Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly > 2010-06 - Chick-Lit - Post June Reviews Here

Comments (showing 51-100 of 153) (153 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by Crystal (new)

Crystal A Hollywood Ending by Robyn Sisman2*

Barely okay. It appeared that the author purposely made the main character have plenty of room for growth at the beginning. She started with an annoying self-centered, somewhat ignorant, star that drove me nuts and made me almost quit reading. If it wasn't for the book group, I would not have bothered to finish. It seemed stiff and awkward. It did make me want to visit the Lake Country in England though.

message 52: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Veil of Roses by Laura Fitzgerald3*

In this book the main character has the opportunity to leave Iran to go to the U.S. While there, her goal is to find a Persian American to marry so she may ultimately become an American citizen and not have to return to Iran. It is a romantic comedy with an additional bit of cultural information.

I enjoyed reading it, but found some of it predictable.

message 53: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 234 comments Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson 4.5*

Well-told story of a troubled teen's first year of high school. Melinda was not a troubled teen until she snuck off with her best friend to attend a summer beer party, got drunk, and was raped. When she called 911, the other kids assumed she was reporting a wild party, and ostracized her once school started. Since she told no one what happened to her, her parents, teachers, and former friends could not understand her antisocial behavior. Her savior turned out to be her art teacher, Mr. Freeman, and slowly Melinda starts to come out of the silent deep freeze she surrounded herself with.

message 54: by Crystal (new)

Crystal BJ Rose wrote: "Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson 4.5*

Well-told story of a troubled teen's first year of high school. Melinda was not a troubled teen until she snuck off with her best ..."

Wow - that was listed as chick-lit? I have read Speak several times, but I guess I have a different understanding of the term chick-lit. Maybe some people just think it is any book that a "chick" would read, but I had thought it was typically romantic comedy. Speak is a wonderful book, but I would label it something a little different like realistic fiction or drama.

message 55: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 996 comments Crystal wrote: "Wow - that was listed as chick-lit? I have read Speak several times, but I guess I have a different understanding of the term chick-lit. Maybe some people just think it is any book that a "chick" would read, but I had thought it was typically romantic comedy...."

I think some people do have a pretty broad definition of "chick-lit" - as we find with most of the shelves here. The definition someone posted for the shelf is "Chick-lit is a genre of fiction within women's fiction written for females. It generally deals with the issues of modern women humorously and lightheartedly." I think some people don't worry as much about the humorous or lighthearted part. I read another of Laurie Halse Anderson's books, Wintergirls, which was also on this month's shelf. It definitely isn't a romantic comedy - or lighthearted or humorous. Speak did have some humor - more than Wintergirls.

message 56: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 234 comments Crystal, I agree with the way you would categorize Speak. I did find humor in the book in the way Melinda's thoughts came across at times (loved the Fizz Ed idea), but definitely not the light-hearted approach to interaction between the sexes that I associate with chick-lit. I've been rather stunned myself at what's on the Chick-Lit shelf, but then I remembered that Harry Potter books showed up on the French shelf!

message 57: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy_t) | 44 comments Sweet Little Lies by Lauren Conrad ***

This was Lauren Conrad's 2nd entry to the L.A. Candy series. It was a cute fun book about the star of a new hit reality series, and how her new celebrity status is changing her life. This was a fun read if you watch or have watched any reality TV and really gives a great insiders view into what these reality TV stars are exposed to on a regular basis.

Although I enjoyed the 1st LA Candy novel a bit more, I would recommenced this for anyone who ever watched "The Hills" and lovers of chick-lit.

message 58: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments Memoirs of a Geisha
3 stars

This is the story of a woman looking back on her life as a successful geisha. It starts just before she is sold into slavery as a child and charts her life through WW2 to her emigration to the US late in life.
While I can see why this book is so popular, for me it seemed like it simply ticks the boxes for a good literary novel and so it didn't really grab me.
I'm also not sure whether it counts as 'chick-lit' as it was written by a man.

message 59: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments The Time Traveler's Wife *** stars I think I may be one of the last people on the planet to read this book and I really wanted to like this more than I did. . . but I could tell by the first page that I was noticing the authors word choice and that is never a good sign. I just never became invested in the characters, it was just okay for me.

message 60: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 234 comments Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris 4*
I may have found a good reason for continuing the Sookie series! As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've found them to be easy reads, but of the I-can-take-them-or-leave-them variety. But this one got me more involved for a variety of reasons - Sookie went to New Orleans and I could relate to that, altho I may never listen to New Orleans jazz in the same way again, since she states that many of those musicians can't see the light of day. Mainly, tho, I think it was because of Quinn!

message 61: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 656 comments I just finished reading Sex and the City by Candace Bushnell and I gave it 2 Stars. I almost gave it 1 Star but there was one or two parts that made me laugh a little.

