The Writing Ninjas' Fan Club discussion

Land of Baxter's Intellect > Controversial Books and Censorship in Literature

Comments Showing 1-50 of 200 (200 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Baxter, The Ninja Who Totally DOES(not) Know (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 224 comments Mod
BECAUSE CONTROVERSIAL BOOKS ARE BEST BOOKS!

Seriously, it's like, all I read anymore. Naked Lunch stands as a very interesting one to me with it's attempted censorship. Because that book was all sorts of messed up and disturbing and horrible to read and completely brilliant in every way. It was (I believe) to be the last major censorship trial in America over a book, effectively shattering them.

Still, even today I know plenty of people who wish that book was never published, because of its extreme nature. IS THERE A TOO FAR FOR YOU PERSONALLY!?!?!?!?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I think there's a too far, because I prefer to remain innocent. I started reading 'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings' in January for a project... scarred for life.

message 3: by Michelle, The Ninja With All The Voices (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) | 218 comments Mod
I had to do an essay on this once.

message 4: by Annemarie, The Ditzy Ninja (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 205 comments Mod
Hate censorship. Hate, hate, hate it.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm actually not very experienced with censorship... so I should shut up.

message 6: by Baxter, The Ninja Who Totally DOES(not) Know (new)

Personally if I hear that a book is controversial or infamous or anything like that, I practically run out of my house and buy it.

Something about challenged books just draws me in.

message 7: by Seth, The Ninja of Magically Transporting Books (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 102 comments Mod
Um . . . Idk.

message 8: by Annemarie, The Ditzy Ninja (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 205 comments Mod
Baxter wrote: "Personally if I hear that a book is controversial or infamous or anything like that, I practically run out of my house and buy it.

Something about challenged books just draws me in."

Yeah. Same. :P

message 9: by Brigid ✩, The Wonderful Ninja of Oz (new)

Brigid ✩ | 704 comments Mod
Omigosh, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings scarred me for life too!!!! I read it when I was 12 for this autobiography project and … yeah. lol. I don't "prefer to remain innocent", though. I liked to be informed. The world has a lot of pretty bad, uh, "stuff" going on in it, and we should all know about it. Ironically, I just censored that sentence. lol. ;) But really, I hate when people ban books and such. I mean, if you (general "you") want to ignore subjects that make you uncomfortable, that's a personal choice. I actually like it when a book really disturbs me, because I think that's what a good book is supposed to do. If a book has absolutely nothing controversial in it, it's not worth being read or written in my opinion. Art is supposed to evoke emotion and opinion, is it not?

message 10: by Baxter, The Ninja Who Totally DOES(not) Know (new)

♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "Omigosh, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings scarred me for life too!!!! I read it when I was 12 for this autobiography project and … yeah. lol. I don't "prefer to remain innocent", though. I liked to ..."

AW YEAH, THIS IS THE KIND OF COMMENT I LIKE TO SEE! WHOO!

But if you guys actually want to be disturbed I'd highly recommend Naked Lunch. I mean, it is one of my favorite books of all time, and it succeed in making me just kind of put it down and say, "Why in Gods name do I want to hear this?"

Also, good old Sade. He was a character for the ages. What with his silly 120 Days of Sodom and Justine and whatnot. Good times, good times...

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited May 23, 2010 06:55PM) (new)

♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "Omigosh, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings scarred me for life too!!!! I read it when I was 12 for this autobiography project and … yeah. lol. I don't "prefer to remain innocent", though. I liked to ..."

Yeah. By "prefering to remain innocent", I don't mean that I want to be ignorant. I'm aware of lots of the "bad stuff" going on, but I think you can be aware without scarring someone for life. I mean, I was aware of rape before I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings; I just don't think Maya Angelou has to describe it in detail for me to understand.

message 12: by Seth, The Ninja of Magically Transporting Books (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 102 comments Mod
Censoring is kinda stupid. I mean, if you're gonna write a book, just put it all in there. I'll read "bad" books, depending on why they're "bad" and how "bad" they were.

message 13: by Paige (new)

Paige (anauthor) Censorship has no place in books. People pick and choose what books they want to read, that simple.

message 14: by Niki, The Once a Pirate Now a Ninja (new)

Niki | 127 comments Mod
I had to write a 12-page research paper on censorship once...

message 15: by Paige (new)

Paige (anauthor) Gah!

message 16: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) I could attempt to write a long rambly-type comment, but I'll just go ahead and say "What Brigid said."

message 17: by Ilana, The Randomful Ninja Returns (last edited May 23, 2010 09:44PM) (new)

Ilana (ilanashayn) | 1375 comments Mod
I agree with Acacia, but I also want to say one little thing: I don't like censorship, cultural preference of innocence, disturbing imagery only meant to be disturbing and not thought-provoking, or most of ALL ignorance. I can't stand those who want to remain ignorant instead of become "corrupt."

