Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (general & ongoing) > The Nook from Barnes and Noble

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katherine (last edited May 19, 2010 12:13PM) (new)

Katherine (kebrand0112) Hello, I just bought a Nook and was wondering if anyone else had one. I know at least a few have the Kindle.

The Nook has a cool lending feature where you can lend certain e-books to other people with Nooks. All you need to know is the person's e-mail. If anyone has one and is interested in adding me as a friend on their Barnes and Noble account so we can trade books, please let me know. I am just starting to build my library, so will only have a few book for a while, but will be adding more in the coming month or two.

message 2: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 62 comments I also have a nook. I haven built my library as quickly as I thought since I still have plenty of books to read on my bookshelf. Message me if you want to "Nook up" :)

I also found a goup on here called Barnes & Noble Nook. I know there are members there who have mentioned creating a lending circle.

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine (cdunbar) | 635 comments Do Nooks allow for pdf files? I'm trying to decide between buying a Nook, a Kindle or a Sony E-Reader and the deciding factor will be which one is easiest to use with pdf files.

message 4: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) | 0 comments Katherine wrote: "The Nook has a cool lending feature where you can lend certain e-books to other people with Nooks. All you need to know is the person's e-mail. If anyone has one and is interested in adding me as a friend on their Barnes and Noble account so we can trade books, please let me know. I am just starting to build my library, so will only have a few book for a while, but will be adding more in the coming month or two...."

I don't have a nook as I have a Kindle and love it. I did however do a lot of looking onto the Nook when it came out to compare it to the Kindle and I played with it for over an hour at the book stoe. Sadly, I knoew more about it never ha ving touched the Nook before, than the sales person did.

One thing you need to be aware of about lending books. BN is a bit misleading on that. You can only lend a book ONE time and only for two weeks. Once you lend it out once, you can never lend it again.

And you can only lend the book if the publisher allows it. It's like the whole text to speech thing. The publishers have the final say on that and if they don't want it, that feature is shut off on your book.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) I too have a Nook. Just got it about 10 days ago. So far I'm loving it. Er, I've gone a little crazy with it--but B&N has a whole section of freebie books. I went through it and think I downloaded about 20 books from it. Then I checked out all the under $5 books and bought about another 10. Then. . . Er, anyway--I now have about 400 books on my Nook.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 367 comments Christine wrote: "Do Nooks allow for pdf files? I'm trying to decide between buying a Nook, a Kindle or a Sony E-Reader and the deciding factor will be which one is easiest to use with pdf files."

I can only speak for the Sony and the Kindle. The Sony accepts PDF and is super easy to use. I have one, and I love it. I haven't had any trouble getting EPUB and PDF files to transfer to my device.

With the Kindle, you have to send the PDF file to Amazon and pay them to convert it to a format the Kindle can use. Last I looked, it was 10 cents per conversion.

The library where I work just bought a Nook to use as staff training for our new downloadable eBooks. I have played with it long enough to figure out how it works, but I don't know much about accepted file formats. I had assumed that it uses PDF files, too.

The staff favorite so far between the Sony reader and the Nook has been the Sony. Everybody agrees it's easy to use, and they like the screen and button layout (on the Pocket Edition).

Just my 2 cents for ya, Christine!

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine (cdunbar) | 635 comments Thanks, Sarah! That helps out a ton. :)

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 367 comments Riya wrote: "I have the Kindle and it doesn't cost anything to get the PDF converted unless you send it wireless. If you send it connected to the computer, it's free!"

Hmmm. Thanks, Riya. I didn't get that out of the literature I read. Now I can pass that info along too. (Cause I get asked a ton at work.)

message 9: by Gigi (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments Sarah ~Sehrenity~ wrote: "Christine wrote: "Do Nooks allow for pdf files? I'm trying to decide between buying a Nook, a Kindle or a Sony E-Reader and the deciding factor will be which one is easiest to use with pdf files."
..."

What about the Sony e-reader with respect to lending? Are there any limits? Can you borrow library books, etc.?

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 367 comments With the Sony, I can borrow books from my library, but I don't think I can lend what I own. I checked the Help menu in my Sony software, and there is no set of instructions for loaning out books you own. I think you can borrow as many items as your library/lending service allows. When the borrowed book's due date is up, the book locks on the reader and you can't read past that date. You have to delete it from the device.

message 11: by Kelley (last edited May 23, 2010 09:43PM) (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) | 0 comments presently, the nook is the only one that has the lending to friends option. but like I said before, you can only lend a book ONE time and never again. And you can only lend if the publisher allows it. Not sure how many publishers like that or dont though so no idea how many books have the lend feature.

I'm waiting for the new Kobo reader from Borders to try it out. I love my kindle but I'm curious about the kobo

message 12: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) | 0 comments I like that it's a lot cheaper but don't like that it has no wireless feature to buy from the reader. it truly is a dedicated reader I think.