Regency Era Novels discussion

Georgette Heyer--suggestions?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 7 comments I have read and adored a few Georgette Heyer Regency novels so far and definitely want to read more soon. I have read: Faro's Daughter, The Corinthian, and The Nonesuch.

Any recommendations about which of her Regency novels to read next?

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda Harris | 6 comments My two favorites are The Grand Sophy and Frederica.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 7 comments I like the sound of those three. Thanks, Jenna and Linda!!

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 2 comments I agree with the other recommendations, and would also like to add THE UNKNOWN AJAX to your list. I thought it was a lot of fun. Loved the hero.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 7 comments Ohhh, that sounds good, too, Suzanne! Thanks!

message 6: by NovelReaction (new)

NovelReaction | 2 comments I agree, Sylvestor and The Grand Sophy are my two favorite but I also like The Toll-Gate.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 7 comments NovelReaction wrote: "I agree, Sylvestor and The Grand Sophy are my two favorite but I also like The Toll-Gate."

Thanks for the recommendation, NovelReaction! Lots to choose from for me! :)

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna (stregamari) | 26 comments My favorite GH novel has always been These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer . I love Georgette Heyer!

message 9: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia | 1 comments I liked These Old Shades, but I liked Devil's Cub (which is the story of the son of the hero & heroine from TOS even better. But my all time favorite is Cotillion!

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Caswell (book_pusher) | 1 comments I've read over thirty of Heyer's novels and I constantly reread parts of about twenty of them. My favorites are The Nonesuch, Venetia, Devil's Cub and These Old Shades. See more of my favorites on my blog at: http://www.amandasamusements.com/2010...

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 7 comments Thanks for the link, Amanda!

I got through The Convenient Marriage, which I enjoyed but was more Georgian than Regency. I'm moving onto The Grand Sophy now!

message 12: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (ladysilk) | 3 comments The Grand Sophy is my second favorite. My all time favorite is Elsie Lee's The Nabob's Widow...and my own Regency Romance novel, of course :)

A Very Merry Chase by Teresa Thomas Bohannon

message 13: by Claire (new)

Claire | 1 comments Fell in love with Georgette Heyer when I was about thirteen after reading Arabella. It has remained my all time favourite and has been read over and over. In fact thinking about - might have to read it again!

message 14: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) I have read all from the Medieval to the Regencies and bought them so I could re-read them when the mood takes me. My fav Regencies are Venetia and Cotillion. I laughed a great deal reading the Georgian 'Masquerade'. Her first book 'The Black Moth' is the proto-type for 'These Old Shades' which is much better of course (in my humble opinion).

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate Allan (kateallan) | 2 comments The Grand Sophy is my all time favourite, followed by These Old Shades.

message 16: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (carolynhughes) | 2 comments I love These Old Shades. Oh, now I have to read The Grand Sophy! So many of you like that one. :)

message 17: by Beeface (new)

Beeface | 6 comments I'm working my way through Georgette Heyer's Regency novels. Just finished my current favorite The Tailsman Ring.

Sundee, I guess we have opposite tastes cause Venetia and Cotillion have been my least favorites.

message 18: by Beeface (new)

Beeface | 6 comments I came across Haze Statham's Consequence and read it in one sitting. Shades of Georgette Heyer!

Consequence is a small hardback book, you might want to check your local library for availability.

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna (stregamari) | 26 comments grrr! not in our library system, guess I'll have to hit paperbackswap or bookmooch next. I've been looking for another good regency author, seems as though I've read everything!

message 20: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) Beeface wrote: "I'm working my way through Georgette Heyer's Regency novels. Just finished my current favorite The Tailsman Ring.

Sundee, I guess we have opposite tastes cause Venetia and Cotillion have been my l..."

Story of my life. (-; I love them all for different reasons and as I read each one I had that 'I love this book' feeling. She's just that good.

message 21: by Abby (new)

Abby (abbygaines) | 4 comments Sylvester, Arabella and Sprig Muslin would be my current Heyer favorites

message 22: by Anna (new)

Anna (stregamari) | 26 comments I'm reading all the Judith Ivory books I can get my hands on, I've really been enjoying them. more smutty than G Heyers. Would they be considered regency?

message 23: by Martha (new)

Martha | 1 comments My favorites are: the Grand Sophy, Cotillion, Regency Buck and Sylvester. After buying my Kindle, I bought all of the Georgette Heyer books that were available and happily re-read themn all.

message 24: by Beeface (new)

Beeface | 6 comments Marisella wrote: "I'm reading all the Judith Ivory books I can get my hands on, I've really been enjoying them. more smutty than G Heyers. Would they be considered regency?"

They are historical romance novels set during the Regency era. Regency-set historical, is that a term?

I don't think they're "smutty," they just have sex in them.

message 25: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Rasley | 11 comments Venetia is a great Heyer book. Very romantic.

The Reluctant Widow isn't romantic at all-- the proposal at the end is tacked on-- but the wit! The silly younger brother! The characterization is amazing.

message 26: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Rasley | 11 comments Marisella wrote: "I'm reading all the Judith Ivory books I can get my hands on, I've really been enjoying them. more smutty than G Heyers. Would they be considered regency?"

She writes some post and pre Regency set books too. She's an amazing writer when her editors let her really write. Her earlier books under the name Judy Cuevas are also great.

Alicia

message 27: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Mikalis (joannamikalis) | 1 comments Grand Sophy and These Old Shades are also my favorite Georgette Heyer books. :)

Kate wrote: "The Grand Sophy is my all time favourite, followed by These Old Shades."

message 28: by Mary (new)

Mary Moore (goodreadscommary_moore) | 4 comments Alicia wrote: "Venetia is a great Heyer book. Very romantic.

The Reluctant Widow isn't romantic at all-- the proposal at the end is tacked on-- but the wit! The silly younger brother! The characterization is am..."

I'm with you, Venetia is one of my top ones! My favorite is Devil's Cub, but Arabella is great also.
In Him,
Mary Moore