Romantic Historical Fiction Lovers discussion

NOMINATED RHF TITLES > BOOK NOMINATIONS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 590 (590 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

message 1: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Hi everyone-
I got the ball rolling by nominating (5) great titles for our group reading list. Please check them out. Tell me if you agree and add one or more of your own!

Be sure to discuss why the book should be listed when you add it to our group shelf.

message 2: by Julianna (last edited May 22, 2010 05:41PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 40 comments Here are a few books I would like to recommend that I think fit this group:

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon - I've only read the first three, but recently started re-reading them in preparation for getting up to date on the series. Even though they have the light PNR time-travel element, IMO the books are primarily historical fiction with a very strong romance. Jamie and Claire are my all-time favorite romantic couple, and I love how Diana Gabaldon incorporates real historical events and important people from history in the novels.

A Bed of Spices by Barbara Samuel - This was a beautiful historical romance, but I learned a lot of historical facts from it about the Black Death and Jewish holocaust of the middle ages that have really stuck with me.

Two Suns in the Sky by Miriam Bat-Ami - This is a YA historical novel that also had a lovely romance in it. I learned all about a Jewish refugee camp in upstate New York during WWII, something I'd previously known nothing about.

I have a passion for history and love learning new things when I'm reading novels. All of these books fit that bill and spurred me to do some research of my own on the historical events covered within their pages.

message 3: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Hey Julie- Thanks so very much for your suggestions!
I will put these with your comments on our group bookshelf. If you think of any others - just add them to our shelf of nominated titles and please state briefly why it qualifies as both historical and romantic. We are off to a great start!

BTW - I just bought Diana Gabaldon's first two titles in the Outlander series, as I have heard so much about her. I love that they take place in the Georgian era, which is also the setting for my own novel, and the one I love best (followed closely by the Restoration and Napoleonic eras).

Thanks!!

message 4: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 40 comments You're welcome, Emery. I hope you enjoy the Outlander books. They are my absolute favorite romantic historical fiction. If you end up liking Outlander, you may want to have the third book on hand before starting the second, because it has a cliffhanger ending.:-)

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I love the Outlander books. I hope you enjoy them Emery.

Here are my recs:
Helen of Troy by Margaret George. It tells the classic story of Helen and Paris, but adds some of the magical elements associated with the gods. I thought it was a very good mix of the two.

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. This one is more historical than romantic, but there is romance towards the second half the book. It takes place during biblical times and delves into what it was like being a woman during these times.

The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly. This one takes place in 1888 in London. I really loved this one because of the romance and strong female character.

message 6: by Marie (new)

Marie Burton (marieburton2004) Ciji Ware,author, is a possible as well for your group. I loved A Cottage by The Sea as well as Island of The Swans.
A Cottage By The Sea
Island of the Swans

message 7: by Christy B (new)

Christy B (runaway84) Along with The Tea Rose, the follow-up The Winter Rose should be added, as well.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifer_q85) Marie wrote: "Ciji Ware,author, is a possible as well for your group. I loved A Cottage by The Sea as well as Island of The Swans.
A Cottage By The Sea
[book:Island of the Swans|3..."
I'll be reading and reviewing this one soon!

message 9: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "Here are a few books I would like to recommend that I think fit this group:

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon - I've only read the first three, but recently started..."

Hi Julie-
I've added your suggestions to the group book shelf. If you think of any others- just add to the shelf but be sure to state why you are nominating the title.Thanks!

message 10: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Marie wrote: "Ciji Ware,author, is a possible as well for your group. I loved A Cottage by The Sea as well as Island of The Swans.
A Cottage By The Sea
[book:Island of the Swans|3..."

Hi Marie-

Can you give a very brief synopsis on A Cottage By The Sea, or why you feel it's a good fit for both history and romance? Thanks!

message 11: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Christy wrote: "Along with The Tea Rose, the follow-up The Winter Rose should be added, as well."

