Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

Group Book Discussion > (June - Sept 2010) Major Pettigrew's Last Stand

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson

Post your comments here.

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (linnefaulk) I think it would have been better without the epilogue. So much detail went into the book and the wrap-up was too brief.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (littlemel64) | 45 comments I listened to this book during my daily commute, and I'm so glad that I did. The narrator's wonderful accents so added to the experience and his dry delivery of Major Pettigrew's bon mots made the character come to life for me. I agreed with Sharon that the epilogue was too brief, but hopefully that indicates that the author will bring us more stories from these characters as Jan Karon keeps going back to Mitford. I'd love a series about the citizens of Edgecombe St. Mary. Another great book I would have overlooked if not for this group. Thanks to all.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I think this is going to be one of my favorite reads of the year! I rated this ★★★★★

"Major Pettigrew's Last Stand" was a delightful romantic comedy that gave me several hours of reading pleasure. Major Pettigrew, a carefully polite and correct middle-aged widower strikes up a friendship with Mrs. Ali, a widowed Pakistani shopkeeper. As their relationship develops, the story quietly confronts many social issues of class, race, and money. It is done with such subtlety and wit. The characters are endearing! I was absolutely charmed by this tale.

I highly recommend that you pick this up!!!

message 5: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 482 comments I picked up a copy just last evening at Barnes and Noble with 20% off and another 10% with my membership. Yipee! I can't wait to start it, but first my giveaway read.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm starting my copy soon! Looking so forward to it because I've only heard great reviews.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3 comments Loved this book from start to finish. Major Pettigrew & his village will live on in my mind for quite awhile. I'm interested to see what comes next from Simonson.

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy I just finished reading this book today. It was a quiet story that had so much to say. Major Pettigrew was such a wonderful character He always maintained a personal dignity and a very dry sense of humor no matter what situation he found himself facing. I found myself often smiling while reading this book and will miss the characters.

message 9: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I finished this book earlier this week and have to say that I really enjoyed it. The Major's frustration and disappointment in his son was easy to "feel". And I loved his dry sense of humor and dignity, as Cathy mentions. The author's insertion of race and class issues was well done. I hope we hear more about Major Pettigrew!

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Me too! I'd love a continuation of the story.

message 11: by Meera (new)

Meera I just loved this book back in September when I read it. It was a pleasant surprise. I really enjoyed the character of the Major and the love story. I think this would make a good movie. I hope that the author writes another book soon.

message 12: by Barb (new)

Barb | 75 comments I agree, what a fun movie this would make! Loved this book and the Major. Will certainly watch for future books from this author.