Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Do you honor the honor system?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I read an article about a St. Louis Panera Bread using the honor system at one of its restaurants as an experiment...

http://www.usatoday.com/MONEY/usaedit...

What do you think? What's your experience with the honor system? Will it work? What does the honor system say about human nature?

Two things come to mind...

1. Radiohead allowing people to pay however much they wanted for the download of their last album...

2. The idea of "suggested donations" at museums and the like. This happened to me the past week...the clerk said "the suggested donation is fifteen dollars". What if I said "Well, I only want to give five"? Could they stop me from entering? I paid the 15 by the way, I was just curious.

And...you?

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17338 comments Mod
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I'm a big lying sneak.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Well at least you're honest about it.

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

Or maybe I'm lying about it.

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh shit I never thought of that.

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

I like how your monkey looks like the Pepsi logo at first glance.

message 7: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments Have you ever used shareware on your computer? Ever paid for it? Same thing, right?

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Same thing yup.

You're right it does look like Pepsi.

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori Look at that beautiful baby! Haven't seen her for the last couple of weeks!~

I used to be a real cheapskate on the honor system. If I went to the museum I'd go on the free day, or else donate a dollar. But I was broke!

Ya know, since I had Jake I am squeaky clean. I have to walk the talk! And it feels great.

Unfortunately, I think human nature loves to cheat and not square with responsibility.

message 10: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments I think it has a lot more to do with nurture than with nature.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I usually honor the honor system.

I'm feeling guilty about not being a member of my local public radio station right now. I can SO afford it, but their pledge drives really annoy me, and I'm always in a hurry in the mornings getting ready for work, and don't want to stop and call.

Yes, I know, I can do it online. Leave me alone! ;)

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I heard there's a new restaurant in town, based on the public broadcasting business model. All of the food is completely free. However, every so often, the staff come around and harangue the patrons about making donations.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments We had pledge drives last week, Jackie! I fucking hate them so much!

(I've given to public radio in the past but I'm too cheap now.)

message 14: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I have, on occasion, paid off a debt that was owed (like kickball dues or money for a get well soon gift for a coworker) when I was left in the position of having to choose between paying dues to my friend or having laundry/lunch money for the next week or paying the dues. I can't stand it when that sort of thing happens, though.

message 15: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 350 comments I went to a neighborhood rummage a couple weeks ago and one of the sales had an honor system. The stuff was outside and there was a container for the money. The stuff wasn't all that great. I wonder if they would have done the honor system with stuff like electronics, tools, etc. I doubt it.

Also, my public library used to have an honor system with their book sales. It didn't work out -- I guess everyone's not so honest. They put up a sign after they stopped it saying "we trusted you ..."

Lori, I see what you're saying about setting an example.

But I do still like to go to Sam's. Sometimes they have great samples :) You just know that people put the stuff they're sampling into their cart like they're going to buy it and then set it down somewhere else.

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments there is a place in town where they sell feed and dog food and stuff out of a barn. they have all kinds of stock and inventory in there. sometimes it is manned by a human and sometimes it is not. you go in and get what you need. load it up yourself and then go to a little counter where they have a price list, a calculator and a cigar box with money in it. you figure out what you owe then put your money in the box and get change out if you need it. it is strangely refreshing and liberating to do biz this way and makes you feel good about yourself and other people. there are lots of little deals in yards in the fall where they have firewood and you leave a few bucks in a box and take firewood for camping. i like this idea. i believe in people

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments The u-pick blueberry field I go to is like that, Kevin. There's an old stump set up in the parking area before the fields, with coffee cans with wire handles for collecting the berries in, scales for you to weigh your berries, and then you put your money in a box sitting right there.

All completely honor system. I guess they figure, if you need blueberries that bad that you can't pay, you should just have them.

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori Nice to hear.

And since they're still open, they are not being chumped.

message 19: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments There's a small farm near my mom's house that sells stuff on the honor system. They have raspberries (on the vine), corn (already picked), and a lot of other things. There's a scale in a small shack, along with some boxes for the berries and bags for other produce. The price list is next to the cash bin, and they just trust that people will do the right thing.

It's been in operation for over 15 years, so I suppose the local populace has cooperated. Sometimes I miss McMinnville.

message 20: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7131 comments Most of the sweet corn stands out in the country near us use the honor system. The locals tend to know the farmer personally, and they know how hard it is to get up at 5 a.m. and pick sweet corn on a humid Iowa morning, so they tend to be honest. Once in a while, the cops will get a call about a rip off of the cash box, that is always sad.

message 21: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Update on this, a year later...very cool...

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireSt...

message 22: by Jammies (new)

Jammies *sniffle*

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) We have a place like that here. It's so cool.

message 24: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "there is a place in town where they sell feed and dog food and stuff out of a barn. they have all kinds of stock and inventory in there. sometimes it is manned by a human and sometimes it is not. y..."

That's it. I'm moving to Indiana.

message 25: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments Clark wrote: "That's it. I'm moving to Indiana. "

Two words as to why you should reconsider: Mitch Daniels