And on with that rant, I shall leave this topic?

message 18: by Brigid ✩, The Wonderful Ninja of Oz (new)

Maxy wrote: "Yeah. By "prefering to remain innocent", I don't mean that I want to be ignorant. I'm aware of lots of the "bad stuff" going on, but I think you can be aware without scarring someone for life. I mean, I was aware of rape before I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings; I just don't think Maya Angelou has to describe it in detail for me to understand."

Well, that's the thing … It's quite easy to say that you don't want to know what it's like to be raped if you've never been raped. But Maya Angelou didn't have a choice. Can you imagine being raped and having to keep all those details in your head forever? It makes sense that, when someone experiences something truly horrible, they want to share with others so that those other people can sympathize. Otherwise, you just have to keep that pain inside your whole life, and you don't get that catharsis (right word?).

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "Maxy wrote: "Yeah. By "prefering to remain innocent", I don't mean that I want to be ignorant. I'm aware of lots of the "bad stuff" going on, but I think you can be aware without scarring someone f..."

Yeah, I see what you mean, and I completely understand not being able to keep things in your head. What I'm trying to get at is that I wish there was some kind of warning. Not censorship, but a warning. I was expecting a simple, good biography to read for my English class, so it really caught me off guard when I came upon a detailed sex scene.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm probably coming off as a really insensitive, naive teenager... It's not like I don't feel bad for Maya Angelou, because I imagine that's one of the worst crimes to be a victim of, but I'm not sure that reading that book affected me in the way she wanted it to. Am I making any sense?

message 21: by Brigid ✩, The Wonderful Ninja of Oz (new)

No, I see where you're coming from. I mean, that book really grossed me out too when I read it. I don't know how old you are … but I found that once I got older a lot of books are like that, really. If I read it today it probably wouldn't weird me out as much. Anyway, Maya Angelou didn't intend for it to be read by children; she wrote it as an adult and for adults, even though she was reflecting on her childhood. So, she expected adults to sympathize and not kids so much. I would say that it didn't affect me the way it was intended to, either––because, like I said, she was aiming towards the adult audience. But I think if you or I read it again as adults we would be more open to it. … if that makes sense.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I get what you're saying. I'm just too tired to comment because auditions for Footloose killed me.

message 23: by Ilana, The Randomful Ninja Returns (new)

Some books are meant for people who would understand and some books are meant to make people understand. I don't like when teachers at school mistake a book for being the latter.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Ilana wrote: "Some books are meant for people who would understand and some books are meant to make people understand. I don't like when teachers at school mistake a book for being the latter."

Or when they put more thought into a book than the author did. When we read Lord of the Flies, we had to analyze practically every sentence that mentioned the conch. The book would say something like "The conch shell sat on the rock beside Ralph." Then we'd have to describe what that symbolized...?

message 25: by Ilana, The Randomful Ninja Returns (new)

*shakes head sadly* People over-think things quite often.

message 26: by Brigid ✩, The Wonderful Ninja of Oz (new)

Oh, gosh. I was forced to totally over-analyze LoTF too. XP Blaah hate that book.

message 27: by Baxter, The Ninja Who Totally DOES(not) Know (new)

I LOVE LORD OF THE FLIES!

message 28: by Brigid ✩, The Wonderful Ninja of Oz (new)

You would, Baxter.

message 29: by Brigid ✩, The Wonderful Ninja of Oz (new)

My favorite character was the talking pig's head.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved Simon.

message 31: by Brigid ✩, The Wonderful Ninja of Oz (new)

Simon was alright. And he totally had a thing for Ralph.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I never thought about that, but he probably did. Simon was the least annoying to me.

message 33: by Brigid ✩, The Wonderful Ninja of Oz (new)