Hi Christy-
Can you please tell us briefly about these two novels and why you feel they capture the best of historical fiction as well as romance? Thanks!

message 12: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Jackie wrote: "I love the Outlander books. I hope you enjoy them Emery.

Here are my recs:
Helen of Troy by Margaret George. It tells the classic story of Helen and Paris, but adds s..."

Hi Jackie-
Can you tell us a bit more about The Tea Rose and why you think it's a great fit? Thanks!

message 13: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Jackie wrote: "I love the Outlander books. I hope you enjoy them Emery.

Here are my recs:
Helen of Troy by Margaret George. It tells the classic story of Helen and Paris, but adds s..."

Hi Jackie-
I looked at some of the reviews of The Tea Rose as well as The Winter Rose (book #2) They both look very intriguing. Definitely will add both. Feel free to add any comments of reviews of these titles.

message 14: by Marie (new)

Marie Burton (marieburton2004) Emery wrote: "Marie wrote: "Ciji Ware,author, is a possible as well for your group. I loved A Cottage by The Sea as well as Island of The Swans.
A Cottage By The Sea
[book:Island ..."

The book has a bit of a gothic (Du Maurier) tone that involves the main character going to Cornwall to escape a public divorce. She meets the landlord, falls in love (*romance), but also has a bit of transcendental experiences into her ancestors' lives (*historical). Obviously the book is much better then this summary, I loved it!

message 15: by Christy B (new)

Christy B (runaway84) Emery wrote: "Christy wrote: "Along with The Tea Rose, the follow-up The Winter Rose should be added, as well."

Hi Christy-
Can you please tell us briefly about these two novels and why you fee..."

It's been a while since I've read them (I really should reread them sometime), so my explanations would probably be lame.

I found the synopsises on Donnelly's website to be great:

http://www.jenniferdonnelly.com/tr_st...
http://www.jenniferdonnelly.com/wr_st...

message 16: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Marie wrote: "Emery wrote: "Marie wrote: "Ciji Ware,author, is a possible as well for your group. I loved A Cottage by The Sea as well as Island of The Swans.
A Cottage By The Sea
..."

Thanks Marie-
I've added it to the list. BTW- Since you are a fan of hers, you might want to know that Ciji Ware has a new title coming next year -another Sourcebooks release.

message 17: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Have any of you read this Civil War romance? I caught a blurb about it today at Booklust. Shades of Gray: A Novel of the Civil War in VirginiaThis looks like it might be a good addition to our reading list but would like some member feedback since I have not read it.

message 18: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Jun 17, 2010 10:20AM) (new)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments I think christy english'sThe Queen's Pawnwould be a great read ..not much about alais princesss of france..& eleanor& henry. I always like to read about the goings on' in court of those times.Also she's a goodreads author! lets support her! :)

message 19: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Sandi wrote: "I think christy english'sThe Queen's Pawnwould be a great read ..not much about alais princesss of france..& eleanor& henry. I always like to read about the goings on' in court of th..."

I agree! I added it to our Group's Romantic Biographical Fiction shelf yesterday.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments Emery wrote: "Have any of you read this Civil War romance? I caught a blurb about it today at Booklust. Shades of Gray: A Novel of the Civil War in VirginiaThis looks like it might be a good addit..."

I have this book! not read yet. I heard its more of a romance & touches less on the southern war..any one else have? I have TOO many books & too little time!!:) need to start to multi-read!

message 21: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

I hate reading more than one book at a time. I feel guilty like I'm cheating on a boyfriend!

message 22: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Jun 24, 2010 07:52AM) (new)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments Emery wrote: "I hate reading more than one book at a time. I feel guilty like I'm cheating on a boyfriend!"

