The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 0.0 Fit This Book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 136 (136 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Have a book and don't know what tasks it'll fit under? Ask here.

message 2: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments I know some of you guys are awesome at this. I need help fitting Sookie Stackhouse series into the challenge. I want to fit as many of them as I can because they are great beach reads I think! (Or at least the first however-many :) Thanks!!

message 3: by Terri (last edited May 19, 2010 08:22AM) (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments A beach is a public place, so you could use one for task 5.9

If you're looking forward to seeing Eclipse this summer, you could use one for 5.2

I'm not sure when they were published, but you could probably fit one in to Donna Jo's task (25.9)

One of them might be Charlaine Harris's second longest book? (15.6b)

Check if anyone is online and currently reading one! (keep checking - it changes quickly!) (10.3)

message 4: by Donna Jo (last edited May 19, 2010 08:41AM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Erin, You could fit several of them into my task 25.9C, as long as they were published in last 5 years 2006-2010. Or if you re-read one you could use it for 5.10.

message 5: by Cassandra (last edited May 19, 2010 08:41AM) (new)

Cassandra 5.4- Dead Until Dark (Anthony Award for Best Paperback Original), Dead and Gone (Goodreads Choice Award for Fantasy)
5.5- Charlaine Harris is mentioned on the list.
5.6- Living Dead in Dallas? I'm not sure though.
10.4- You'd need to roll 351-177.
10.6- The vampires face discrimination.
10.10- You can probably fit one here too, you'd just have to check a lot of people.
15.3- You can probably find a good blog that reviews one of her books.
15.4- Charlaine Harris is a 9.
15.6- Definitely Dead (I think)
15.9- Are you Dead to the World?
15.10- Dead in the Family

message 6: by Dionisia (last edited May 19, 2010 09:03AM) (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments 1. Dead Until Dark: 5.4 (Anthony Award for Best Paperback Original-2002), 5.9, 10.3
2. Living Dead in Dallas: 5.9
3. Club Dead: 5.2, 5.9
4. Dead to the World: 5.2, 5.9
5. Dead as a Doornail: 5.2, 5.9, 25.9 (Tankini)
6. Definitely Dead: 5.2, 5.9, 15.6C, 25.9 (Tankini)
7. All Together Dead: 5.2, 5.9, 25.9 (Tankini)
8. From Dead to Worse: 5.2, 5.9, 25.9 (Tankini)
9. Dead and Gone: 5.2, 5.9, 25.9 (Tankini)
10. A Touch of Dead: 5.2, 5.9, 25.9 (Tankini)
11. Dead in the Family: 5.2, 5.9, 10.3, 15.10, 25.9 (Tankini)

Have you read and loved any of the above? Then you can re-read one for task 5.10. You also might get lucky with task #10.4 Roll the Dice.

#15.4 Charlaine Harris is: 9
The characteristics of #9 are: Humanitarian, giving nature, selflessness, obligations, creative expression.

message 7: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Erin, You could fit several of them into my task 25.9C, as long as they were published in last 5 years 2006-2010."

3-10 were published 2006 on :) I can fit about 3 there! 15.6b I already have filled up with a book I really want to read! And not particularly looking forward to eclipse... :-/ And 1 of them I can read in public.... Hmmm need at least 1 more spot!

message 8: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Thank you so much everyone!!! :)

message 9: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17940 comments Mod
And there are still 11 tasks pending and at least 10 people are in striking distance on the Readerboard

message 10: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Anyone know where I could fit: The Master or Robinson Crusoe?

Elizabeth (Alaska) Jennifer N. wrote: "Anyone know where I could fit: The Master or Robinson Crusoe?"

The Master has won several prizes, some of them rather obscure, so it could fit on 5.4. As for Robinson Crusoe, what was your dice roll?

message 12: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments The Master has boats on the cover so it would fit task task #5.7.

message 13: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Jennifer N. wrote: "Anyone know where I could fit: The Master or Robinson Crusoe?"