I really wanted to like this as I always enjoyed the TV show, but the book was just painful for me to get through. I contemplated abandoning it a few times. The only thing that made me finish was the fact that chick-lit is the shelf of the month. *sigh*
Towards the end are some funny parts, especially for those of us who have a slightly sick and dark sense of humour, (Carrie at the party with all the obnoxious young parents trying to prove their child is more brilliant then the next. She pulls out a condom and spells it for the boy just like his parents spell everything out to him, and tells him if his parents had used one he wouldn’t be there right now. It’s sooooo wrong, but I was laughing out loud because Carrie is just a horrible person), but for the most part I did not like the writing style, I found it very boring and bland. I found I didn’t care about any of the characters, and I think I would be insulted as a New Yorker if this is what people are lead to believe single thirty something’s in New York are supposed to be like. All the characters are shallow, druggies or alcoholics, and they all think they are more famous or special then they really are. They are horrible people.
I’m having trouble understanding how they got the great characters for the show out of the loosely based characters of this book. At least the ladies on the show seem somewhat impetuous and misguided but they are not horrible people.
I’m going to be trading this book in at bookmooch to get something back worth reading. :0)

message 62: by Cathy (last edited Jun 23, 2010 09:17PM) (new)

Cathy | 90 comments Just finished Change of Heartby Jodi Picoult - couldn't put it down. Her books really have that compulsive affect on me. I know they are a bit formulaic but I just really love them, and she injects some little moments through the books with real personality, so you remember the in-jokes as if the characters are really people you know, and it has a nice tone as if someone is telling you the story in person.

message 63: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Tina wrote: "The Time Traveler's Wife *** stars I think I may be one of the last people on the planet to read this book and I really wanted to like this more than I did. . . but I could tell by the..."

Well, you aren't the last person. I still haven't read it. I have such a hard time getting myself to read time travel books. The whole concept of going back in time is just too much. Because if you go back, you could change enough that you wouldn't actually be born and wouldn't be around to go back and.... Well anyway, I have not been able to convince myself to read it.

message 64: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments Crystal wrote: "Tina wrote: "The Time Traveler's Wife *** stars I think I may be one of the last people on the planet to read this book and I really wanted to like this more than I did. . . but I coul..."

It took this shelf and the bookshelf challenge to get me to read it too because of the same reason! I normally avoid time travel books like the plague, but relented--maybe that's why I didn't love it like the rest of the world, it was doomed from the start!

message 65: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 656 comments I read The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella by Stephenie Meyer and gave it 3 Stars. I would not label this book chick-lit but someone else has so it's on the shelf. Worked out for me :0)

This is a short story that kind of goes along with “Eclipse” by Stephenie Meyer. It’s written from the perspective of Bree Tanner one of the young ones that Victoria created to attack the Cullen’s.

I specifically remembered Bree as I felt bad for her when I read Eclipse, so it was nice to read her story even though you knew it was going to have a tragic ending. I thought it was very interesting to see what the young ones were going through and how they were brain washed to attack the Cullen’s. Kind of reminds me a bit of a cult and how they brain wash their young followers. I really liked Diego and Fred and was a little disappointed that there was not more about them in the story as they were more interesting then Bree most of the time.

This brings me to why I only gave the book 3 stars.

I felt the story was too short and the characters could have been developed a little more, the book felt rushed. I was disappointed that yet again we seem to have a young girl character that seems week and needs the protection of boys all the time, I mean really I’m a fan of boys too, trust me! Yet girls are strong creatures as well, and don't need boys to fight their battles all the time or protect them from every little thing. I think this is a very important message when the majority of the readers for these books are young women. It’s also not great when your supporting characters are far more interesting than your main character.

So for all of you who are debating whether or not to purchase the book due to all the mixed reviews, Stephenie Meyer is offering if for free until July 5th, as a thank you to all her fans. Enjoy! http://breetannerbook.libredigital.co...

message 66: by Amy (last edited Jun 16, 2010 09:03AM) (new)

Amy | 1070 comments I finished Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea today and give it 1 star. If I didn't need to complete this book for another challenge, I would have given up on it less than halfway through.

