Genealogy, family, local and social history discussion

Genealogy - books, websites etc > What books, websites, resources etc have you found most useful - recommendations

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by GinBee (last edited May 24, 2010 01:51PM) (new)

GinBee (jennymbee) | 18 comments Mod
Books, websites and other resources you have found useful or invalueable in your research. What you would recommend to others.

If they are geographically specific say where they are most useful for. May people start of researching in one country and end up looking for ancestors in another!

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I recommend that if someone is looking in their geographic area to check with their State Archives. Also Ancestry.com you never know what you will find there. I also have an ancestor from New Zealand, but I am unable to find anything as I don't know mother's or father's name. Just keep looking in genealogy bank for old newspapers, I found things there. You have to first go broad and then narrow it down.

message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise (moultriecreek) | 4 comments Internet Archive is a great resource for old local and military histories. And, Google Books (can't remember it's new name) has lots of 19th century magazines with articles from many local areas. It's worth a search.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 2 comments Reading Family Life in 17th- And 18th-Century America right now and it has great facts about colonial life that I can work into my writings about my family history.