The Stand The Stand discussion

i never liked stephen king, but

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by allison (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

allison this book is incredible

message 2: by JDK1962 (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

JDK1962 Personally, I liked the original (edited) version better. This "director's cut" just seemed like waaaaaaaay too much of a good thing.

Editing has a purpose, and I think authors ignore it at their peril. If they start to believe every word that drips from their pen is molten gold, everyone's in trouble...as Faulkner said, "you must kill all your darlings."

Or maybe I just didn't like it as much 15 years later, because I loved it the first time around. Who knows?

message 3: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted Rohe I like the unedited version. It is long, but worth it. I'm also a fan of the made for tv movie. I'm not as big a SK fan as I used to be, but I do still love the Stand. I also want to read his Darktower Series soon.

Miss Kim ILOVE this book. I'e read it twice, and may read again. the characters are engrossing. Its an extremely long read, but well worth it. I recommend it to any King fan. Its definately one of his best.

Libby I liked the original (edited) version better also. Stephen King is much, much better when someone else gets hold of his writing and forces him to pare it down. Many of his short stories are near-masterpieces and the edited version of The Stand is one of the scariest apocalyptic stories ever told.

message 6: by Gen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gen Lebovitch Just to start, "The Stand" is one of my many favorite books. I read it when I was 17 ,and return to it regularly out of a compulsion really. My favorite version is the unedited version. The edited version loses so much, specifically when it comes to character development. If you consider the fact that "The Stand"('s) driving quality is it's fully developed characters, it's seeming insight into human relationships whether they are between characters or self reflection by a character then you will realize how important some of the edited volume can be. When you read the edited version and compare the two you will see that many of the characters are omitted or pared down to half the depth they were originally. In particular there is a character completely left out (and some may argue the character is unnecessary) but this character and the situation he finds himself in due to the "Walkin' Dude" gives ever more examples of human insight and of course the devilish delight of Stephen's true gift of horror as well! Stephen King nails it in "The Stand". The Unedited is and still will be for many long years to come, one of the most enjoyable reading experiences I have had to date! Enjoy!

message 7: by Darcy (new)

Darcy Mckenna I've read both the edited and unedited versions. I have to say I prefer the unedited for this particular book. Incredible character building, tension, good and evil duking it out for supremacy -- all the stuff that makes a book great. I've read all of Kings books and The Stand is by far my favorite. I read an interview somewhere and Mr. King was surprised that this book is still everyone's favorite of all his work. I'm not surprised in the least.

Becky I have read the unedited version of The Stand more times that I can remember, and can't really imagine what charm the edited version would hold for me. I love all of the characters like they are family... Maybe one day I will read it to see why people say they prefer it, but I think that for me, it will be "Complete and Uncut" all the way. =)

message 9: by A. (last edited Apr 01, 2011 01:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

A. Rosaria Well this topic now gave me the urge to reread the book again, I lost count how many times I did already. It's indeed a great book. I only ever read the uncut edition.

Stephen king pours down out the words on paper fill it with his magic and indeed sometimes drag on and on about something, but in this book everything seems to fit, despite its size.

I can only dream to one day reach the excellence he has in writing.

message 10: by Pickle (last edited Jun 03, 2011 01:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pickle I read the extended edition recently and i feel the same way about this book as i do about IT.

An incredible read until the ending where i felt completely underwhelmed. The Stand's ending was nowhere near as bad as IT but i feel King should write a 95% of a book, then ask someone else to write the endings.

message 11: by Drew (new) - rated it 5 stars

Drew I love The Stand but IT is my favorite of his. If you really liked The Stand you should check out Robert McCammon's Swan Song, it is a similar post-apocalyptic nightmare type of novel.

Richard i loved The Stand, but these days (SPOILER) the whole hand of god thing bugs me more and more.

message 13: by Drew (new) - rated it 5 stars

Drew Sandyboy wrote: "i loved The Stand, but these days (SPOILER) the whole hand of god thing bugs me more and more."

I'm not a big fan of it myself which is the main reason that The Stand is not in my top 5 of his books. I have heard really great things about Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti but I refuse to read them due to the fact that they write christian fiction.