The Master has won several prizes, some of them rather obscure, so it could fit on 5.4..."

Elizabeth (Alaska) Oh - Robinson Crusoe has a beach scene on the cover, so it would fit 10.5.

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Erin wrote: "Thank you so much everyone!!! :)"

Cannot reveal my task yet, but it's open enough that I am 99% sure you could fit some Sookie books in there!!!

message 16: by Petra (new)

Petra Anyone have any ideas where I could fit this book in: The Journal of Mrs Pepys: Portrait of a Marriage by Sara George? I could read it outside but it'll be a Library book and, what with work and Life, I don't think I'll have the time to read it entirely in a public place. So, I'm looking for a more "relaxed" task.

Where I can't put it:
Roll of the Dice - I rolled 355. This book is 340 pages.
Numerology - Sara George is a 6; I'm a 7.

...check this out: I'm the only person on Goodreads who lists this book on one of their shelves! Got a chuckle out of that.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Have you read this author before? If not, you say it's a library book, so you've borrowed it. In that case it would work for half of the Wedding Task, 15.1 (new, borrowed). All you would need to do is find an old, blue book for the other half.

message 18: by Petra (new)

Petra Doh! Thank you, Elizabeth! I'll slip it in there. I'll have to go see which books I've got in there now. With luck, I already have an old, blue book but, if not, I'll find one.
Thanks!

message 19: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments I am looking to fit in The Enchantress of Florence: A Novel. I am an 8 he is not so won't work for numerology. I own the book and it is orange and yellow so won't work for wedding task. I rolled a 513 and the book is only 349 pages. Any other suggestions? Thanks!!

message 20: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Stephanie wrote: "I am looking to fit in The Enchantress of Florence: A Novel. I am an 8 he is not so won't work for numerology. I own the book and it is orange and yellow so won't work for wedding ta..."

You could read it in a public place or use it for Donna Jo's task if you choose the Tankini option (850 pages worth of books written in the last 5 years).

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16262 comments Mod
Stephanie wrote: "I am looking to fit in The Enchantress of Florence: A Novel. I am an 8 he is not so won't work for numerology. I own the book and it is orange and yellow so won't work for wedding ta..."

how about the second part of the numerology task? I'm not familiar with the book but from the description, sounds like it might work with "power seeking," one of the descriptions given for 8.

message 22: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments Thanks Sandy I was not thinking of part B of the numerology task. I think that I will put it there.

message 23: by Petra (last edited May 20, 2010 04:38PM) (new)

Petra Could anyone tell me the setting (State) of This Is Where I Leave You? I'd like to know if it would fit Part B of Task 15.2 (set in one of the original States).
I asked in that thread as well and thought there might be some extra visibility here.

message 24: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Petra - No idea. And I've gone through a couple of web searches to peek at reviews for any mention of the setting. The most I get out of it is middle-class America which could be anywhere.

message 25: by Petra (new)

Petra Thanks, Tanja. Cait found a review that stated that the main character lived in "the suburbs of New York". Cynthia has approved this book for the Task.
Yay! Gotta love how everyone helps each other around here. I searched reviews and didn't come up with anything myself.

message 26: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments Any ideas for where to put The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall?

My number is 8, so it won't fit for the numerology challenge.....

message 27: by Liz (last edited May 27, 2010 04:08PM) (new)

Liz I'm trying to figure out where to fit The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (other than in 10.4 or 25.9). Any suggestions?

UPDATE:
Nevermind - I found a place for it!

message 28: by Iamthez (new)

Iamthez | 54 comments I really want to fit Breathers: A Zombie's Lament, somewhere other than 25.9. Any suggestions would be awesome!

message 29: by Angie (last edited May 27, 2010 03:39PM) (new)

message 30: by Petra (new)

Petra Angie wrote: "Cutting for Stone? or
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie??"

Angie, I remember seeing a few people reading Sweetness At The Bottom of The Pie when I checked for Task 10.3 (same place, same time). You might want to try to see if you can find anyone reading either of these books.

