You Debate, We De Sharks discussion

Religion > Islam

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

hey, Im a muslim. There is a lot of confusion in the world today about Islam. So I just wanted to talk about it. Answer questions. posts videos and stuff.

message 2: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments well i am accepting of most religions so good for you i guess. There is controversy that Obama is Muslim though.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

no, he is not. He has the name hussain in his name, which is a muslim name, which comes from a member of his family. Though he is not a muslim himself.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

:)

message 5: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments :)

message 6: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (Jamie1Elizabeth) Yes yes...:D

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

message 8: by Clarence :P (new)

Clarence :P I think that Islamic culture is beautiful.
Although I am catholic myself.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments uNiKue, what is your opinion on hijab? Do you think it's necessary, or that it's a personal choice, or both?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Well I think it is both. I wear one personally. I feel modest and I feel that I do have more have self-respect. I have more confidence in myself as I dont have to worry about how I look to guys and how I fit in fashionably. People judge are able to judge me by my actions and who I am, and not just my beauty( if that makes sense.) Muslim women only cover themselves in front of men who are not direct relatives (brothers, fathers, and uncles) to prevent indecent acts or thoughts. Some may say that a woman covering herself up is sexist, but its not. In fact its kind of the opposite. A woman is able to be who she is, and not be evaluted on how good her body looks. Women are not objects, they have brains. but that doesn't mean that muslim women all have horrible hair- they still have it pretty, but not to show off in front of men.
I think a muslim woman should wear a hijab for her own benefit, but if a woman does not want to wear one its her own choice- you shouldn't force her.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Clarest of them all! wrote: "I think that Islamic culture is beautiful.
Although I am catholic myself."

Thats really cool :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

right. I mean sometimes if I go out I might get weird looks, but I don't mind. If I believe in something I like to stand up for it. My non-muslims friends are supportive, and love the asian culture. I always put henna/mendhi on them- infact I did like about 18 people today in school. And they like the long clothes because they say they look really "pretty" lol. I have got long black thick hair and my friends love it, but they understand that I wear a scarf and are cool with it.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

yea I get what you mean, but dont be brought down when people give you funny looks. Just remind yourself why you wear a scarf and be proud of you indentity as a muslim.

I love henna. Last year I started practising on myself and I was pretty good. Now ive kinda started my own business- though im only 12.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I've always been creative. I just love art. Hey maybe you could get a henna cone and just try it out a few times. When ( i mean if :)) I upload my henna pictures shall I send a few to you?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

no problem :) but i think your gonna have to wait a while :) so what you up to?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

awww, i hope you get well soon!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I should be revising!

message 18: by Clarence :P (new)

Clarence :P uNiKue wrote: "Well I think it is both. I wear one personally. I feel modest and I feel that I do have more have self-respect. I have more confidence in myself as I dont have to worry about how I look to guys an..."

That's really awesome.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

=) thanks

message 20: by Clarence :P (new)

Clarence :P I read a book called "Does My Head Look Big In This", and it was soooo good!!

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments uNiKue wrote: "Well I think it is both. I wear one personally. I feel modest and I feel that I do have more have self-respect. I have more confidence in myself as I dont have to worry about how I look to guys an..."

Cool. I remember a few of the Muslim girls at my school were talking to my class about the hijab. One of them wore it, and the other didn't, and they both said that their choice was what they felt was right. I found it really interesting how people's views differ within a religion. :)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments Clarest of them all! wrote: "I read a book called "Does My Head Look Big In This", and it was soooo good!!"

I wanna read that. :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoyed that book. My teacher, and my class, recommended it. I loved it. I then read "ten things i hate about me" which was interesting aswell.

message 24: by Clarence :P (new)

Clarence :P I just finsihed "Where the Streets Had a Name" which wasn't as good, but was still interesting.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read that one yet. Did you enjoy it?

((hey people we dont want this topic dying, anyone got any questions, comments, wants to debate?))

message 26: by Clarence :P (last edited May 21, 2010 04:55PM) (new)

Clarence :P Yes... although it was set in 2004 and in the Holy Land. Right when the wars were kind of starting...
I liked "DMHLBIT" because it was about a pestnet-day girl facing real-life teenage problems. I didn't feel like I could connect with this one s well.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments uNiKue wrote: "I haven't read that one yet. Did you enjoy it?

((hey people we dont want this topic dying, anyone got any questions, comments, wants to debate?))"

This is another opinion question: what's your opinion on the whole Israel/Palestine issue?

What are some Muslim holidays?

