Outlander Series discussion

miscellaneous > What do you think about the theme of war?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol | 193 comments I find myself thinking about War these days, and the impact of it on the people living through it. For Clair, Roger, Bree - and us, knowing the outcome of the Revolutionary war - and reading about a part of the country that I really knew little about in terms of this war (and I was a history major in college!), has been enlightening for me. Claire has lived through 3 wars, Jamie fought in France and the '45, Roger lost his family during WWII, and Brianna left at the height of the Viet Nam war. What are your thoughts about how war shaped these people?

message 2: by Mairicat (new)

Mairicat | 53 comments War experiences have tied all of the characters together. It also ties the past with the future because, bar advances in things like weaponry, transport and medical care, war is a universal and time transcending experience. It is a brilliant and binding theme throughout the books. One more example of DG's genuis. I have always been fascinated with the wars of independence throughout time and the world and how one fueled the next. My ancestors fought in the American Revolution. Plus have always been fascinated with the tragic Jacobite history and surrounding politics. These books have proven to be a rare find in more ways than one!!

message 3: by Heather (last edited May 17, 2010 01:54PM) (new)

Heather | 120 comments DG is a genius when it comes to her war scenes. As is offers substance and she keeps close to the factual aspect, DG uses the wars to her advantage allowing her to unite all of her characters mentally, physically, and emotionally as any war would. I do think in the time period of wars she has included, her novels should have a little more emphasis on how the women united throughout villages and communities. As Jamie rounds up his clans men and departs for war in the real era women were virtually on their own. A disabled man would be left behind (example Ian) but DG’s story is a little too cushy according to history written. Diana included effects of war such as food shortages, lack of money, family, property loss, etc. but the true suffering of war was not relayed as is.

Claire, Roger, Brianna, they all adjusted fine according to the time period. Too easy in my opinion. They should have bigger desires than hot baths and toilet paper. They all make do with what they have and that means the most!