I listened to the audio book, which was read by the author, Chelsea Handler. I figured that as a comic, she would add the right inflections to make this book truly funny. Boy, was I wrong.

It wasn't that she read it poorly, it just wasn't a funny book. Overall, a waste of time best avoided.

message 67: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 234 comments Vision in White by Nora Roberts June 13 (4*)

Another book that I wouldn't really classify as chick-lit; I call it contemporary romance, but it was on this shelf. Nothing earth-shattering in this book. The series is about 4 lifelong friends who run a wedding-planning business, and cope with all the problems that can arise in their goal of trying to give a bride her perfect day - all while they're dealing with everything positive and negative that happens in their own lives. This story focuses on Mackenzie the photographer.

message 68: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I finally finished my first Chick-Lit book of the month
I read The Girl Who Chased the Moon and loved it *****.
My review:
Stayed up late to finish this one... I just did not want to leave this wonderful enchanting world. This book reminded me so much of the magical world Allen created in her first book, Garden Spells.
From the minute Emily arrived and the magic of the town reveals itself, I became enchanted with all the "wondrous and strange" goings on.
I fell in love with the characters, especially Win and Julia. A page turner from the very beginning and many times I caught myself smiling as I read.
The ending had me wanting more though(not because she did not tie up things nicely, but because I did not want the story to end).... If only it could have been a few hundred pages longer.

message 69: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Slayermel wrote: "I read The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella by Stephenie Meyer and gave it 3 Stars. I would not label this book chick-lit but someone else has so..."

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of this book. I am passing the link on to my daughter. She's read everything related to Twilght. I may even get a chance to read it.

message 70: by Crystal (last edited Jun 13, 2010 06:15PM) (new)

Crystal Everyone Is Beautiful: A Novel by Katherine Center 4*

The main character of this book has several tough things thrown at her at once. She moves (with her husband and 3 young children), her parents move to another country, and she realizes she has gained a LOT of weight. She no longer knows who she is beyond mommy.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching her work through this part of her life and could really relate to a lot of it. Fortunately there was quite a bit of humor throughout the book or it would have been tough to read.

message 71: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 811 comments The Mango Season by Amulya Malladi 3 stars
This is about a girl who returns to India for a visit after seven years in the USA. She battles her families matchmaking while trying to find the right moment to tell tham about her American fiance. It looks at modern India, with an emphasis on food and family. I found it light reading.

message 72: by Karen (new)

Karen (Karenofthebookworm) | 893 comments Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang* according to the blurb this book is hilarious, well I can only assume that whoever wrote the blurb either didn't read the book and just assumed that because the writer is meant to be a comedian that it would be funny or they read a different book to the one that I read because it was not only unfunny but annoying as well.

message 73: by Karen (new)

Karen (Karenofthebookworm) | 893 comments Stardust***, not my favourite book my Neil Gaiman that is still American Gods but a quick read and fairly entertaining. Good mix of magic,adventure and romance.

message 74: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 656 comments I just finished Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell and I gave it 3 Stars.

I enjoyed the story but Julie Powell as a person bothers me. I don't think you could pay me to eat French food and even though I don't like fish or shellfish, I definitely would not eat it now...EeeeK!!
You can read my full review here if you're interested
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/48...

message 75: by Agnes (new)

Agnes Blarneygod wrote: "I enjoyed A Walk to Remember. I give it 4 stars. I really enjoy the way Nicholas Sparks writes. It was a quick and sometimes sad story about a young man's first love."

I love Nicholas Sparks, his books are all so touching!

message 76: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy_t) | 44 comments I just finished Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin. I give it 1 star.

I truly disliked this book. I've read a couple other books by Emily Giffin and expected that I would enjoy this but everything about it just rubbed me the wrong way. You could figure out what was going to happen in the first 3 chapters and it played out pretty much exactly as you expected it would. The characters were very unlikeable so you never connect to the story emotionally. Perhaps if you were emotionally involved in the story this could have been salvaged, but I generally just wished that the story would end already.

message 77: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy_t) | 44 comments Karen wrote: "Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang* according to the blurb this book is hilarious, well I can only assume that whoever wrote the blurb either didn't read the book and just assumed that becaus..."

