The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 25.7 - Wendy's Task - I'm Passionate About...

Comments (showing 1-50 of 128) (128 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1378 comments 25.7 - Wendy's Task - I'm Passionate About...
For this task you will need to read...
A. A non-fiction book about a subject that you are passionate about. (EXAMPLE: If your passion is travel you could read The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World)
AND
B. A fictional book that includes your passion in the title. (EXAMPLE: Gulliver's Travels)

Be sure to identify what your passion is in your post.

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task post them here.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Lavendarlol wrote: "I have a question and I know this isn't the right topic but: if you need help with a task that doesn't have a topic yet what do you do?"

If you don't know the topic, how do you know you need help?

message 3: by Alicia (Lav) (new)

Alicia (Lav) Never mind. Just figured out there's more than it shows on the front page.

Elizabeth (Alaska) LOL gotcha. Actually there is a topic help:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 5: by Alicia (Lav) (new)

Alicia (Lav) Thanks!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 2665 comments I have two passions children and dogs. Dogs is probably easier to do.

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1158 comments Can their be variations on the words?

Example: one of my passions is writing- would it be okay to use books with write, writer etc.?

another is poetry- would poem, poetic etc. be okay?

Thanks! GREAT TASK!

message 8: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 661 comments To kind of expand on Nicole's question:

My passion is all things science - anatomy, cell biology, biochem, physics, neuro, etc.

For the title of my fictional book, could I use one of those words (chemistry, physics, biology) in the title, or does it need to be the word 'science' specifically?

Thanks!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 2665 comments I also have a passion for books and fantasy.

message 10: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Does anyone know some good nonfiction books about books? I don't want to read one with summaries because I don't like the spoilers. I remember there was a task about this, did anyone read anything good?

message 11: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments A couple interesting ones about books and collecting are by Larence Goldstone Used and Rare: Travels in the Book World and Slightly Chipped: Footnotes in Booklore.
Or, for the more human side of it
84, Charing Cross Road might work. Lots of books mentioned in it.
I enjoyed Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader by Anne Fadiman.

message 12: by Nicole (last edited May 21, 2010 04:02AM) (new)

Nicole | 1158 comments Anyone have any recommendations for fiction books with the word "writing" "write" or "writer"?

Only found these so far:

The Writing on My Forehead: A Novel
Please Write in This Book

If anyone else is choosing writing as their passion, this was a great book (I read it already and I am trying not to re-read unless necessary!)

The Writing On The Wall

message 15: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 515 comments If my passion is reading/books/new books/bestsellers, can I read the following two?
NF: How to Read Literature Like a Professor: A Lively and Entertaining Guide to Reading Between the Lines and
Fiction: The Accidental Bestseller

message 16: by Liz M (last edited May 21, 2010 05:21AM) (new)

Liz M Laura wrote: "Does anyone know some good nonfiction books about books? I don't want to read one with summaries because I don't like the spoilers. I remember there was a task about this, did anyone read anything ..."

This was Roseann's 50 point task Summer 2009 -- read a book about books & one of the books mentioned.

The Complete Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby is a fun read. Yes, he does summarize some books, but the essays are more about his relationship to reading and the balancing of reading and the rest of life.
The Books_about_Books list has mostly fiction works at the top, but several are memoirs or other non-fiction works. Or this list.

message 17: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Gosh. Must figure out a passion because I dash between things that I like such as I dabble a little in this and that.

Suppose if I do cooking/baking since I've been more actively interested in learning about it more...I could read: My Life in France by Julia Child and then find a chef/cooking/baking fiction book from my TBR (I have a TON of those books lately)!! :)

message 18: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited May 21, 2010 06:19AM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 2665 comments okay i think i will read Puppy Chow Is Better than Prozac The True Story of a Man and the Dog Who Saved His Life by Bruce Goldstein and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time  by Mark Haddon

message 19: by Jennifer (last edited May 21, 2010 07:26AM) (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) For someone passionate about knitting, would you accept Stephanie Pearl-McPhee Casts Off for Part A? It's not a pattern book. It's more of a book of essays about Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's (aka The Yarn Harlot) experiences/observations about knitting, including some history about knitting, etc. It's a humourous guide to the land of knitting.

Also, for Part B, would you accept a book with "knit" in the title, or should I aim for "knitting"?

Thanks.

message 20: by Katie (new)

Katie (cowgirl-up) | 263 comments Does the fiction have to relate in any way to my passion or just have the word in the title?

My passion is fitness/being fit.

For my non-fiction book I'm planning to read Fit From Within : 101 Simple Secrets to Change Your Body and Your Life - Starting Today and Lasting Forever and for the fiction I'd like to read Hissy Fit: A Novel.

Does that work?

message 21: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 661 comments Nicole wrote: "Anyone have any recommendations for fiction books with the word "writing" "write" or "writer"?

Only found these so far:

Please Write in Th..."</i>

[book:The Ghost Writer

message 22: by Deana (new)

Deana Pittman Cait wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Anyone have any recommendations for fiction books with the word "writing" "write" or "writer"?

Only found these so far:

Ple..."</i>

I found this one...it just sounds good!
[book:An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England
An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England by Brock Clarke

message 23: by Petra (last edited May 21, 2010 09:08AM) (new)

Petra One of my passions is to cook a full, fancy style, feast of a meal (appetizers, soup, entree, dessert), especially ethnic meals.
Do I need to use the work "cook", "cooking", etc. as the passion or can I use "feast" or "feasting" because I like cooking the more extravant meals (rather than everyday ho-hum)?

message 24: by Nicole (last edited May 21, 2010 09:09AM) (new)

Nicole | 1158 comments Oh my god that Arsonist book sounds AWESOME!

message 25: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Nicole wrote: "Anyone have any recommendations for fiction books with the word "writing" "write" or "writer"?"