Richard Drew wrote: "Sandyboy wrote: "i loved The Stand, but these days (SPOILER) the whole hand of god thing bugs me more and more."

I'm not a big fan of it myself which is the main reason that The Stand is not in my..."

i used to be able to excuse the god moments and can still forgive Raiders of the Lost Ark etc for it's outright "god exists" moments but in newer fiction and movies if faith and heaven come up the stories tend to loose me immediately.

i was kinda christian when i read The Stand as a teenager so the big blue hand was ok - though it did seem that if god was setting off the bomb then god must have released the plague which made him a pretty shitbox god - but these days much as i would like to re read the plague and survival aspects of the book come the final test of faith and sacrifice moments i'd just have to chuck the book

message 15: by Clif (new) - added it

Clif Swinford I enjoy Stephen King, but I can't say I'm a huge fan -- except for this book. I read both the original and the updated version, and I think I like the expanded one more, though I can see where some might want the shorter, simpler original. This book sucks me in every time, and the events and characters simply don't let go until the last page. Or later.

By the way, don't do what I did the first time and make this the book you read while sick with a flu and fever. VERY bad idea.

David McGowan I love the unedited version. Haven't read it for years, but was recently given it as a gift. King can sometimes over-indulge himself with his characters, but I feel like he knows his characters inside out, like they've been guests staying in the house of his mind for months before he commits them to paper. Sometimes it can make the writing unwieldy (as in Under the dome IMHO), but in The Stand the character development is truly something to be marvelled and learned from for the writers amongst us!

IUHoosier I read The Stand several times in my teens and twenties, both versions since the unedited one came out when I was in college. I recently re-read it and found myself (gasp) bored with it. It loses something after so many years, or maybe I've just become too cynical to appreciate it in the same way. The religious aspects of the story and the pop culture references made it feel very dated after so much time.

Ignotu I loved “The Stand” and I have read the complete and uncut edition. Really one of the best in its kind, however I agree with some of the opinions here expressed: the end could be better!
I read two more Kings books – The Bag of Bones and Needful Things – and start reading the Gunslinger… and couldn’t go more than a 100 pages! And I hate to leave a book unfinished, but it was awful!!

message 19: by Eric (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eric Diehl There were several years when SK was my favored author. It was The Shining that really hooked me and which I would still probably call my favorite. The Stand might have changed that, but while I was blown away by the first half or two-thirds, it seemed to me that he kinda got lost there at the end, and I was never satisfied with the closing. I believe I recall reading SK saying that he actually had "hit the wall" at some point in The Stand, and considered giving it up until he had his epiphany or whatever.

message 20: by Eric (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eric Diehl BTW, I was seriously disappointed with the Darktower series; couldn't get past one or two of the books. I believe he wrote the first book when he was young, citing something about being inspired by one of the early Clint Eastwood westerns. IMO he should not have bothered bringing it back to life, when his fame was such that he could publish anything. Don't get me wrong---I'm still amazed at how SK can take a totally outrageous plot and make it somehow believable.

Christopher Zacher The Dark Tower book def gets better with the later ones, I think I am a fan mainly because you can look at that series like the nucleous of a lot of his books. It fun to look for DT hints in all of his books.

MaryAlice JDK1962 wrote: "Personally, I liked the original (edited) version better. This "director's cut" just seemed like waaaaaaaay too much of a good thing.

Editing has a purpose, and I think authors ignore it at their ..."

Me too.

message 23: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted Rohe Sandyboy wrote: "i loved The Stand, but these days (SPOILER) the whole hand of god thing bugs me more and more."

It is interesting to me that the hand of God thing did bug me long time ago, but not so much anymore. In fact, it actually goes with the whole story and it's supernatural elements. That part almost reminds me of the last part of Watchmen, but with a more positive story.

Checkman David wrote: "If you enjoyed The Stand...you'll love the DarkTower series....I suggest you read some of King's previous books prior though...you'll understand later...As for edited/unedited versions....the autho..."

I would argue that a good editor can make or break an author. Look at Max Perkins. He edited Hemingway, Fitzgerald and others. He was absolutely necessary. I know that some authors wouldn't agree with me, but many of those authors are ego-maniacs with a real superiority complex. They don't like to hear the word no or even maybe.