AHH..here is the post! I hadnt read the book yet..just finished it! so my answer is on the "have you read page"..Im easy to confuse..:(

message 23: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I would like to recommend The Canterbury Papers by Judith Koll Healey. I has a great pace, is suspenseful, and romantic. The back cover reads, "Alais, the king of France's sister, is abducted while on her mission for the wily Eleanor of Aquitaine...to retrieve hidden letters that...could bring down the English king." The leader of the Knights Templar gets involved - an old friend/love.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments hi Heidi..the bookThe Canterbury Papers: A NovelbyJudith Koll Healeyalso has a sequelThe Rebel PrincessI just got them today!

message 25: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Heidi wrote: "I would like to recommend The Canterbury Papers by Judith Koll Healey. I has a great pace, is suspenseful, and romantic. The back cover reads, "Alais, the king of France's sister, is abducted whi..."

Thanks Heid! I wonder if Christie has read this as well. The era is, of course, her forte.The Canterbury Papers: A Novel

message 26: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Sandi wrote: "hi Heidi..the bookThe Canterbury Papers: A NovelbyJudith Koll Healeyalso has a sequelThe Rebel PrincessI just got them today!"

I'm so excited that there's a sequel!! I'm going to go out and find it right away. I'm more than half-way through a good, but not fantastic Swedish mystery, and just finished the Stieg Larsson series before that - which I loved. So, I am so ready to leave the Scandos and go back in time to England : ) Thanks for the tip off.
p.s. yes, I thought of Christie too.

message 27: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I find myself wondering about the group definition of romance and whether it's pretty flexible? I'd like to put Octavia Butler's cult classic Kindred out as suggestion. It's a great inside look at an 1800s slave plantation in Maryland. The cool thing about this book is that the main character, Dana (a black feminist), travels from 1976 Los Angeles back to this plantation every time her white ancestor there is in danger of dying. If he dies, she won't exist. She gives a unique perspective on slave life because she must live as one while there. Romance comes in because back in Los Angeles she is newly married and the book also chronicles how her relationship endures. Her husband follows her back in time to try and protect her and gets stuck there too for many years - only he's white. I've taught this book and almost everyone loved it.

message 28: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Gaile (kittygladu) | 251 comments Mod
My recommendation is also The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose!

message 29: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Heidi wrote: "I find myself wondering about the group definition of romance and whether it's pretty flexible? I'd like to put Octavia Butler's cult classic Kindred out as suggestion. It's a great inside look a..."

Heidi-
For our purposes, a historical fiction must include a romance/love story as an integral part of the book's plot (as opposed to a traditional romance in which the love story IS the plot.)

In considering works of historical romance, the story must center around real historical figures and/or real historical events in order to fit.

Does that help?

message 30: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Gaile wrote: "My recommendation is also The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose!"

I've put these on our shelf and look forward to reading them.

message 31: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Emery wrote: "Heidi wrote: "I find myself wondering about the group definition of romance and whether it's pretty flexible? I'd like to put Octavia Butler's cult classic Kindred out as suggestion. It's a great..."

Yes, that helps a lot. So, something like Cold Mountain would work? Great book.

message 32: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Heidi wrote: "Emery wrote: "Heidi wrote: "I find myself wondering about the group definition of romance and whether it's pretty flexible? I'd like to put Octavia Butler's cult classic Kindred out as suggestion...."

I have not read the book but enjoyed the movie. It definitely fits! It's going on the group shelf now.Cold Mountain
Thank you Heidi for some fantastic nominations!

message 33: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

I spent a few minutes this evening sub-catagorizing our reading list. The variety is fabulous. Thank you all! Can't wait to read some of these!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments Hi Emery..Ipicked these up awhile back..but havent had a chance to read but they look SO good A Rose for the Crown: A Novel&Daughter of York: A Novel&The King's Grace: A Novelall look to have lots of history & romance! byAnne Easter Smith

message 35: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Great suggestions for Romantic biographical fiction! I have created a 15th century shelf especially for them.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments Emery wrote: "Great suggestions for Romantic biographical fiction! I have created a 15th century shelf especially for them."

