Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Outlander (2011) on IMDB

Comments Showing 1-50 of 206 (206 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Mara (new)

Mara | 17 comments Anyone see the Outlander info on IMDb?

I have the IMDb app on my ipod touch and was curious if a movie was actually being made- and I found some info!

Genre
Drama, Fantasy, Romance, Sci-Fi

Plot Summary
A British nurse visiting Scotland in 1945 stumbles upon a time portal that transports her to the 18th century.

Writers
Diana Gabaldon (novel) Randall Wallace (screenplay)

Jere Hausfater (executive producer)
Neil Kaplan (producer)
Jim Kohlberg (producer)

I heard that there are more info if you have IMDb pro- so if anyone has an account, I would like to know more!

And if anyone has anymore news, please do tell!

message 2: by AJ (new)

AJ | 19 comments Noooooooooooooooo! They never make movies that live up to the books. I hate to think of somebody unworthy stepping into Jamie's shoes. I know there's lots of discussion about Outlander casting (my particular favourte being Gerard Butler - as the older Jamie obviously), but I could never watch it. I prefer my Jamie and Claire in my fantasies where they belong!

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments I used to have IMDB pro but no more...when I last looked, there was nothing additional...so if its not even filming yet, then I doubt we'll see it in 2011...ya know? I can't see a movie being any good, but would love to see a mini-series, similar to the BBC Pride and Prejudice or the one i'm looking forward to Pillars of the Earth (8 hours I think) in the next few months

message 4: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 397 comments There has already been rumors going around as a series, similar to 'The Tudors', 'Rome', 'True Blood' etc etc. When the rights to a film were renewed, it was asked permission granted for a series, instead of a movie.

message 5: by Mara (new)

Mara | 17 comments I think it would be better to have a mini series on TV so they get all the scenes from the book. Ive given up trying to find a Jamie or Claire; Im going to stick to the image in my head. lol

message 6: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Wish HBO would take it up as a series....and the writers/producers etc. would stick to the story and not take liberties with it! Network TV could never do the sex scenes justice :) the censors would be on them like white on rice and it would'nt be the same without those scenes.

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments Aj wrote: "Noooooooooooooooo! They never make movies that live up to the books. I hate to think of somebody unworthy stepping into Jamie's shoes. I know there's lots of discussion about Outlander casting (..."

I'm with you Aj! I hope DG gets Book 8 (and 9 if there is one) done before spending time on a film/TV project.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 24 comments I could have sworn I read a long time ago that DG said if a movie was ever made, she didn't want anything to do with it. Now, if that is the case, then I don't know if I'd want to see it....Besides, NO ONE could do Jamie and Claire. And if they did make a movie/mini-series (and given the two choices, I would hope HBO or Showtime would pick up the series) they would have to cast a bunch of no name English/Scottish actors. No big names!!

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan I think HBO would do a great job with it. I think HBO shows are way better than movies in quality (action, effects, etc.).

message 10: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Megan....me too!

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary Swett (goswett) | 8 comments Many years ago Masterpiece Theatre did a series called Poldark, I*t was wonderful ..that is how the Outlander series should be done so it doesn't have to end after just 1 book...

message 12: by Dougie (new)

Dougie | 19 comments Funny you should mention Poldatk, which is set in Cornwall with an extremely tough main character (though not quite up to Jamie standards!). There were several series and it was enormously popular. It ran for years and, in fact is being shown again in Britain on the Yesterday channel. I thoroughly agree with Mary that this is how the Outlander series should be done. A two-hour film could never do it justice.

