Friends who write discussion

Announcement

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) I just got an email saying my proof for Dead on arrival has been shipped to me. I was so happy i was jumping up and down It feels so real to me now. I hope I like it.

message 2: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) Congratulations, Karen. That's quite an accomplishment.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah Congrats! Wow!

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) Thanks all have hope u will get there.

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Weaver (brendaweaver) | 22 comments Congratulations Karen!
The feeling of finally holding that long awaited treasure that you've created in your hand is like no other feeling on this beautiful earth! Let me tell you...it's the same feeling no matter how many books you have in print or have had...it's just the amazing awestruck euphoria that happens when you have accomplished something so significant...no matter if it doesn't go far, although we all hope they will, its just that now we have become somewhat Immortal because we have given life to our words for the next generation to love.
Happy Writing!
Brenda

message 6: by Janie (new)

Janie Pendleton (janie_pendleton_author) I wish I could be there to celebrate with you when you open it! CONGRATS! Soak in the dreamy feeling it will give you! janie

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites)
Thanks. It's been a long journey--If anyone is familiar with self publishing. I can tellyou it's a learning experience. As a result of being a starving artiste I had to promote the book myself . Can anyone give me some good ideas on getting it out there?
I am walking on pins and needles with waiting for it. It's going to be available in August Through Me...If anyone wants a copy please order soon and I will let you know the cost and shipping and handling. I think it's going to be about $16.70 CAD and postage. send requests to karenv_2003@hotmail.com I can accept money orders.

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) Make sure you decide exactly what kind of package you want to buy. do you want to save money or do you want to have the best package for distribution? I went for the cheaper package and I regret it. I should have gone for the big picture for my first endeavor and then tried to do things on my own. I find that I am struggling a bit. It's a learning experience thats for sure.

message 9: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Weaver (brendaweaver) | 22 comments I have a wonderful publisher and am glad I held out instead of self publishing. Self publishing is a very hard endeavor as far as marketing goes. But so it is when you are with a small pub as well although my first experience with my first publisher was an invaluable lesson I am very glad I found my second publisher because the marketing process has been so much easier with their help. Yes, even with the larger pubs you have to contribute in some way as far as marketing goes.
Find any and every review site on the web and have them review your book...adverties on websites some are free others range from the inexpensive to truly expensive. I would stick with free as much as possible until you can afford some of the rest.
Send out press releases to surrounding book stores for book signings follow up a few months later with a phone call and touch base with them if you have not heard anything by then.
Think outside the box when it comes to marketing in and around your area. Make sure you always carry business cards, bookmarks, books etc with you wherever you go.
I researched until my eyeballs popped with my first book because my publisher didn't market...but my new publisher markets very well and what I do just enhances the process.
I have tons of information if anyone is interested. I can put it together for you. Just email me at ladydragynheart@hotmail.com
I will be glad to help in any way that I can to make the marketing process less painful.
It's a long process so be prepared. It doesn't stop after a few months, you must keep your novel in the public eye for as long as possible make yourself accessible. Get a web page if you don't already have one...they are crucile!
Brenda

message 10: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Weaver (brendaweaver) | 22 comments Again, I truly have nothing against self publishing but why aren't you trying for a publisher? There are thousands out there. I know a few really good ones. I know when you self publish your book gets in your hands withing what 6 or 8 weekes? That is really fast where pubs take 6 months or longer because you have the editing process to go through to tighten up your work and make it the best you can before it is the presses. My new book Dragon Lord of Kells is in ebook and print. I get the best of both worlds from my publisher and they market it on the net in every feasible manner you can think of that I don't even know about.
Any questions, just email me at ladydragynheart@hotmail.com
I will glad to help in anyway I can.
Brenda

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) I was not on a deadline with Trafford I had the book written by the time I went shopping, and I retain the rights to my book.

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) would love the info Brenda--going to look for a different way of doing things next time __I will take the info u offer graciously

message 13: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Weaver (brendaweaver) | 22 comments Laura,
Yes I guess if you look at it that way, since you do sign a contract you would loose the rights of it for about a year or two but then it reverts back to you if you do not want to renew your contract. I did that...then my first book went out of print and I lost many future sales because of it...that won't happen again, but of course I am happy where I am. A lot of writers can't really say that unfortunately. If you change your mind just holler...or if you need any help with marketing...I would be glad to help.
Brenda

message 14: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Weaver (brendaweaver) | 22 comments Karen,
Give me a few days to get things together and I will email the info to you. I am just finishing up book 2 of my series, going to run through a quick self edit then email it to my editor. Aftet that I can send the info to you.
Good luck with your endeavors.
Brenda

message 15: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (yahoodymcewan) hi,
i know its a bit late but well done Karen!!!!!

really excited for you.xx

message 16: by Letitia (new)

Letitia | 10 comments Brenda, I would welcome the information you mentioned as well. I think that could be very useful. I'm not looking to be a best-selling author, or even to make it my full time job, but a little more help in the marketing dept. would be wonderful!

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) The stuff she sent me is most help ful Letitia
I found a store that might take my book on consignment. It's alittle store but she stakes in stuff from local writers artists etc.
Also showed me that I could make post cards to promote it bsaed on something some one did.