What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Time travel by means of adult toys -- short story (possibly NSFW)

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Okay. This is a weird one, but I promise, I am not having you on.

This was a short story in a collection of other short stories, probably of science fiction stories. I think it had a bright pink and yellow cover but I am not completely sure. I read it sometime between 2000 and 2002. The collection was probably published during the 90s. It may have had the word "future" in the title but I'm completely unsure on that point.

The short story in question involved the narrator somehow wiring a bunch of sex toys together, and then somehow while using them for the intended purpose traveling into the future. This was the intended effect -- it didn't take the narrator by surprise.

I think the narrator was female, but I may be wrong on that point.

Anyone have any ideas?

message 2: by Mir (new)

Mir | 712 comments I feel like I read some mention of this on the Smart Bitches website. I'm not digging through the archives, though.

message 3: by Snail in Danger (Sid) (last edited May 27, 2010 11:42AM) (new)

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Yeah ... I read this book long before Smart Bitches existed (2005, if their archives are a reliable guidepost). I did a quick search for "time travel" and none of the results looked promising.

Unless you mean that you saw it in a comment trail somewhere on there -- in which case, I'm not willing to trawl through those either. >.>

EDIT: thanks, though. :)

message 4: by Mir (new)

Mir | 712 comments I think it was actually a HABO -- i.e. the equivalent of this group = someone trying to recall a title.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Giving this a bump. Anyone have any ideas?

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Re-bumping. (This thread is starting to look like a very strange camel. ;)

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 48 comments You think the thread is weird...try googling to look for this book. Yipes.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments I have. :(

message 9: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments WOW! If anyone ever figures out the title of this short story, I will DEFINITELY read it!

message 10: by Snail in Danger (Sid) (last edited Feb 19, 2012 02:45PM) (new)

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments I really regret not knowing what it was.

It (the collection) might have had "queer" in the title. Or it might not have. It might have had a pink triangle on a yellow background. Or ... you guessed it, it might not have.

It might have been a same-sex story. Or it might not have! I do remember that the person wanted to travel in time to re-encounter a love interest.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Still slowly looking for this on my own ... but I am giving this a bump to see if anyone else has any ideas.

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Ewing (shanewing) | 9 comments Wow, no I don't think I've ever come across a time traveling machine consisting of vibrators and dildos. it sounds pretty fantastic tho!

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
I googled "time travel" and dildo and came up with this book: One More Time by Celia May Hart. A bag of sex toys is part of the description, and it does involve time travel, although it's not clear that the sex toys cause the time travel in the description.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Thanks, Shannon. I'll keep looking then I guess, although I definitely still want to read the anthology from your thread. :)

Kate, thanks, but I'm looking for a short story, and the publication date on that one is too late. I definitely appreciate the try.

message 15: by MJ (last edited Jul 08, 2012 06:45AM) (new)

MJ | 37 comments I haven't read it so I don't know if your short story is in here but when I googled "anthology sextoy machine timetravel" This one came up and from the description it sounds like it might be your book. Sex Toy Stories: Erotic Tales of Naughty Play

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments MJ, assuming the stories are all new, that's probably too, well, new, but I will look into it. Thank you!

Also, from what I remember, the story was definitely more SF than erotica, despite the nature of the time travel apparatus. I definitely appreciate everyone's help!

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Giving this a bump.

message 18: by Pghbekka (new)

Pghbekka | 35 comments Well, there's this: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12... from Circlet Press and other ones like it, but that might be too new. I remember there was some anthology I read (with a pink cover), that was called something like strange sex and was sci-fi/fantasy stories, but that's not too helpful.

You might wander the world of Cecilia Tan - http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/..., who's pretty prolific in the realm of erotic sci-fi/fantasy

message 19: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39606 comments Mod
Snail in Danger, are you still looking for this short story?

message 21: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Snail--if you bump your thread up periodically (like every couple of months) you'll have a better chance of getting it found.

message 22: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Jan 16, 2014 09:06AM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1779 comments Hmm, why don't you ask on the smart bitches website (in their HABO section?), if it indeed was mentioned on their site, then the readers of that site might be able to pull up where it was mentioned...

Also, a note, not all anthologies use new stories, so don't knock a more recent anthology - that still may be the story you're looking for - just packaged differently.

Also: Nicholas Day's "Necrosaurus Rex" - looks like it's time-travel to the past...

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Ann, if you look over the thread you'll notice that I've repeatedly bumped it in the past. RL has gotten busy and GR in general is a low priority, but I am still looking for this story. Thanks to those who have posted suggestions recently.

It was not a Regency or other historical; if anything it was in a futuristic setting. Also, the time travel that happened in the story was to the future.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Bump to see if anyone has any new suggestions.

message 25: by Scott (new)

Scott It could be "Time Travel for Pedestrians" by Ray Nelson, which appeared in Again, Dangerous Visions.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Hi folks, bumping this ancient thread to say that yes, I am still looking for this short story. I tried recently to google for possibilities and came up with a bunch of Best American Erotica anthologies edited by Susie Bright. They seem to have included some SF short stories, so who knows?

There are a lot of these anthologies, though, so going through them will probably take some time. (If anyone is familiar with them and can rule some or all volumes out as a possibility, great.) And other possibilities would be great, if anyone can think of any. (Probably not "Time Travel for Pedestrians," as the story I'm trying to find was more whimsical and upbeat than that one seems to be.)

message 27: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19602 comments Bending The Landscape: Science Fiction?

Were all the stories erotic in nature?

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments I want to say that they were not all erotic.

I don't know that this is what I'm looking for but I'll have a look at it anyway; it seems like the kind of thing I would be into. Thanks!

message 29: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19602 comments Still looking?

message 30: by Pghbekka (new)

Pghbekka | 35 comments In case you are still looking, another possibility (I feel like it's possible the edition I read had a bright pink cover) Alien Sex: 19 Tales by the Masters of Science Fiction and Dark Fantasy: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Bump, 'cause I'm here. Thanks to Rosa and Pghbekka. I don't think that's it but I'm checking it out from my library to see. (One of the reviews here on GR gives a one-line summary of each story and I don't think any of them is it but it can't hurt to check.)

message 33: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19602 comments Still looking, Sid?

Did you rule out Alien Sex?

message 34: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39606 comments Mod
Still looking now?