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments I used to be an avid Gerard Butler fan for the casting of old Jamie, but now I don't think anybody that I have seen can live up to the image I have in my mind. I also don't want to be disappointed if they make a movie out of it and it does not do the books justice. I think what makes the books unique and so enthralling is DG's devotion to detail. I just don't think a movie can portray that properly. If they did put the books on screen, I would vote for the HBO series....with good sex scenes and all. I also would hope Ms. Gabaldon would have a lot of say in it, otherwise it would be someone else's vision and not the genius that created it.

message 14: by Samantha (last edited May 26, 2010 12:06PM) (new)

Samantha | 141 comments I really dislike the idea of Gerard Butler playing Jamie... I LOVE Gerard, don't get me wrong, but he just so does not strike me as Jamie. His face isn't angular enough for me, although he does have a long straight nose...

I think an HBO series would be the best. Otherwise there is just no way to fit in half of what they need to in one movie- even if it is 3 hours long.

MTA: Honestly, however they do this- if the end up doing it- it will disappoint people because nobody IRL can live up to the book.

message 15: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Yeah, Gerard is certainly a hunk...a super hunk...and I'd jump his bones in a second if I got the chance but I think he is too old to play anything but the 40 to 50 year-old Jamie. But, what a man....um um um...sigh. That young guy that someone photoshopped red hair for looks like a good possibility. I don't remember his name but hot hot hot!

message 16: by Dolly (new)

Dolly Sullivan (Dollymama1) | 103 comments If it's the pic that I posted a link for, I think (not positive) that it is Halle Berry's ex. And I think he is a model not an actor. But if he can act I say he's the one!

message 17: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments Dorothy wrote: "If it's the pic that I posted a link for, I think (not positive) that it is Halle Berry's ex. And I think he is a model not an actor. But if he can act I say he's the one!"

He is Gabriel Aubry and he is definitely a hottie! ;)

message 18: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Halle Berry was married to him????? I didn't know that. He is one sure fine hottie.

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments They weren't actually married, but they did have a baby together. They just split a month or so ago.

message 20: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Oh! Lot of that goin' around. Too bad they split.

message 21: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments I'm sure their daughter will grow up to be completely gorgeous with those two as parents! :)

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 27 comments Mary wrote: "Many years ago Masterpiece Theatre did a series called Poldark, I*t was wonderful ..that is how the Outlander series should be done so it doesn't have to end after just 1 book..."
Just in case you don't know, the Poldark series has like 10 books you can read...totally forget the author, but look up just plain Poldark and you will find them..sort of a fun series set in I believe 19th century England..

message 23: by Dolly (new)

Dolly Sullivan (Dollymama1) | 103 comments The author is Winston Graham. There are 14 books total. It's 18th century starting at 1783. Ross Poldark just gets back from the war in America.
Barnes and Noble have the first 3 books available new in paperback or e reader. and the rest used. I don't know if it's something they are just getting in or fazing out. Because it's avail. e reader I think it's something they are just getting in. They also sell the Masterpiece Theatre series on dvd for about 65.00

message 24: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyrica) I know his nose is wrong, but I like Kellen Lutz for Jamie. The question is, would Kellen have the acting chops for it? Physically, I think he has everything except the nose for it.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, I would hope Outlander would be a TV series on maybe Showtime or HBO. A BBC miniseries such as Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth was very well done, but with it being 6 hours, a miniseries of that length would not be enough. ...Dorothy, thanks for the info about Poldark. I put the DVD in my Blockbuster Online Que to watch soon. I have recently seen the movie TIMELINE with Gerard Butler and Anna Friels. Clips from that movie appear in several Outlander cast clips on youtube. I love Anna Friels as a Claire! I watched both seasons of Pushing Daisies of which she starred. She is a worthy actress.

message 26: by Dolly (new)

Dolly Sullivan (Dollymama1) | 103 comments I have the movie TIMELINE and have watched it several times in the last few months since I started reading the Outlander books. I used it to get a feel for the scottish accent. 2 Scottish actors in it. (and I can never get enough Gerard!) After awhile I realized that while reading Voyager and on, I tend to picture Gerard Butler and Anna Friels as Jamie and Claire in my mind. I think they would work great. But if they do anything at all they will start with Outlander and DFIA. By the time they ever get to when they are in their 40's Gerard Butler is going to be old and gray.
Sigh......I think they are really going to have find some unknowns for this to really work, if it ever does.