I felt the same way about Chelsea's other book, Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea. Despite enjoying the Chelsea Lately show and thinking that Chelsea is very funny, I found the book completely boring and not funny at all.

message 78: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 996 comments Impossible by Nancy Werlin. 4 stars.

I read this for the "romance" shelf of our Bookshelf challenge. It's also on the chick-lit shelf, so thought I'd post it here. If we do a bookshelf challenge again sometime, it will give more options for those who haven't yet read it. And if you haven't read it, you might want to! I enjoyed it a lot. My review is here, if you want to read more of what I thought about it.

message 79: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 234 comments Thanks, Luann - I read the synopsis and your review, and put the book on my wishlist, which is like The Five (hundred) Little Peppers and How They Grew!

message 80: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 656 comments Like BJ Rose I have also added this book after having read your review Luann :0)

message 81: by Pollyanna (new)

Pollyanna (Polly8) | 94 comments Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater 4*

** spoiler alert ** I was really looking forward to reading this after hearing so many good things and I thought it was very good but I wouldn't say I was blown away.

I liked the characters and the storyline but I felt the relationship between Sam and Grace started too quickly, I know we all look forward to a love story in books but it is nice sometimes to be kept in suspense for a while.

The story could have ended where it finished but I am interested to see what happens in Linger.

message 82: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Saving Ceecee Honeycutt ****1/2

This was a sweet look at a young girl finding her place in the world with the help from a wonderful mix of women in Savannah, Georgia. It takes a lot for Ceecee to emerge from the years of stress and residual damage from her years as caretaker to her mother, but the wisdom of each of the women she meets in Savannah help her to realize that she is not who she was, but rather who she wants to be.
Although I am not from the south, the eccentric women in the book jumped out of the book and into my heart. I was inspired and I found a lot in common with the young protaganist, and the southern world of hospitality is so much more understandable for me now.
It came to a perfect ending, which I continue to laugh to myself about even after I finished the book. Definitely a wonderful summertime read.

message 83: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 996 comments Slayermel wrote: "Like BJ Rose I have also added this book after having read your review Luann :0)"

Very cool, BJ and Mel! I hope you both like it. I sure enjoyed it. It was on my TBR, but I probably never would have gotten to it if it wasn't for our Bookshelf challenge!

message 84: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Luann wrote: "Slayermel wrote: "Like BJ Rose I have also added this book after having read your review Luann :0)"

Very cool, BJ and Mel! I hope you both like it. I sure enjoyed it. It was on my TBR, but I proba..."

I really enjoyed that book too! I think it would lend itself to fantasy lovers as well as those who like their stories to be rooted in reality.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2660 comments Mod
Last night I finished Pride and Prejudice and I really enjoyed it. If you strip everything away, this is the typical romance book. Girl meets boy, they hate each other, learn to love each other, have a crisis that each thinks is going to tear them apart, and finally end up together. Where this book differs for me is the picture of Victorian society that it gives, the unusual way that Jane Austen puts words together, and the sarcastic humor included in the story. I would give this a definite 4.5 stars.

message 86: by Candiss (last edited Jun 15, 2010 03:24PM) (new)

Candiss (Tantara) Soulless by Gail Carriger - As reviewed by an avowed enemy of chick-lit and a tolerator-at-best of supernatural romance.

**** (4 stars)

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the alt-Victorian/Steampunk world of Gail Carriger's Soulless. I awarded the book 4 stars, but that rating reflects a bit of confliction on my part. I loved most aspects of the story, with a few personal reservations. In the spirit of keeping my review largely free of spoilers, I will not be discussing details of the plot, but will focus mostly on general aspects of the book.

If I could, I would give 5 stars specifically for the Victoriana - the language, atmosphere, social customs, fashion, food, etc. All were skillfully drawn, highlighting the author's knowledge and understanding of the era, as well as her facility with pulling the reader in and making the world come alive. I was an avid reader of Victorian- and Regency-set books when I was a teenager, some 20-odd years ago, but until the literary engines of Steampunk fairly recently began birthing intriguing, atypical neo-Victoriana with roots in the traditions of Jules Verne, H. G. Wells, and friends, I had found myself largely disinterested in the time period - at least as it is generally presented in prose. But as I have found my interest piqued by the proliferation of niftiness afforded by the Steampunk genre, I've become quite fussy about authors getting the ambiance right. Gail Carriger has both the setting and the details down pat, which allowed me to relax my inner editor and let her story sweep me along.