If you get the right dice roll, you could use one for Task 10.4 or check out the requirements for Task 10.10. You might luck out.
Or, how about Part A of Task 25.10 (Let's play the name game)?

message 31: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Iamthez wrote: "I really want to fit Breathers: A Zombie's Lament, somewhere other than 25.9. Any suggestions would be awesome!"

It's been featured on these blogs:
http://zedwordblog.blogspot.com/2010/...
http://readinginappalachia.blogspot.c...

You could use it for 15.3.

message 33: by Bluemoon (last edited May 27, 2010 04:38PM) (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments Angie wrote: "Cutting for Stone? or

Most of Cutting for Stone takes place in India so you could use it for 15.7.

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie I believe is mentioned in Shannon's children's task also.

message 34: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments I'm trying to fit Lady of Quality by Georgette Heyer. I'm a 4, she is not, and I'd like to leave the swimsuit and open-ended tasks for last - any ideas?

message 35: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 143 comments Stephanie wrote: "Angie wrote: "Cutting for Stone? or

Most of Cutting for Stone takes place in India so you could use it for..."

Actually, almost none of Cutting For Stone takes place in India, however, some of the main characters are Indian. So I don't know if it would work for 15.7. It takes place in Ethiopia and in the U.S.

message 36: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Hey guys, I was following up on a post from another thread, and found these authors - Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone. Used and Rare: Travels in the Book World. These authors are a treasure trove for this challenge!!!
They fit about 4 tasks - they both write fiction and non-fiction. Some of Mr. Goldstone's books appear to be medical mysteries or medical thrillers, although set in the past. They have the same last name (obviously, or maybe not obviously), and for me they are collectors which is a passion. I didn't even look at the titles or covers. People who are stuck on a task might find something with them.

message 37: by Iamthez (new)

Iamthez | 54 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote:
It's been featured on these blogs:
http://zedwordblo..."

Thanks so much! That really helps :)

message 38: by Petra (last edited May 28, 2010 08:00AM) (new)

Petra Cindy, thanks! That helped a lot. I moved The Anatomy of Deception to this task. Now to find another book for the Dice Roll task......

message 39: by Caz (new)

Caz | 29 comments Suggestions for Specials Extras Plain Truth and Twenties Girl, please.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Plain Truth takes place in Pennsylvania and could be used for the Stripes portion of 15.2

message 41: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2123 comments I'm looking for a place for Bridge of Birds: A Novel of an Ancient China That Never Was. I keep trying to fit it into 25.4B but without success (that's the one where you find the word "Bridge" or "Birds" on page 31 of a novel written by an author born in the Zodiac sign of Cancer). Any suggestions?

message 42: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 128 comments Where can I put The Glass Castle? I've been dying to read it!

message 43: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments If your edition has the white cover, you could use it for 25.1B.

message 44: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Deedee wrote: "I'm looking for a place for Bridge of Birds: A Novel of an Ancient China That Never Was. I keep trying to fit it into 25.4B but without success (that's the one where you find the word..."

25.3: Have you been to China, if not do you want to go?

message 45: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 128 comments Ahh thanks Donna Jo!

message 46: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Bridge of Birds is a fun book, I enjoyed it.

message 47: by Caz (new)

Caz | 29 comments Still looking for suggestions for Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella? x

message 48: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) Caz wrote: "Still looking for suggestions for Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella? x"

Could you fit it in Helen's "Genre" task? I would consider it "Chick Lit".

Hope this helps.

message 49: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Caz wrote: "Still looking for suggestions for Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella? x"

You could use it for 15.3 -- books & blogs. It's been reviewed on these blogs:
http://marjoleinbookblog.blogspot.com...
http://www.somekindoffabulous.co.uk/2...
http://www.book-reporters.com/?p=199

Hope that helps...

message 50: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Anyone know where I could fit Silent Witness?

Thanks!

« previous 1 3