message 27: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments We may all be old and gray by the time they get to it! But I agree...they will need to look for some unknowns..of course I'd rather it be someone who can actually act and do the parts justice.

message 28: by Renee (new)

Renee (nightbird) | 334 comments Josh Holloway from LOST is the spit of Gabriel Aubrey, only with a more rugged look and he can act. I think he'd make a great Jamie. At least I've adopted him as Jamie in my mind. He'd have to do something about that Southern accent though.

message 29: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Oh my oh my, yes a very definite possibility!

message 30: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 397 comments totally agree with Anna Friel for Claire. Every timme I see her, that's what automatically comes to this 'ol girls mind...

here's a link.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0295484/

Also. I LOVED TIMELINE... So much, in fact. I named my last born son, after Gerard's character. His name is Marek... lol. I have searched everywhere for the DVD, but can't find it,

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Last year, I saw the latest version of Anna Korenina. Kevin McKidd starred in the movie. I have always pictured him as the tall red haired scottish Jamie. Kevin in red haired and Scottish. Google him and let me know. I just think Gerard Butler would be too big for a TV series.

message 32: by Mary G. (last edited May 28, 2010 09:53PM) (new)

Mary G. (nonometoo) | 319 comments For some reason, I see Gerald Butler as Dougal more than as Jaime.

message 33: by Dolly (new)

Dolly Sullivan (Dollymama1) | 103 comments Shell wrote: "totally agree with Anna Friel for Claire. Every timme I see her, that's what automatically comes to this 'ol girls mind...

here's a link.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0295484/

Also. I LOVED..."

Shell, Barnes and Noble has the Timeline DVD for $8.99 and if you are a member the shipping is free.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Inspired by those Outlander cast vids on youtube, I watched Rachel Weisz act in the movie Swept from the Sea from which clips from that movie are used for the Outlander clips. It was a beautifully shot romantic film, haunting, and worth watching.

message 35: by Dolly (new)

Dolly Sullivan (Dollymama1) | 103 comments Thanks Robin, I just checked out the reviews for Swept from the Sea and it does look very good. So I ordered it. Always looking for a decent movie, esp. in the summer when not much is on tv.

message 36: by [deleted user] (last edited May 29, 2010 11:28AM) (new)

I would love to see him (the dude from Lost) as Jamie only if he is able to shed his accent. He seems to have a southern, Louisianna kind of way about him. That's why I hadn't mentioned him as a Jamie before.

message 37: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 146 comments Robin wrote: "Last year, I saw the latest version of Anna Korenina. Kevin McKidd starred in the movie. I have always pictured him as the tall red haired scottish Jamie. Kevin in red haired and Scottish. Google h..."

Kevin has the red hair but is not near good looking enogh!IMHO
Josh Holloway has the looks and looks like he's tall enough but I think it should all be unknowns and real Scots.

Is Anna Friel english?

message 38: by Dolly (new)

Dolly Sullivan (Dollymama1) | 103 comments Yes she is english. Raised in the greater Manchester area. This is more than you needed I'm sure, but her mother is english, her father is irish.

message 39: by Mishelle (last edited May 29, 2010 04:49PM) (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 397 comments I agree, Kevin isn't near good looking enough to play Jamie. He's cute, don't get me wrong, but he certainly doesn't make me salivate, AND I'm fairly certain, if one Mr. James Fraser were standing in front of me, I would definatly be drooling..... chronically...

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Funny stuff, Shell! ...and Kevin McKidd is too old now anyway.

message 41: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments Josh Holloway is definitely cute enough. I don't watch Lost so I have no idea what he sounds like. Kevin McKidd is great looking but he is getting just a little old like Gerard to play a young Jamie....maybe 50-ish Jamie and older though.

message 42: by Renee (new)

Renee (nightbird) | 334 comments Robin wrote: "I would love to see him (the dude from Lost) as Jamie only if he is able to shed his accent. He seems to have a southern, Louisianna kind of way about him. That's why I hadn't mentioned him as a J..."