Haha, he totally did. He seemed to "check out" Ralph a lot. Plus the pig head was like "YOU LIKE RALPH. YOU LIKE HIM A LOTTT." Maybe it was just me, though. I should look it up. XD And yeah, he wasn't very annoying. But we all know how he ended up. *sigh*

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha. I always wonder how different that book would have been if a bunch of girls washed up on the island...

message 35: by Brigid ✩, The Wonderful Ninja of Oz (new)

AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! ok yeah so I was looking it up, and I found this page on Facebook called "Hidden Gay Quotes in Lord of the Flies" … I just laughed my head off. Gosh. Looky:

"At last Ralph ceased to blow and sat there"

"Ralph continued to blow till his ears were singing with the effort"

"the boys were wet and shrieking"

"Eric bent down and blew softly again"

Got a ship in your pocket?” Simon grinned and shook his head.

"He had fallen asleep after what seemed hours of tossing and turning noisily"

Got a ship in your pocket?” Simon grinned and shook his head.

"Ralph squirted again and missed"

In panic, Ralph thrust his own stick through the crack and struck with all his might.
“Aaa-ah!”
His spear twisted a little in his hands and then he withdrew it again.
“Ooh-ooh—”

“Oh, my bum!” He rubbed his rump ruefully. Jack rolled over. “That was a good game.”

"Ralph found his breath and blew a series of short blasts"

"Once more Ralph found himself making the cupping gesture."

“How did your friend blow the conch?” “He kind of spat, ”said Piggy. “My auntie wouldn’t let me blow on
account of my asthma.

"Jack was bent double"

message 36: by Ilana, The Randomful Ninja Returns (new)

Wow. Hahaha. I might have to read that book now.

message 37: by Sella, The Darren Criss Ninja (new)

Sella Malin | 235 comments Mod
♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! ok yeah so I was looking it up, and I found this page on Facebook called "Hidden Gay Quotes in Lord of the Flies" … I just laughed my head off. Gosh. Looky:

"At last Ralph c..."

There's a ... lot of blowing in that book. XD

message 38: by Brigid ✩, The Wonderful Ninja of Oz (new)

Haha yuppp. Lots of blowing. XD
Actually, the part about the spears was supposed to be suggestive though. It was explained in the back of the copy I read. haha. Them killing the pigs is, like, symbolic of rape. I don't know why. O_o

message 39: by Sella, The Darren Criss Ninja (new)

O_O Aaand WHY are they killing a pig?

message 40: by Brigid ✩, The Wonderful Ninja of Oz (new)

Because they are hungry.

message 41: by Ilana, The Randomful Ninja Returns (new)

O_o

message 42: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) Is Brigid dissing Lord of the Flies again? For shame. XD

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Acacia wrote: "Is Brigid dissing Lord of the Flies again? For shame. XD"

I brought it up. Hehe. *hangs head in mock shame*

message 44: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) "Got a ship in your pocket?” Simon grinned and shook his head."

BAHAHAHA. When I was reading the book, my eyes went huge when I read that until I realized what Simon meant.

message 45: by Sella, The Darren Criss Ninja (new)

Okay, why is a ship dirty? I don't get it.

message 46: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) "Ship in your pocket". You know. Like, it's in your pants...and sticking out...if you catch my drift.

message 47: by Ilana, The Randomful Ninja Returns (new)

Hahaha. Sella is silly.

message 48: by Sella, The Darren Criss Ninja (new)

Acacia wrote: ""Ship in your pocket". You know. Like, it's in your pants...and sticking out...if you catch my drift."

Oooh like an erection? (There's nothing wrong with being blunt, people. Embrace bluntness).

But then it wouldn't be in your pocket, would it? Pockets are on the sides. I'd be very alarmed if a guy's dick was on his side. That would be scary. O_O THAT EXPRESSION SUGGESTS THAT MEN'S PENISES ARE HANGING ON THE SIDE SOMEWHERE! GROSS!

message 49: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) Sorry. I was, ironically, somewhat censoring myself for the younger kids. XD

Don't ask me, I don't have one.

HEY BAXTER!

EXPLAIN THIS TO US, POR FAVOR!

message 50: by Sella, The Darren Criss Ninja (new)

Pah, silly younger geese, who needs them.

YOU DON'T? HOLY SHIT YOU LEARN SOMETHING KNEW EACH DAY. ;)

YES BAXTER EXPLAIN HOW MEN CAN HAVE PENISES ON THE SIDES OF THEIR LEGS!

« previous 1 3 4