Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Buddy Reads > Riding the Storm by Sydney Croft [ACRO Bk 1]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 902 comments Mod
I am currently reading this as a BOM selection in another PNR reading group. Who else has read this or would like to read this? I'll post questions later.

KindleRomance Reviews It's been on my list to read. I've just been holding off since I'm the middle of so many series:-) But I can move it up and read it this weekend.

message 3: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Great Kris. I'd be glad to chat about it with you. I am about half way through it =D. This was not a planned series start for me either, lol, I know the feeling. But since I picked it as the BOM I figured I'd read it.

KindleRomance Reviews Hi Kenjii,
I just finished it. I hope you post your questions soon. I don't have a great memory:-)
Kris

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (krazij) | 3 comments I've read the series and LOVED them. It was among my FIRST in the paranormal/romance when I started about a year ago.

The 3rd is my favorite. The storyline is GREAT, kinda like X-men and X files w/ a lot of hot sex thrown in. lol

Although they don't get their own book, my favorite couple are Annika and Creed. They're in all the books as a secondary story.

Enjoy the books!

KindleRomance Reviews I think I have great news for you. I loved that couple too. I checked out all of the books on the website and there is one about Creed & Annika. It's in the The Mammoth Book of Special Ops Romance and the novella is called Code Word:Storm. I'm half tempted to read it next because I want to see how their story goes. There is a great review about it if you check out the Mammoth book on GR.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (krazij) | 3 comments In the 3rd book we find out how they end up. IT'S SO GOOD! I did see that at the Sydney Croft web site but was confused because when I read an excerpt from their story, I'd already READ all of that in the first two books of the series. Didn't know which came first. lol

message 8: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (last edited May 25, 2010 05:07PM) (new)

QUESTIONS

Did the main characters make a good couple?
Do you like the plot?
What do you like about the ACRO world the most [in this book:]?
Do you think you would recommend this book to others?
Would you change anything?
Would you read other books/series by Sydney Croft?
Who are your favorite secondary characters?
Are you going to read the rest of the series?
How long did it take you to get into the book?

message 9: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (last edited May 23, 2010 08:55PM) (new)

I have about 70 pages left. I enjoyed this and will probably wait to collect the rest of the series before reading it. I have the Mammoth book of PNR [I think...its the Mammoth book Of Romance anyway, lol:]. So thanks for letting me know that story is in there.

KindleRomance Reviews Did the main characters make a good couple? Yes. They were both very lonely people who also got along quite well.

Do you like the plot? I thought it was a unique plot from what I’ve seen before. I liked the concept of controlling the weather. I also like books where people have different types of powers.

What do you like about the ACRO world the most [in this book:]? I liked the team interaction. I don’t like to think of people being alone in the world and thought it was nice that they had each other.

Do you think you would recommend this book to others? Yes.

Would you change anything? I would have had less characters introduced so thoroughly in the first book OR made it longer. They just didn’t spend enough time with the main characters getting to know each other. Instead, she made them very simplistic characters.

Would you read other books/series by Sydney Croft? Yes. I thought her style of writing flowed well. However, I think Larissa Ione’s world building was stronger in her Demonica series.

Who are your favorite secondary characters? Creed & Annika

Are you going to read the rest of the series? Yes!

How long did it take you to get into the book? Not long – especially since the characters got “together” in the first few pages!

message 11: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (last edited May 24, 2010 11:51AM) (new)

Kris: I agree with what you said. I don't always like the quickie hook-ups but I love how into they both were I guess. I think your right about character development too. If they'd have spent more time on either describing ACRO more or the characters I would have liked it more. But just liking the interaction between Halely and Remy wasn't enough to fully engage me in the book. I will however read the next book because the ACRO does sound interesting and I want to see who else they intro us to.

Did you review or rate the book?

KindleRomance Reviews I rated it 5 stars and wrote a short review. This is very typical of me. I let people like you and Auntee write the long, wonderfully detailed reviews. I just write enough to help me remember why I felt the way I did about a book. I'm also an easy reviewer. Good thing I'm not a teacher!

message 13: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Kris: Your funny!

message 14: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
I have been thinking of starting this series and was curious as to what other series does this one compare to?

KindleRomance Reviews I am having a hard time coming up with something similar which I think is a good thing. As far as the paranormal aspect, maybe the Drake Sisters by Christine Feehan. But the writing is her own style. From a different view, if you have to pay $10 for each book, I don't think they are worth it. If you can get them from PBS or on sale, then they are worth it.

message 16: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Cool thanks :) So many books.. so little time! lol