Shiver Roleplay discussion

Books about places you went to/want to see

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by melbourne (new)

melbourne (cocho) it's that crusty stuff that somehow makes its way into your belly button... i imagine it's lint or other non-biological material... all i know is that its smell is horrendous and can, at times, provoke momentary but lengthy itching... hate that, really...

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) Dude, I don’t know if you heard about this… but if you bathe properly it won’t happened to you…

message 3: by Abbeville (new)

Abbeville Press (abbevillepress) Hey,
Let's share any books that showcase a location you visited/want to visit!

With the growing hype and appreciation about India, we've embarked on expanding our literature on India. India: Journey Through the Heart of the Continent is one of our photography books showcasing India from 1965 to 2001.

Soon to come are Wonders of the Indian Wilderness, Daughters of India, and India Exposed, all of which show through photographs and rich text the culture and life of India.

message 4: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) What, have you got a navel the size of a manhole cover? Sheesh!

message 5: by Sally (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) Why smell it at all?

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) Now there is a question that only a chick would ask… chicks make me feel like a monkey sometimes…

message 7: by Sally (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) What else do you smell, monkey-man? Do all fluids emitted...er, I think I know the answer.

message 8: by melbourne (new)

melbourne (cocho) sorry for mentioning... geez... alfonso, maybe you are a monkey... I on the other hand am a guy, so don't call me chick, monkey.... also I don't know too many ladies who like being called 'chick' either...

message 9: by melbourne (new)

melbourne (cocho) duly noted... wasn't clear.. alfonso... you are not a monkey

message 10: by Sally (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) And I'm fine with being called a chick. But I didn't mean to call you a monkey, Mel. Sorry about that. I was flinging that poo at Alfonso but he ducked!

message 11: by melbourne (last edited Jun 05, 2008 05:10PM) (new)

melbourne (cocho) Gus: actually, it's much bigger than that. Sometimes i just lay on the ground and when I'm lucky people drop loose change in it without even knowing... strange innit?

message 12: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Sounds like a nice living you can make, just laying there and collecting the loose change that's dropped into your navel.

message 13: by Anne (new)

Anne (awarf) Great idea! I have to think about books that highlight places I have actually visited. I have not visited India, but one book came instantly to mind with respect to India...

The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century

This may not be what you initially had in mind. I have to admit, business books are not at the top of my list of casual reading, but this is actuallly kind of an interesting book. It talks a lot about India, and how the country is influencing the U.S. and the world economy more and more. I was especially interested in the book's discussion about outsourcing jobs to India... I was surprised at the types of jobs being outsourced... not just the jobs, like those you might think of... the help lines for Dell... some that you might be surprised to learn about, like in the medical industry. If you really want to understand something about the culture in India, I think this book may help. Anne

message 14: by melbourne (new)

melbourne (cocho) indeed... though it's more like a second job than anything... i might even call it a hobby cos it's not really like work at all...

Servius  Heiner The great thing about that job is, the more you just lay there and eat the bigger your gut gets, the more money it can hold. Eating morphs from comfort food to investment food. Brilliant.

message 16: by Carlie (new)

Carlie Your navel lint should not smell and should not be very crusty. You may have an infection instead. Please see your physician.

message 17: by Alen (new)

Alen (caffeinatedeyes) is it crusty or crispy like fried wonton?

message 18: by Carlie (new)

Carlie lint should be soft and feathery

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) I hate that I have to read "navel crust" everytime I scroll down.

message 20: by melbourne (new)

melbourne (cocho) i use crust rather loosely... the by-product, since it is lint or some kind of clothing material, is actually soft... i just like the connotative effect of crust... notice the various interpretations...

message 21: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I believe Papa Johns is coming out with a new Navel Crust pizza.

message 22: by Anne (new)

Anne (awarf) I have visited Hawaii. A few books that highlight the islands I visited, include:

"Hawaii", by James Michener and "Shark Dialogues", by Kiana Davenport... It has been a long time since I read "Hawaii", but I recall that it did a great job of describing Maui, especially the area near Lahaina. The setting was at the time when the islands were being discovered by missionaries and whalers. The descriptions of the missionaries and whalers were not at all flattering; the description of the island itself sounded true to the Maui I remembered.... "Shark Dialogues" is set mostly on the Big Island and Oahu. Other than the airport, I have not been to Oahu, but descriptions of the Big Island seemed pretty accurate.

Two more books about Hawaii worth mentioning are "The Colony" and "Molokai". Both are about the leper colony. I did not spend any time on Molokai, but we did take a helecoptor flight over the island, including the site of the leper colony. Basic descriptions of the island landscape seemed pretty accurate, at least from what I could see from flying over.

message 23: by melbourne (new)

melbourne (cocho) gus, I can't wait!!!!

message 24: by Alen (new)

Alen (caffeinatedeyes) crusty fried wonton pizza?

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) Navel crust chocolate cheesecake!

message 26: by Alen (new)

Alen (caffeinatedeyes) Ben & Jerry's chunky crust? I will take that. 2 for $5.00 with your bonus card

message 27: by melbourne (new)

melbourne (cocho) word booty!

message 28: by Abbeville (new)

Abbeville Press (abbevillepress) This may not be directly related to visiting Hawaii, but an interesting book that's out there is The Hawaiian Shirt: Its Art and History. For those into fashion trends and just the Hawaii culture in general, the book can definitely whisk you away all the same.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Some of us in the SDMB group are trying to read a book by an author from every country in the world. Several people have posted links to lists of what they've read or what they've identified to read from each country. If you're looking for books related to some of the places you've visited (or might want to visit), you might want to check it out.

message 30: by Babette (new)

Babette If you like mysteries, the series by Cara Black set in Paris provides a view of the real city, a city of neighborhoods and varied cultures - not the Paris of monuments, museums and tourists.

message 31: by Babette (new)

Babette The Alexandria Quartet, which I need to read again, gives a glimpse into the Egypt of an earlier time.

The mystery series by Sujata Massey provides an interesting look at present-day Japan.