The Office breakroom discussion

desert island--"the Fire"

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Jackie | 24 comments Mod
I posted a version of this in a forum discussing Jodi Piccoult (I am not fond of this author!)--which gave me the idea for this group:

You will remember the episode ("The Fire") in which the characters play "desert island" and list the 5 movies they'd take with them, etc. etc. When Meredith (?) includes, "Legally Blond" Jim and Pam mock this choice privately (in a "Talking Head") because it's not quite the soul-sustaining status that they were looking for.

You may also recall that the punchline is that later, Katy, unknowingly also names, "Legally Blond" in her top 5.

The point is, there is nothing wrong with "Legally Blond"--in fact you could argue that it is a clever and fun movie that leaves you smiling. It may even attempt to overturn stereotypes and expose "blond jokes" as prejudice. However, there's something that connects the people who like this movie and the people who enjoy Piccoult, in my opinion. I'm not sure if I'm articulating it clearly here though.

And, I will acknowledge, there may even be a subset of people who enjoy "Legally Blond" who have never read Piccoult--so my comments are rendered rambling and inarticulate. Sue me!

message 2: by Ellis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Ellis | 1 comments I totally get what you're saying. I'll admit it--I'm a book snob. When I find out someone is a reader and I ask them what they like to read and they respond "romance novels" or "Danielle Steele" or something of that nature, I cringe inside and automatically file them under "not a reader" in my mind. Isn't that horrible?

And yet...

I've now read two novels by Jodi Picoult (when no one was looking) and have enjoyed both of them. (Nineteen Minutes and My Sister's Keeper). Hers is not the makings of great literature and yet I found both stories poignant and well written.

And I like "Legally Blonde"... Is there a connection? Have I just put myself into the Danielle Steel category by reading Jodi? God, I hope not.

message 3: by Jackie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Jackie | 24 comments Mod
I guess my aversion to Jodi Piccoult is not so much that I feel that I'm at all "above her"--but I have just so despised the characters. I feel this was her intention--so in that way I feel manipulated.

I will give you this--her books are definitely compelling--I'm not sure if I'd go as far as "riveting" since I've wanted to flee from the characters, rather than be bolted down to the page and spend more time with them. I also seriously had urges to strangle one or two of them--The Pact, is the book I'm referring to mostly. Sounds like you haven't read this one. It's the real source of my passionate dislike. (c;