W-G's Reading Group discussion

SILK UMBRELLA

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deja (new)

Deja | 2 comments i read silk umbrellas it was a fascinating book. I really love this book.I like this book because it is about this asian family that is all about nature.They love to paint umbrellas and sell them. This one girl wanted to paint a umberella and sell her own. Also she wanted to open her own shop. She got her shop and became a famous umbrella painted.

Noi and her family live in the jungle of northern Thailand. Noi loves helping her grandmother, Kun Ya, paint silk umbrellas. Her responsibility in helping increases. The community celebrates the harvest festival of Loy Krathong.

In conclusion This was a good story from Thailand. It gives me a feel for the life style in the country. Great reading for a student with a heritage from that part of the world. The main character learns the skill of painting on silk umbrellas from her grandmother and is able to help out her family by making money by doing it.

message 2: by Deja (new)

Deja | 2 comments I read silk umbrellas by carolyn marsden this book is mesmerized with me bcecause it bring a unique and imagery feeling to me. What can i say about this book is that its about a girl named noi and her family. They live in the jungle of northern thailand . Noi loves helping her grandmother , and her sister kun ya paint silk umbrellas. Noi responsibility is to help the silk umbrella buisness increase. the community celebrates the festival of Loy Krathong. Loy Krathong is held on the full moon of the 12th month in the traditional festival.This book illlustrates a life lesson of doing your best in things you want to accomplish. Noi wants to paint silk umbrellas and make her own store. I like the books style because i love nature and its a nature book. This book gives me a senseof thailand because it describes the place and festivals.
The characters are Noi, Her grandmother,and kun ya. Noi is the main character and she wants to accomplish making her own silk umbrellas store. She wants to be better than her family in silk painting. Her grandmother is elderly. She is very smart and artistic. Kun ya is the families best silk painter . She take care of her family . Kun ya acts like ko from bamboo grove. They help each other alot. KO is the man of the house and so is Kun ya .
Thailand is the setting . It gives me a feeling of the life style in the country. Great reading for a student with a heritage from that part of the world. The family lives in the jungle which is in thailand. When i close my eyes i picture a jungly with alot of animals that is beautiful.
THis whole book reminds me of bamboo grove because the family went threw alot of things . The almost lost there house . Kun ya helped them by making a store and selling things.

In conclusion i recommend this book because its very facinating. You can learn new things about Thailand.This was a good story from Thailand. It gives me a feel for the life style in the country. Great reading for a student with a heritage from that part of the world. The main character learns the skill of painting on silk umbrellas from her grandmother and is able to help out her family by making money by doing it.