Every one's Choice discussion

Everything Else > A Good Idea...???

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 3116 comments Mod
I am a graduate student of LIbrary Science and have to write my thesis next semester and I still have no idea what I want to do it on. I was thinking about the effects of social networks on libraries. Places like Goodreads, Shelfari, and LibraryThing.

I find that I have never been to a library so much before I started Goodreads and think it may sound kinda fun.

Any other ideas???

message 2: by Karla (last edited May 20, 2010 07:58AM) (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 86 comments I feel the same Donna Goodreads has really turned reading into worldwide shareing of good books that have started friendships and had me reading books I would have never thought to pick up. I know I didn't read with this much fury or level of entertainment.
I am really interested on how the kindle and ereaders have taken out the little book stores in my town we used to have 4 stores here now we only have one nd it doubles as a video and game rental store! So I don't know if this is a thesis idea or not but I have been thinking about it. Anyways that means Amazon and me have become good buddies as well as Paperbackswap site. I just heard of Bookglutton.com yesterday as well.
Anyways good luck on your thesis! you'll have to post it so we can see what you came up with!

message 3: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Will do. My professor just said that I should to maybe a comparison on the 3 sites with the public library.

I was also thinking of the effects of E-books with libraries too so that may be another idea. I have the entire summer to try to come up wth something.

message 4: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 86 comments Ipod reading is becoming popular as well some libraries are offering free downloads to that version. I personally haven't tried it yet and I don't thing my city library is that up to speed or maybe not in a large enough location? To offer it yet.
I did find it hilarious that I heard my first radio add for a Robert Patterson novel on the radio the other day. All intensely described my son was laughing cause it sounded like a movie trailer.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Donna - I think that is a great idea for a thesis. I have to say, I agree with you. My local library has had a HUGE resurgence with my family due to sites like Goodreads. It has really helped me connect to others that like the same kind of books and has really gotten me back into reading.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

That sounds like a fun thesis!!! Although I was a bibliophile prior to GR, this site has undoubtedly affected my reading habits and opened me up to authors that I may have not discovered - at least not so soon.

message 7: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

THANKS GUYS!! If you have more ideas please share. It doesn't have to be about GR. I just want it to be about something I love and books are it!

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 300 comments Donna wrote: "I am a graduate student of LIbrary Science and have to write my thesis next semester and I still have no idea what I want to do it on. I was thinking about the effects of social networks on librari..."

Great, great idea, Donna! I got my Masters in Library Science a few years back, and would have really enjoyed doing a thesis on this subject. Mine was on boys and reading.

message 9: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I am having such major issues on making a decission! It is also so hard to narrow it down because you don't want it too broad.

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 300 comments Donna wrote: "I am having such major issues on making a decission! It is also so hard to narrow it down because you don't want it too broad."

Well, I need to go back and check on the exact title of mine, but it was narrowed down to high school boys and the English curriculum reading choices versus boys' own choices.