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

The wars have actually been going on for longer than that, it just never recieved media attention. :)

and yep. I get up early every morning and pray. It actually feels cool. I dunno, because you get up wash and then have some time alone with God (Allah) If you get what I mean. And it feels familish the way we all get up together, and everyone's lamps are on. You do feel tired, sometimes, but that dosen't matter because it feels like you're following a commitement to God. And then you can hear birds chirping and its really cute. I then go back to bed and get up later. =)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "uNiKue wrote: "I haven't read that one yet. Did you enjoy it?

((hey people we dont want this topic dying, anyone got any questions, comments, wants to debate?))"

This is another opinion qu..."

Elaborate more on what you want my opinion on, from the israel/Palestinian issue. please. =)

Muslim holidays:

well the Muslim calander is different, it follows the moon, as does the Judaism calander. The Christian calander used to too, once upon a time, until the Roman emperor Constantine and the council of nicea changed it to following the sun (he was a sun god worshiper.)
The main ones are the two festivals. Eid Al- Adha - which is the celebration once Hajj(muslim pilgrimige) has finsihed, and its like related to the story of Ibrahim as (Abraham) and his son.
Eid ul- fitr is the festival after ramadhan has ended,
they are both really fun :)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments Cool, thanks! Is that why when Ramadhan starts is always different based on the stardard calendar?

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

yea :)

message 32: by Tsuki (new)

Tsuki I have a lot of muslim friends, and after 9-11 I got a lot of weird looks from people. I think it is horrible how when one group of extremists do something inhuman people generalize anyone with that ethnicity into the same low life group. Just because you are from the middle east or a part of the Islamic faith does not mean you are a terrorist. It's as if people needed a scape goat, and thought it would be perfectly fine hating an innocent peoples.

message 33: by Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (last edited May 23, 2010 07:16AM) (new)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments It's not so much that people need a scapegoat. They're scared. I'm sure some people are just looking for an excuse to hate people who are different, but most of the people I know who stereotype Muslims do so out of fear and lack of understanding, not out of hate.

People needing a scapegoat was how the Holocaust was. People wanted to blame someone, so they chose the group that always got the blame: the Jews.

Fear of Muslims is more like the American attitude to Japanese-Americans during World War II. The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, showing that there were some Japanese who had the desire and ability to attack America. People panicked, and began to fear all Japanese-Americans.

However, fear can quickly turn to hate.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

very quickly

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

but i still think people shouldn't stereotype so easily

message 36: by Clarence :P (new)

Clarence :P Yes, indeed.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

message 38: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay I have a Muslim-ish friend. Her dad is Muslim, and she kind of is, but she doesn't know much about the religion. That's kinda what I want to know. What do you believe? I don't know much about your beliefs, and I think it'd be good to learn about them. :D

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Well we basicly believe in one God. and we believe in angels and the prophets and the holy books. our holy book is the quran, which was revealed to the last prophet Muhammad (pbuh)
its kinda hard to like sum up my religion. its more a way of life, than just a religion. it'd be much easier it you could ask specific questions. and its cool that u wanna learn about other religions. :)

message 40: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Yeah, I know what you mean. It's hard to tell someone about all you believe in one question. So, how did the quran get revealed to Muhammad? And is there anything you believe in that is the same as the Christians' beliefs?

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Basiclly over a basis of about 23yrs God kept on sending Angel Gibrail (gabriel) to the prophet Muhammed (pbuh) and it all got recorded. It hasnt been changed or altered to this day.

yes. We believe in Abraham, Moses, Jesus- but our stories are kinda different. we also believe in angels, the after life, Adam and Eve, the devil etc...

message 42: by Clarence :P (new)

Clarence :P Yeah, I've heard that Muslim is a lot like catholisism.

message 43: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay That's cool.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Clarest of them all! wrote: "Yeah, I've heard that Muslim is a lot like catholisism."

not really....
where did you hear about that?

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Clarest of them all! wrote: "Yeah, I've heard that Muslim is a lot like catholisism."

muslim?
u mean islam

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments Well, they're more similar than most people would suspect, mainly because they're both Abrahamic religions.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

yea, but why just "catholosism" why not christianity?
- and Judaism. Islam, Judiasm and Christainity have a lot of things in common

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments I believe the person who posted that is Catholic, so Catholicism would have been the most personal comparison to her.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

kk :)

message 50: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments uNiKue wrote: "yea, but why just "catholosism" why not christianity?
- and Judaism. Islam, Judiasm and Christainity have a lot of things in common"

Abrahamhic religions.

« previous 1