Other aspects of the book were similarly sterling. I would again grant 5 stars to Gail Carriger's "voice", as I adored both the characterization of Miss Alexia Tarabotti and the style of the author's humor. Miss Tarabotti is a cracking good protagonist, whip-smart, snarky, stubborn, unconventional, independant...all the while maintaining propriety and grace. (Well...usually. But her little "lapses" are part of her charm.) I could well relate to Alexia, as we both do not suffer fools gladly, and we share a feeling of alienation from the shallowness of mainstream society. There are sorely few sensible, level-headed, grumpy, yet still passionate and vibrant, heroines out there. I adored this feisty curmudgeon through-and-through. Huzzah! for firey-brained spinsters! (Other characters were also well-sketched, my personal favorites being the outrageous and surprisingly-likeable Lord Akeldama, and the long-suffering, competent Professor Lyall.)

I would likewise give 5 stars to the additions of science (and scientific speculation) peppered around the book. The author's real-life scientific background is displayed to good effect here, although it is never used heavy-handedly. (According to an interview on Tor.com, in her other-than-literary life, Ms. Carriger is an archeologist with a Masters of Science in "analysis of inorganic artifacts" - glass, metal, ceramics, etc. - a fact I found most happily unexpected and refreshing.) I fully relished this addition to the stew of daily decorum and supernatural goings-on (which is where the "alt-" in alt-Victoriana comes in, of course). It added a nice counterbalance to the descriptions of finery and social ritual, as well as to the suspension of disbelief required to enjoy a tale ripe with vampires, werewolves, and their ilk.

I mentioned above that I was a bit conflicted about Soulless, and as positive as my review has been to this point, one might wonder what is left for me to less than love. My internal division comes due to the several scenes of a sexual nature. Please don't mistake my comments for prudishness! I enjoy quite a lot of risqué writing - much of it of a level that disconcerts many so-called libertines I've known. I am extraordinarily open-minded on such matters. But these scenes, while well-crafted, often very funny, and certainly titilating, felt a bit out-of-place to me in the narrative. I realize this is fantasy, not historically-accurate fiction. I realize that expectations of some strict code of Victorian authenticity should be checked the moment one signs on to read a story involving supernaturals, preternaturals, alternate history, and the tongue-in-cheek. I appreciate all of that; truly I do. But I kept finding myself pulled out of the story by these scenes. I found them jarring, almost as if someone had slipped pages from a second novel into the book I was reading. This is not so much a critique on the author or the story she relates as it is a reflection on my subjective experience of reading said story. My reservations are reactive not to content or execution, but to context. In context, these scenes felt over-the-top to me. Several times, I found myself thinking along the lines of, "Hold up there a minute, madam! What sort of tomfoolery is this? I'm having an episode of literary cognitive dissonance! You're getting peanut butter in my chocolate! These two clearly share a conflagration of chemistry, but methinks this is a bit over-the-line for the time period...and in the middle of the street, no less! And don't get me started on the ill-advisory of dry-humping on the floor of a jail cell the gentleman who just a moment ago tried to eviscerate you and could at any moment feasibly feel the burning need to try again." Harumph.

Please don't allow my indignation regarding the more physical aspects of the love story within the larger story lead you to believe I didn't enjoy the book! (In fact, the quirky nature of the courtship therein was quite charming, indeed. I simply felt nettled - in light of so many other details of the time period being spot-on - by the seeming incongruity of all that heaving and nethers-grasping. I enjoyed Soulless as a whole very much, and I fully intend to read the sequel, as well as the third book in the trilogy upon its release. I will simply have to loosen my anti-chicklit valve a smidge on this one aspect of the books and focus on relishing the other nine-tenths of the story.

message 87: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 996 comments Wow, loved your review, Candiss!! My favorite part is:

In context, these scenes felt over-the-top to me. Several times, I found myself thinking along the lines of, "Hold up there a minute, madam! What sort of tomfoolery is this? I'm having an episode of literary cognitive dissonance! You're getting peanut butter in my chocolate! These two clearly share a conflagration of chemistry, but methinks this is a bit over-the-line for the time period...and in the middle of the street, no less! And don't get me started on the ill-advisory of dry-humping on the floor of a jail cell the gentleman who just a moment ago tried to eviscerate you and could at any moment feasibly feel the burning need to try again." Harumph.

