The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > Tyra Banks's New Series

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by aldenoneil (last edited May 11, 2010 03:20PM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Can we make recommendations? If so, come the summer of 2011, this will be mine:

Tyra Banks
wants to spread some truth, and a little fantasy.

The talk-show host and former model has agreed to a three-book deal with Delacorte Press for a fantasy series for young people. It's about a girl trying to keep up with the beauty game at an elite school for supermodels, or Intoxibellas.

Delacorte said Tuesday that the first novel, "Modelland," comes out in the summer of 2011.

message 2: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1707 comments Mod
This will be too ridiculous not to read. Wait, what part about this is "fantasy" again? The part where supermodels go to school? ;)

message 3: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 962 comments Mod
Haha, I also believe Alden should be required to write a song based on Tyra B' opus. ;)

message 4: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Veronica wrote: "This will be too ridiculous not to read. Wait, what part about this is "fantasy" again? The part where supermodels go to school? ;)"

If you'd seen America's Next Top Model (not that I have), you'd know that models are all aliens. From Bizarro World.

message 5: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Unson (teambanzai) | 10 comments My pet peeve just kicked in. I can't help but be a spelling Nazi today. It should be Tyra Banks' not Banks's.

I really recommend reading Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation

message 6: by aldenoneil (last edited May 19, 2010 09:56AM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Jaime wrote: "My pet peeve just kicked in. I can't help but be a spelling Nazi today. It should be Tyra Banks' not Banks's.

I really recommend reading [book:Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach..."

Aha! Where do you think I learned to add the extra "S"? See here:

Current guides to punctuation (including that ultimate authority, Fowler’s Modern English Usage) state that with modern names ending in “s”(including biblical names and any foreign name with an unpronounced final “s”), the “s” is required after the apostrophe:
Keats’s poems
Philippa Jones’s book

message 7: by Alan (new)

Alan (professoralan) What does Grammar Girl say? That's MY final authority!

message 8: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Jaime wrote: "My pet peeve just kicked in. I can't help but be a spelling Nazi today. It should be Tyra Banks' not Banks's. "

There is no accepted rule one way or another. The best advice is to use whatever sounds best, which to me means that if the "s" is preceded by a vowel, it only needs an apostrophe (Socrates'), but a consonant-s receives an apostrophe-s (Banks').

message 9: by Matty Van (new)

Matty Van (mattyvan) | 55 comments has she ever written anything of any kind before? I wonder if its really her writing or if its a ghost writer...... I may have to pass on this based on my personal morals, just like I dont watch reality TV.

message 10: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cm_cameron) | 50 comments What does it mean when a discussion about a book becomes a completely unrelated discussion about punctuation, and the one about punctuation is more interesting?

Seriously though, after seeing what she does on Top Model and her talk show, I'm afraid of the kind of stuff she might put in a book. Having said that, I think I'm with Veronica on this one. I might take the book as a challenge. See if I can read the whole thing without puking or spontaneously combusting or imploding or whatever happens to people when they read books like this. Stuff like that does happen, right?

Oh, and before everyone comes running to take away all my man cards, I don't watch either of her shows. I do watch The Soup, though, so...

message 11: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Cameron wrote: "Oh, and before everyone comes running to take away all my man cards, I don't watch either of her shows. I do watch The Soup, though, so... "

There are more reasons for a straight man to watch America's Next Top Model than for a straight woman.

Matty Van wrote: "has she ever written anything of any kind before? I wonder if its really her writing or if its a ghost writer...... I may have to pass on this based on my personal morals, just like I dont watch r..."

The number of celebrities who have written a book without a ghost writer is ... hmm ... well, there's Sterling Hayden (General Ripper from Dr. Strangelove).

message 12: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cm_cameron) | 50 comments Sean wrote: "There are more reasons for a straight man to watch America's Next Top Model than for a straight woman."

I disagree. Even if I did watch shows because they had attractive women in them, I could easily find a show where the girls are far less annoying/egotistical/crazy.

message 13: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments Cameron wrote: "What does it mean when a discussion about a book becomes a completely unrelated discussion about punctuation, and the one about punctuation is more interesting?"

Hmmm. I'll have to think on that. My rule for the possessive of names ending in "s" is do whatever your the professor you're writing a paper for requires. I majored in English Lit and it seemed like every instructor used a different rule. Sigh.

The key is to not use an apostrophe-s for a plural.

message 14: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Sandi wrote: "Hmmm. I'll have to think on that. My rule for the possessive of names ending in "s" is do whatever your the professor you're writing a paper for requires. I majored in English Lit and it seemed like every instructor used a different rule. Sigh. "

At George Mason, the English Department agreed to go by a single style-book.

message 15: by aldenoneil (last edited May 26, 2010 01:45PM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Sean wrote: "Sandi wrote: "Hmmm. I'll have to think on that. My rule for the possessive of names ending in "s" is do whatever your the professor you're writing a paper for requires. I majored in English Lit an..."

I'm very picky about these things, especially on posters and printed signs (because somebody paid a lot of money and not a lot of attention), but more and more my rule is: Did I understand it? If yes, then it's fine.