The Complete Idiots Guide to the Ultimate Reading List discussion

Chapter 5: Suspense > The Killing Floor - book club selection may contain spoilers

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Really huge Lee Child fan here, I just love his books. I read this one a long time ago but I know it was good. I wish he would write faster!! If you haven't read any of his books you should try one, Killing Floor, the Visitor or Bad Luck and Trouble would be the place to start, they're three I can think of that I loved. His latest, Nothing to Lose, is good but not the best and not as page turny as his previous books.

message 2: by Sunflower (last edited May 09, 2010 04:23AM) (new)

Sunflower | 33 comments "Page turny" indeed, Mandy, I'm borrowing your words. If you like impossibly powerful and clever heroes, gratuitous violence (oh come on, it was, really- the guy must be a sociopath even if he was the hero),and a plot with a few twists, this is the series to start. I appreciated Child treating the reader as if she had a modicum of intelligence (I do hate authors that labour explanations within the story by having one character explain stuff to another long after we got it already), and the pacing is good. I did pick some of the twists before they happened, but perhaps that was a deliberate ploy to involve the reader. I don't know. Either way, it was a good aeroplane book, and I won't be averse to reading the next one in the series some time.

message 3: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) I've read the first 5 or so in this series, and I thought they were excellent!

Reminded me a bit of the "Hulk" tv series in the 70/80s - not the turning green and ripping his clothes part, but the drifter moving from place to place with few possessions or clothes, and saving the day/innocent each place he goes. Then he moves on...