Ghostwritten by David Mitchell

message 26: by Deana (new)

Deana Pittman Nicole wrote: "Oh my god that Arsonist book sounds AWESOME!"

I know...I came across it searching for something else! If you read it first, be sure to let us know how it is!

message 27: by Liz (new)

Liz If one of my passions is my family, could the first book be a memoir about a family: The Glass Castle, or does it need to be something like: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families?

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) Laura wrote: "Does anyone know some good nonfiction books about books?"

Hi Laura. I would love to recommend Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them by Francine Prose. It is an excellent book and doesn't really summarize other books, just examines what it is the great writers do so well to make readers love them so much and their works endure over time. It is a book that is great for book lovers and writers alike. This article, from the NYT is a good overview.

message 30: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 422 comments If I have a passion for books could I read 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die and The Children's Book?

message 31: by Kim D (new)

Kim D (kdimattia) | 188 comments So if my passion is reading and books can I read The Book of Lost Things for the 2nd part?

message 32: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Thanks for all the recommendations!

message 33: by Nicole (last edited May 22, 2010 11:10AM) (new)

Nicole | 1158 comments So unless Wendy says this won't work I am using these:

Non-fiction about writing: Thunder and Lightning: Cracking Open the Writer's Craft

Fiction with a word related to my passion in the title: An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England

I think this works because I am passionate about being a writer. I have been submitting my poems like crazy this past month.

message 34: by Liz (new)

Liz Nicole wrote: "So unless Wendy says this won't work I am using these:

Non-fiction about writing: Thunder and Lightning: Cracking Open the Writer's Craft

Fiction with a word related to my passion i..."

Good for you Nicole! I'm always amazed by so many peoples' talents. Good luck with getting published!

message 35: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Jayme wrote: "I have two passions children and dogs. Dogs is probably easier to do."
One of each???

message 36: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Laura wrote: "Does anyone know some good nonfiction books about books? I don't want to read one with summaries because I don't like the spoilers. I remember there was a task about this, did anyone read anything ..."

One challenge we read book reviews that was more interesting than I would have thought

message 37: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Petra wrote: "One of my passions is to cook a full, fancy style, feast of a meal (appetizers, soup, entree, dessert), especially ethnic meals.
Do I need to use the work "cook", "cooking", etc. as the passion or..."

It's YOUR Passion, you decide!!!!!!!!!!

message 38: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Liz wrote: "If one of my passions is my family, could the first book be a memoir about a family: The Glass Castle, or does it need to be something like: [book:The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Famil..."

Either but I hated Glass Castle and I can't imagine anyone's family passion being dystopian or dysfunctional!!

message 39: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Liz wrote: "Or I'm thinking about doing:
A.Stones into Schools: Promoting Peace with Books, Not Bombs, in Afghanistan and Pakistan
B.The School of Essential Ingredients
(Passio..."

Cool. I also found Stones Into Schools to be Slow going.

message 40: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Jennifer N. wrote: "If I have a passion for books could I read 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die and The Children's Book?"

Fine. Enjoy.

message 41: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Nicole wrote: "So unless Wendy says this won't work I am using these:

Read and then write!!!!

message 42: by Petra (new)

Petra Wendy wrote: "Petra wrote: "One of my passions is to cook a full, fancy style, feast of a meal (appetizers, soup, entree, dessert), especially ethnic meals.
Do I need to use the work "cook", "cooking", etc. as t..."

Thanks, Wendy!

message 43: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Nicole wrote: "So unless Wendy says this won't work I am using these:

Poetry and a bio of a poet works too!!

message 44: by Liz (new)

Liz Wendy wrote: "Liz wrote: "If one of my passions is my family, could the first book be a memoir about a family: The Glass Castle, or does it need to be something like: [book:The 7 Habits of Highly Eff..."

Haha! It would defintely be a "what not to do" for my own family.

message 45: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1158 comments Ooohhh. That's a great idea Wendy! I am always looking for a way to cram poetry into these challenges. Thanks for being so flexible with your task! I love biographies about poets. Those are about the only ones I DO like!!!! I think I own a few I keep meaning to read. Hmmm. Off to ruminate on what to read!

message 46: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 602 comments I'm passionate about books so can I read the following?

A - The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop
B - People of the Book

message 47: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Nicole wrote: "Ooohhh. That's a great idea Wendy! I am always looking for a way to cram poetry into these challenges. Thanks for being so flexible with your task! I love biographies about poets. Those are about t..."
Enjoy!!!

message 48: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 588 comments Patricia wrote: "I'm passionate about books so can I read the following?

A - The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop
B - People of the Book"

Perfect!!

message 49: by Petra (new)

Petra Does the non-fiction book for Part A have to contain the word for the passion? Would Bound to Please work for a passion for books & reading, even if it doesn't contain the word "book(s)" or "reading"?

message 50: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Petra wrote: "Does the non-fiction book for Part A have to contain the word for the passion? Would Bound to Please work for a passion for books & reading, even if it doesn't contain the word "book(..."

Yes, the word-in-title only applies to part B.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World (other topics)
Gulliver's Travels (other topics)
84, Charing Cross Road (other topics)
Used and Rare: Travels in the Book World (other topics)
Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Anne Fadiman (other topics)
Julia Child (other topics)
Vicki Myron (other topics)
Anne McCaffrey (other topics)
Mercedes Lackey (other topics)
More...