn't like it at all. I found out I really don't like zombies either, whether living or dead. Glad I was able to turn this back around on eBay for more than I paid for it!


message 38: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Melodie - do you mind me asking what it is about Kenyon's writing that you don't like?


message 39: by Melodie (last edited Jun 09, 2010 10:05AM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Kelley Anne wrote: "Melodie - do you mind me asking what it is about Kenyon's writing that you don't like?"

As I said, I hadn't read her before because her books didn't sound interesting to me. This one for some reason caught my interest when it came up as a recommendation on Amazon. The "voice" for Nick didn't come across like a 14 y.o. boy, maybe a girl, but not a boy. Also, I thought there were a lot of cliches, like the single mom stripper with the heart of a lion for one. And the constant use of the exclamation "Gah!", drove me nuts! I figure this author just isn't for me, which is okay as I've got too many I read already!


Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments I just started the audio for this one and am enjoying it so far....


message 41: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments They did a really good job with the audio for it, in my opinion!


Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "They did a really good job with the audio for it, in my opinion!"

The narrator sounds like the same one that did the audio for Men of the Otherworld....


message 43: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments different guy! both good though. The guy that did Infinity is the same guy that did the alpha and Omega books though, as well as some of the Dark Hunter books. I REALLY like his voice!


Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments Okay...that is where i recognized his voice from...he really has a great voice ;-)


message 45: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I am too! I really enjoyed it and look forward to the next book. The only thing that worries me is that we might see a bit of a slow down on books coming out, because now she'll have three series that she's writting, dark-hunter, Nick's, and the League Series (or at least I heard that she was going to continue the league series, I hope so!)


message 46: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 237 comments She's actually writing more than that. She also has a King Arthur series, Lords of Avalon that she writes along with historical romance under the name Kinley MacGregor, she co-authors a romantic-action series BAD Agency novels with Dianna Love, an upcoming paranormal thriller series, Belador also with Dianna Love, in the next year or two she will have another paranormal series-YA I think entitled Nevermore, along with the Dark-hunter, were-hunter, dream-hunter, Nick's series, and the League series. She's a busy lady!


message 47: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) Robyn
On your earlier post it says Ash won`t get mad at Nick for sleeping with Simi?Is that in Infinity or was it on her blog,wow that sure changes everything then ,it`s back to the days before Ash killed him or am I confused?


message 48: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I could be wrong, but I think that the fact that Nick has now met Simi is where the entire change comes in. He'll know who she is ahead of time, and I'm sure that he probably wont sleep with her at all because he'll know that she "belongs" to ash. So, yeah, things are certainly going to change!


message 49: by Yodamom (new)

Yodamom Loved it, Nick is so snarky, i laughed aloud many times. Great tie in with the main characters from the Dark Hunter series. i am having all 3 of my teens read it.


message 50: by Corazon (new)

Corazon (corazonsliterature) I hate these time jump or go back in time stories. Because they mess with the past, the present and the future.

As you has written, Nick has met Simi before "Seize the Night", so the scene, where Ash told Nick he should kill himself, doesn't happen anymore, cause he knows who Simi is and who she belonged.
This changes another book, "Unleash the NIght"
Wren & Marguerite.... Maggie goes with her "friends" in Sanctuary to mourn about Nick and his death. So when Ash doesn't tell Nick he should kill himself, he will not die, at least not in the same time frame. Ergo: Maggies doesn't go into Sanctuary (she has no reason to do it) and she will not met Wren. Their story will never exist.

So when Nick goes back in time to change the future, there will never be the hatred between him and Ash. This is one of the reasons he goes back.
So when this never happened, he will never change the side and "befriended" with Stryker and Satara, what will change the story about Ash and Tory. Because Nick will not be there, when Satara held Tory captive.

If you change one thing in the past, it will change the future of thousands and thousandw people. SK told this herself in an example in Ash' book. Remember the scene with Savitar and Ash, where Savitar tell, what would happen, when he throws a stone....

So when she writes Nicks story about Nick goes back in time to change the future, she will delete all the Dark Hunter books. They will never exist in the form, they were written.

My opinion about Infinity.... these book and the following are all about the money and not about telling an amazing story. Ok, I would do the same. It's a market niche. There are enough fans of Nick who wanna read his story and will buy the books. One reason is, that she released only one book of the DH's in a year and a lot of fans wanna read more about them. And she will win new fans, cause the story is YA.

The Dark Hunter series starts incredible. Each book was amazing. But in the course of time, the books were getting worse.
Don't misunderstood me, I like the Dark Hunters, but I like them in the origin, at the begin, where the stories made sense.
Now they are boring repeats. The best example.. Bad Moon Rising... The half book is a copy from Vane's, Fury's and Wren's books and the rest is - except Thorn - nothing new.


« previous 1
back to top