Gangplank discussion

Survivors Club > Pre-reading questions. for 'The Survivors Club'

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (last edited May 16, 2010 05:15PM) (new)

Katie (katiehurst) | 1 comments Mod
Before you being reading July's book, 'The Survivors Club: The Secrets and Science that Could Save your Life', post your responses to the following questions:

When you hear the word 'survivor', what images or thoughts come to mind?

Have you ever been in a public place and plotted how you would escape if there was an accident?

Do you consider yourself a risk taker? Why or why not?

In the event of a disaster, what role do you think you would take on? (problem solver, hero, victim, etc)

message 2: by Derek (new)

Derek Neighbors (dneighbors) | 6 comments Mod
I think to me survivor brings to mind gritty and determined with a strong will to endure.

The more crowded the place Im at the more likely I have a mental escape plan in place. Anything requiring me to be in a line has an exit strategy.

Risk taker on some things but not other.

Problem solver.

message 3: by John (new)

John Webster | 2 comments When I think survivor, I see a trapped mine worker, a plane crash victim, or a holocaust survivor.
Most of my escape planning happens on roller coasters during the slow up phase.
I am not a big risk taker. In a disaster I would be the problem solver, or at the least the guy who points out the problems.

message 4: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Hurst (tdhurst) | 1 comments Overcoming life-altering adversity.

Yes. Also, I try to figure out who I need to take down first.

Not sure I consider it risky, because my version of safe is fairly risky.

If my stupidity takes over, hero. If I let my brain work, problem solver.

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris Coneybeer (coneybeer) | 2 comments When I think of survivor I picture people that are forced into a situation that forces them to strip away layers of modern thought processes (and notions) and focus on our animal instinct to live. I picture somebody doing things because they HAVE TO in order to live. Be it stranded somewhere or stuck in what seems to be an un-escapable situation. The actions are driven by a primal instinct and what we know as modern society does not impede the desire to survive.

I constantly find myself thinking about escape routes in daily life just due to my issues with large groups of people and small spaces. It is weird because if I know there are no ways to “escape” it does not really bother me so much but when I can see freedom on the other side…

During the last couple years I find myself taking more risks physically, socially and mentally. To me the idea of risk taking is more about pushing your own boundaries. Some may think they are huge risk takers and to others they appear not to be.

In the event of disaster I would be a problem solver and a grunt. It is in my nature when under huge amounts of stress to find a solution and just do it.

message 6: by Tim (new)

Tim Giron (grindhouse) | 1 comments The word survivor brings to mind the overcoming of unexpected adversity. For me, survivors are made by circumstance. As far as images, there are certainly some photographs that come to mind of the aftermath of disasters.

Most definitely have considered escape routes while in public places that offer only limited means of exit.

I do not consider myself a risk taker as I would define it. That's not to say that I fall very far to the risk averse side either.

I would say problem solver.