America's History discussion

Revolutions > Industrial Revolution

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mystery, The person behind the mask (new)

Mystery (psidonotlikeliars) | 31 comments Mod
Talk! Talk! Talk!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Ummm, ok...

What's do you think about Text-Tile Mills?

message 3: by Chachi (new)

Chachi  (fudgebrowne) | 70 comments They were okay I guess. I mean they aren't my favorite (here's why- not to be random or anything) they were powered by water and what if a huge wave came and like destroyed everything? And plus, they were dirty and sometimes crowded.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate They were also very dangerous. A lot of the time they employed women and children to work in them. There was a branch of them called the Lowell Girls if I recall correctly that worked around some 16 hours of day in the south.

message 5: by Mystery, The person behind the mask (new)

Oh yeah from francis c lowell. I think. They also paid the children and the women cheaply. How horribe!

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate I know! Up farther north, children were working in factories for almost nothing. It was very dangerous, a lot of times children would killed by the machinary. A loss of hand or limb happened as well, and no one cared.

Chris, The Kid Who Wants To Go Harvard University (futureharvardstudent) | 164 comments Mod
Good thing for child labor laws right?

message 8: by Mystery, The person behind the mask (new)

When was the first labor signed into law?

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate Ummm, I'm actually not sure about the date, but my guess would in the early to mid 1900's because in the 10's and 20's there were still factories that employed children like that. The most common type I know of were sewing factories.

message 10: by Mystery, The person behind the mask (new)

Hm. wow... Bring up something else to talk about!

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate well we are talking about the Industrial Revolution.

Chris, The Kid Who Wants To Go Harvard University (futureharvardstudent) | 164 comments Mod
Are you learning about it right now?

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate No, not exactly right now but we were earlier this year. No, I was talking about the topic for this discussion was the Industrail Revolution and that we as a group were talking about it.

ok. How about the Cottin gin?

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate I think it was a great invention! Eli Whitney was a genious! It made the life of catten workers so much easier!

Yeah. I have to agree with you on that. But, then again, it did raise the idea of slavery in the south. What about Sam Slater?

(Dont forget to comment in the other groups. If you dont mind.)

message 17: by Kate (new)

Kate (Oh right sorry)

Samuel Slate. I like that guy. He was the one who smuggled in the plans for text-tile mills from England right?

Yeah. But he had to figure out a way to get back. I think he memorized the plans.

(No problem. )

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate (thanks)

Another reason as to why I like that guy. Thanks to him, England couldn't keep that little secret locked up anymore, and thanks to him, America's economy boomed!

Why do you think England kept that secret?

message 21: by Kate (new)

Kate Think about it. If they're the only nation in the world that has them, they're going to make a lot of business aren't they?

Yeah but if they had allies, then wouldn't they want to share it with them? I am not saying that America was their allie.

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate Well, they didn't really have allies. They hated us, they hated the French, and they hated the Spanish? Who's really left?

True. Germany was involved at the time. Wait, I know this getting of topic but, what was happening in germany and greece at the time?

message 25: by Kate (new)

Kate ummm, I don't think much was happening in Greece actually. But in Germany, hmmm...let's see. Well the next big thing for Germany would be WWI, and that's coming up in about 30 or so years from where we're studying. (We're at the Civil War right now, 1862-1866 ish)

Oh! I am learning about andrew jackson and the indian removal act and treaties such as the treaty of New Echota.

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate Ahhh, so that explains the sudden interest in him...

and indians.

That, and I really dont like him.

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate not many peolpe do. I have a friend who's unfortuneately related to him. Not quite sure the exacts, but somewhere along the line she's got some of his blood running through her veins.

but how? He only adopted a child.

message 31: by Kate (new)

Kate must of been like a a brother's kid or something, like I said, I don't know the exacts. But her dad got it blood tested. So...ya...

AHHHHHHHHHHHH! his dna is still on earth!

message 33: by Chachi (new)

Chachi  (fudgebrowne) | 70 comments ???????????????

The native american killer dna is still on earth! ahhhh!!!!!

message 35: by Chachi (new)

Chachi  (fudgebrowne) | 70 comments ^^ Weird. Lolz.
Who was that guy who invented the steamboat?

Robert Fulton.

message 37: by Kate (new)

Kate Chris, The Kid Who Wants To Go Harvard University wrote: "The native american killer dna is still on earth! ahhhh!!!!!"

uhhh, yeah it is...

message 39: by Mystery, The person behind the mask (new)

Chris, he was not all evil, maybe about 5 percent of him was ok...

message 40: by Chachi (new)

Chachi  (fudgebrowne) | 70 comments True

he's kidding. All of andrew jackson is sick twisted and temperamental. Hot head!
(dont forget to comment in the other groups)

message 42: by Chachi (new)

Chachi  (fudgebrowne) | 70 comments Not all of him though. To admitt it, he created the Spoils System which was ,in my opinion, wrong.

Did the spoil system... wait lets talk about this in the Andrew Jackson and martin van buren. Next topic in this group is the steam boat!

message 44: by Chachi (new)

Chachi  (fudgebrowne) | 70 comments Okay, but what did Martin Van Buren have to do with it?

O whoops. i didnt mean to put that... Wait, well martin van buren was in his kitchen cabinet, but I still hate both of them.

message 46: by Chachi (new)

Chachi  (fudgebrowne) | 70 comments I don't even know who he is, so....

8th president

message 48: by Chachi (new)

Chachi  (fudgebrowne) | 70 comments I knew he was a president!

... WAhhhhhh! Do you hate him?

message 50: by Chachi (new)

Chachi  (fudgebrowne) | 70 comments How can I if I don't even know his signifigance in history?

« previous 1