He was born in California, but his family moved to Georgia later. I think he could dump the accent. He IS an actor after all. I love his gruffness on LOST. And his smile. I think he could be Jamie no problem.

message 43: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 146 comments Thanks Dorothy.I did enjoy the show Pushing Daisies so she might be a good one.
Alot of times for southerners a british accent is one they can easily do and vice versa.
So Josh is a definate maybe!

message 44: by Sharonh (new)

Sharonh | 472 comments He can probably shed the Southern accent easily enough with a coach but he would really need a coach to be able to do a believable Scottish accent! But if he could....oh my oh my...he would be perfect but they'd have to dye his hair AND his beard because Jamie definitely has a red beard too...Claire talks about it enough to establish that point.

message 45: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 27 comments Not that I am one to criticize, and particularly because most of the people you guys suggest, I can't picture without looking on the net (I am so totally forgetful associating actors to their actual FACES unless it is a film I have seen lately(:>)BUT, as I recall it is mentioned nowhere that Jamie is considered gorgeous...from the first book, I don't recall that being the thing that most attracted Claire, certainly. He had wit, intelligence, integrity, bravery, spirituality. He is large, VERA male,and has a distinctive look. I think what makes him gorgeous to all of US is who he is...so I don't think we have to have a beautiful man to portray him, just one that we can consider hugely sexy, mostly by virtue of having to have gotten to know him (:>). Look at all of the actors we know that are sexy primarily because of the roles they have played. I certaily didn't see Tom Cruise as remotely sexy in Born on the Fourth of July..and really, I hated Daniel Day Lewis in There will Be Blood, as well as Gangs...but I LOVED him in Mohicans!!!SEXY!!
I'm just sayin'...

message 46: by Dolly (new)

Dolly Sullivan (Dollymama1) | 103 comments Here! Here! Very good point!

message 47: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 397 comments I see what your saying, but it was mentioned that he was a rare, and exotic looking man. Almost, 'beautiful'. Striking in his presence... Those aren't even including his amazing personality traits.... So he has to be someone with sex appeal.. At first glance.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

You Gals crack me up! HA! Two yummy dudes that should appear in the Outlander drama possibly could be Richard Armitage and Rupert Penry Jones. Richard starred in the 2004 BBC movie NORTH AND SOUTH which was an awesome movie like Pride and Prejudice. (Blockbuster Online has it) Rupert Penry Jones is a red head who starred this season's Materpiece Theater's The 39 Steps. (I liked the original black and white of Alfred Hitchcock myself better). Anyway, here is a link to view Richard and Rupert in one clip. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbQ-kg...

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Robin wrote: "You Gals crack me up! HA! Two yummy dudes that should appear in the Outlander drama possibly could be Richard Armitage and Rupert Penry Jones. Richard starred in the 2004 BBC movie NORTH AND SOUTH ..."

Or...maybe I've just spent a little too much time surfing the net for yummy hunks?! HA!

message 50: by Renee (new)

Renee (nightbird) | 334 comments Lisa wrote: "Not that I am one to criticize, and particularly because most of the people you guys suggest, I can't picture without looking on the net (I am so totally forgetful associating actors to their actua..."

There are remarks, I think by the old man at the stables at the castle that Jamie had the ladies all going for him. "Even the sassenach wench..." And when Jamie appears at the gathering Claire is struck by the way he looks and most of the women. Also, he quite caught Claire's fancy when he turned up for their wedding day in his tartan as very impressive in appearance. So...I don't think there's any doubt that he's quite handsome looking. Not to mention how Jenny brags about what a bonnie baby he was. And Bree seeing her father in the painting with his brother, remarks on his looks. So, I think there's a lot to back up that Jamie is a good looking man.

« previous 1 3 4 5