Thats great! thanks Emery

message 37: by Christy (new)

Christy English (christy_english) | 67 comments Emery wrote: "Sandi wrote: "I think christy english'sThe Queen's Pawnwould be a great read ..not much about alais princesss of france..& eleanor& henry. I always like to read about the goings on' ..."

Thanks you guys! I am thrilled we'll be adding this. How exciting...

message 38: by Christy (new)

Christy English (christy_english) | 67 comments Sandi wrote: "hi Heidi..the bookThe Canterbury Papers: A NovelbyJudith Koll Healeyalso has a sequelThe Rebel PrincessI just got them today!"

I would love to read these...I love Princess Alais...:)

message 39: by Jewel (new)

Jewel | 40 comments Hi Emery, and everyone.
I just got this today courtesy of a dear friend, Taj: A Story of Mughal India
It's the story of Emperor Shah Jahan, and his beloved wife and the great monument he built for her, the Taj Mahal, I thought it would fit with what this group is about.
Can't wait to read it.

message 40: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Jewel wrote: "Hi Emery, and everyone.
I just got this today courtesy of a dear friend, Taj: A Story of Mughal India
It's the story of Emperor Shah Jahan, and his beloved wife and the great monume..."

Thank you Jewel-
And you are so aptly named!

message 41: by Jewel (new)

Jewel | 40 comments Also some suggested Helen of Troy.
I know we all have different tastes and I respect that, I wasn't crazy about this one, but there was another book about the same story that I really loved, The Song of Troy, it's the same story but without the influence of Myth or Gods, narrated by different characters in each chapter.

message 42: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Thank you. I LOVED The Thorn Birds by the same author. I'm definitely adding it also!

message 43: by Jewel (new)

Jewel | 40 comments I was just checking our growing list, Thanks.
I noticed that you have The Heretic Queen, along with this one you can add, Nefertiti, I highly recommend it.
Also, Heat and Dust, also recommend it, a really good read.

message 44: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Jul 02, 2010 11:38AM) (new)

Hi Jewel-
These look great. Does Nefertiti have a strong enough "Romantic thread?" By the description, it looks like HEAT and Dust certainly does.

message 45: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I wouldn't say Nefertiti has a strong enough romance for it to qualify for this group, which is why I didn't suggest it. There is romance between Nefertiti's sister and her husband, but it's not the main element of the story. The story focuses more on Nefertiti's rise to power and the effect it had on her family. Even though I believe Nefertiti loved the prince in her own way I wouldn't classify their love as romantic. Just my opinion, but someone else might differ of course :)

message 46: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Jackie wrote: "I wouldn't say Nefertiti has a strong enough romance for it to qualify for this group, which is why I didn't suggest it. There is romance between Nefertiti's sister and her husband, but it's not th..."

Thanks Jackie! I questioned that part when I read the
book's description. I would catagorize it then as more biographical fiction. We allow BF as long as it it includes a love story within the plot.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments Jewel..the book Heat&Dust..looks really good..but does it have alot of politics in it? I find stories set in india & russia hard to get into...but Im putting it on my wish list.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments Emery..the bookshelf looks great!! I keep adding to my wishlist...III need to work some overtime! :)

message 49: by Jewel (new)

Jewel | 40 comments Heat and Dust, no politics.
It talks about two women, Olivia in the 1920s, who was married to an English official in India, but then falls in love/has an affair with a Nawab,(something like a prince in India) and then 50 years later, Olivia's husband's granddaughter?? comes to India to learn about Olivia and why they never talk about her, and in her turn falls in love with an Indian as well. The book goes back and forth between the two women.
There was a movie made in 1983, which i have not seen, but I'm kind of hoping for newer version of it.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments thanks Jewel..almost sounds likeThe Far PavilionsorShadow of the Moonby
M.M. Kayehave you read those?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12