The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

143 views
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 5.9 - Get Caught Reading

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 5.9 - Get Caught Reading
There is an age old saying...If a tree falls in the woods, and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound? Likewise if a person reads a book and no one is there to see them...did the book ever get read? For this task you must read a book of at least 100 pages in public...at a park, or the beach, or on a plane, or a bus, or at a library...any public place will do.

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task post them here.


message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim DeCina (ladyindigo) | 45 comments Does the entire book have to be read in public? Or just part of it or a certain number of pages? Can this cross over with any other book we're reading? :)


message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Kim wrote: "Does the entire book have to be read in public? Or just part of it or a certain number of pages? Can this cross over with any other book we're reading? :)"

The whole book and no.


message 4: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments Where I work we have a communal lunch room and I am always reading on lunch. Is this public enough?


message 5: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Stephanie wrote: "Where I work we have a communal lunch room and I am always reading on lunch. Is this public enough?"

Thats fine.


message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyreece) | 15 comments Can I sit on my front porch? It's on a very busy street.


message 7: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Lulu wrote: "Can I sit on my front porch? It's on a very busy street."

I was thinking a more public place because we've already done a task that was just read a book outside.


message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason | 61 comments I am currently home-locked due to a recent injury and wont be able to get out in public during this challenge. Any alternatives to this task? I have lots of people in my house, can I make them watch me read?


message 9: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Jason wrote: "I am currently home-locked due to a recent injury and wont be able to get out in public during this challenge. Any alternatives to this task? I have lots of people in my house, can I make them watc..."

I will make an exception is this case - yes that would work.


message 10: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments Sorry your house bound Jason!! I can't imagine my husbands reaction if I told him he had to watch me read. Hope you are well soon!!


message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason | 61 comments Cynthia wrote: "I will make an exception is this case - yes that would work."

Thank you.

Stephanie wrote: "Sorry your house bound Jason!! I can't imagine my husbands reaction if I told him he had to watch me read. Hope you are well soon!!"

Thank you. I have a desktop computer in my room which is the only one downstairs, so it is often being used by family that are too lazy to go upstairs to use their own. Or I could just make that a punishment for my daughter when she misbehaves. Cruel but effective. :)


message 12: by Carma (new)

Carma | 28 comments I listen to books on my computer while at work. Even though it isn't an actual book, does that work?
Before you answer, here is a funny story about my listening to a book while working on a project. I was listening to Jane Eyre. My assistant VP walked by and asked what I was listening to. "Jane Eyre". He got a bit confused and said, "Hmm, never have heard of her. What does she sing?" (Added bonus, he was an English minor.)


message 13: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Carma wrote: "I listen to books on my computer while at work. Even though it isn't an actual book, does that work?
Before you answer, here is a funny story about my listening to a book while working on a proj..."


That's funny. Audiobooks are fine but if your personal office is generally a more closed environment where people don't usually walk in/by all the time that doesn't work for the public aspect.


message 14: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Cynthia wrote: "Carma wrote: "I listen to books on my computer while at work. Even though it isn't an actual book, does that work?
Before you answer, here is a funny story about my listening to a book while work..."


Cynthia, I can verify that Carma's desk is very public--at least for all the people at her work--her "office" is in the hallway to anywhere in the building.


message 15: by Carma (new)

Carma | 28 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "Carma wrote: "I listen to books on my computer while at work...."

My office building is in a circle and many of us sit on the "outside track" of the large hallway. I sit on a very busy corner that goes to the restrooms and a conference area. (Thanks for concurring, Mom!)


message 16: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Carma wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "Carma wrote: "I listen to books on my computer while at work...."

My office building is in a circle and many of us sit on the "outside track" of the large hallwa..."


Then that's fine.


message 17: by Felina (new)

Felina Carma & Donna Jo - Jealous! I want my mom to do challenges with me.


message 18: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Felina wrote: "Carma & Donna Jo - Jealous! I want my mom to do challenges with me."

It's so much fun to "guilt" her into reading just a few more books. (As if getting her to read has ever been a problem.) But she has a busy life. Luckily, her husband is a reader too.


message 19: by Felina (new)

Felina I'm going to force my mom to join the challenge. She loves to read. She'll like it. I've planned all my books for the tasks so I'll just make her use the same list. That'll work right? he he Hope she likes zombie books.


message 20: by Donna Jo (last edited May 27, 2010 02:45PM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Felina wrote: "I'm going to force my mom to join the challenge. She loves to read. She'll like it. I've planned all my books for the tasks so I'll just make her use the same list. That'll work right? he he Hope s..."

Felina, I was going to offer to addopt you--but I don't think I could take all the zombie books!! LOL
Instead, would love to have your mom join in.


message 21: by Felina (new)

Felina What? No zombies? You're missing out. My mom agreed to take a Zombie Survival Class with me (5 week class that just ended last night). She liked it so I can imagine she'd read my zombie books. Hmmm...perhaps she's a better fit for me mommy wise. :P


message 22: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Felina wrote: "What? No zombies? You're missing out. My mom agreed to take a Zombie Survival Class with me (5 week class that just ended last night). She liked it so I can imagine she'd read my zombie books. Hmmm..."

My house in not a no zombie zone, but I will admit that only allow the amusing ones (a la Christopher Moore and Piers Anthony) in my hands. Otherwise I don't sleep for weeks, listening to all the noises in the house.


message 23: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 128 comments I'm gotten my aunt involved...mom is next on my list!


message 24: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments My sister, Jan (the Gryphon) read for two Challenges, but decided to go back to the real world this time around.


message 25: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments My DH and DD are Goodreads members but they think I'm crazy...the Challenges are part of my "collector" mentality, always competitive.


message 26: by Carma (new)

Carma | 28 comments I give myself a number to try to reach, not finish the challenge. And yes, Mother did guilt trip me (one of the rare ones) to join the winter one, but I skipped the spring. We are comparing book lists.


message 27: by Caz (new)

Caz | 29 comments It says read a book of at least 100 pages in public, if we read a longer book, but read at least 100 pages of the book outside, is that ok? x


message 28: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments I think that Cynthia wanted the book to be over 100 pages, but the whole book put be read in public (not necessarily outside). I plan on reading my book in the book store.


message 29: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Caz wrote: "It says read a book of at least 100 pages in public, if we read a longer book, but read at least 100 pages of the book outside, is that ok? x"

You need to read the entire book in public.


back to top