Hilarious!! Thanks for posting it here.

message 88: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Candiss wrote: "Soulless by Gail Carriger - As reviewed by an avowed enemy of chick-lit and a tolerator-at-best of supernatural romance.

**** (4 stars)

I thoroughly enjoyed my tim..."

If this book was not already on my TBR, it would be after your review!

message 89: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments Lyn M wrote: "Last night I finished Pride and Prejudice and I really enjoyed it. If you strip everything away, this is the typical romance book. Girl meets boy, they hate each other, learn to love..."

One of my favorite (if not THE favorite) books ever!

Tina wrote: "Lyn M wrote: "Last night I finished Pride and Prejudice and I really enjoyed it. If you strip everything away, this is the typical romance book. Girl meets boy, they hate each other,..."

It was wonderful, Tina. I am going to try to watch the A&E series now.

message 91: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments Lyn M wrote: "Tina wrote: "Lyn M wrote: "Last night I finished Pride and Prejudice and I really enjoyed it. If you strip everything away, this is the typical romance book. Girl meets boy, they hat..."

Get ready to be hooked! I hope you love it as much as I do :)

message 92: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments I was so glad that 2 people shelved Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell as chick-lit so I could have the perfect excuse to read it (not that I really need an excuse). Cranford is a book of vignettes written about the characters living in the Victorian town of Cranford. (And what interesting characters they are!) I have decided that I'm moving to Cranford--tomorrow. I want to meet them all have tea and bread & butter slices whilst we gossip about who committed the latest town vulgarity. Loved it and love E. Gaskell. I gave it five stars.

message 93: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton **** Engaging book about 5 women bonded together by marriage, children, changing times, and life. Fast paced, easy, enjoyable read. I recommend it to anyone who wants to read a book that, after finishing the last page, can think that it was time well invested.

message 94: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 234 comments Tina wrote: "I was so glad that 2 people shelved Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell as chick-lit so I could have the perfect excuse to read it..."

Another book added to Mount Wishlist, which of course is in addition to TBR Mountain - think I need to double my reading time!

Thanks for the rec, Tina!

message 95: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1070 comments I completed Digging to America last night and enjoyed it. It tells the story of two Korean children adopted on the same evening. The adoptive families meet in the airport when their babies arrive, and the remainder of the story describes the relationship that develops between these families. I give it 3 stars.

Tina wrote: "The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton **** Engaging book about 5 women bonded together by marriage, children, changing times, and life. Fast paced, easy, enjoyable read. I rec..."

I have that book slated to read for the Summer Challenge in the Seasonal Challenge Group. I'm glad you liked it.

Tina wrote: "I was so glad that 2 people shelved Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell as chick-lit so I could have the perfect excuse to read it (not that I really need an excuse). Cranford is a book of..."

Tina - Have you read North and South and how do they compare if you have. I have been wondering about this author. I will have to add Cranford to my list.

message 98: by Karen (new)

Karen (Karenofthebookworm) | 893 comments Living la Vida Loca*** everything the stereotypical chick-lit novel should be light, fluffy and undemanding. Perfect for sitting in the garden or on the beach.
However I don't think enough of the book was given over to the parts of the story that happen in Spain and Cuba, only the final third of the book. While Carmen and Beth are the main characters and obviously the story will focus on them I do think that when another character makes a life changing choice then there should be some explanation given as to why he is making that choice and not just that he is tired of the cult of celebrity.

message 99: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 234 comments Just finished Confessions of a Shopaholic and give it 3*. I agree with almost everything that Natalie said so well in message #53. This is definitely fluff, but I still could have done with about 50 pages less of her self-indulgence.

message 100: by Tina (new)

Tina | 231 comments Lyn M wrote: "Tina wrote: "I was so glad that 2 people shelved Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell as chick-lit so I could have the perfect excuse to read it (not that I really need an excuse). Cranford..."

I have read North & South and think I like it better than Cranford--but it's hard to compare them. N&S was a continuing storyline whereas C was a collection of vignettes. N&S was a development of the story, whereas C was mostly focused on the characters. Both were good in their own rights. If you liked Pride & Prejudice, I'll bet you'll like North and South and Elizabeth Gaskell

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Water for Elephants (other topics)
Size 12 Is Not Fat (other topics)
This Lullaby (other topics)
Baby Proof (other topics)
Summer on Blossom Street (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Debbie Macomber (other topics)
Kate White (other topics)
Fannie Flagg (other topics)