Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Random Chit-Chat > Yz's Little Food Corner

Comments Showing 1-50 of 256 (256 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments If I'm not reading or hanging out in GR, you will probably find me in the kitchen, cooking up something.

I would like to know what my GR friends are eating...you got that right, eating. I would like to hear what you had for breakfast, what did you grab for lunch, and what will you be making for dinner.

Share with me your favorite meals, your kitchen disasters or your lazy take-out ideas.

So, when you have nothing to do, come and chill with me, and bring your appetite. : )

message 2: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Made some Broccoli Balls last night. It's like a snack/appetizer thing I usually do when I have too much broccoli left over.

Took it out of the oven, went into the bedroom to get something, and came back to find out that hubby already scarfed half a dozen of it even before it cools down. : )

Texture is pretty similar to crab cakes, and I used cheddar cheese this time, since I ran out of parmesan.

message 3: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited May 11, 2010 12:05PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Lunch today is left-overs from last night dinner. I made Bean Bolognese, and it turned out to be pretty good. I made it exactly as the recipe said, except I used dried parsley instead of fresh (didn't have any). Hubby had seconds, so I know it was a keeper.

message 4: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments I've done the broccoli appetizer, just not the same you have. In fact, i had it last night around 2am. I placed the broccoli in a plastic ziploc container, topped it with mozzarella and closed the top. Put it in the microwave for a few minutes and voila, a delicious and healthy snack!

For breakfast, i made some Farina today. I tend to change the recipe though, since i use sugar instead of salt. Oh and i add a little bit of butter.

Did not have any lunch today since i had a late and filling breakfast. I may make some Penne Alla Vodka today for dinner or ham and cheese omelet. It depends on how lazy i will be by then.LOL

message 5: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited May 11, 2010 12:33PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Farina? I'm not familiar with that, Rossy. Can you tell me more?

I know about being lazy, too. LOL...It's usually Papa John's vegetarian pizza if I don't feel like making dinner.

message 6: by Rossy (last edited May 11, 2010 01:36PM) (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments LOL! Sorry, you would probably know it by cream of wheat. Here's a link if doesn't ring a bell by that either: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farina_(...
[image error]

This is the only brand i know how to make. Though i think there are different flavors if you want, i just have no clue/want to make it.^.^

It's quite soft and warm for when you're sick or in a cold day!

message 7: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Hmmm...sounds interesting. Breakfast is my weakest meal of the day. I usually just have coffee, sometimes I have toast with peanut butter and that's it.

I'm looking for quick, healthy breakfast ideas.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments Tonight will be some sort of salmon filet with snow peas and rice with a tossed salad. Pretty standard stuff.

message 9: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Sounds healthy and delicious, Photojim. Is the salmon baked or grilled?

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 205 comments I'm making baked cod for dinner tonight. Breakfast was an egg and pork roll sandwich at the local bagel shop and lunch was leftover spaghetti.

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments lazy meal = bowl of cereal or a bagel with strawberry cream cheese...

i'm on shift work, so my body is continually weird and not on an eating schedule

message 12: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Yz the Whyz wrote: "Hmmm...sounds interesting. Breakfast is my weakest meal of the day. I usually just have coffee, sometimes I have toast with peanut butter and that's it.

I'm looking for quick, healthy breakfast i..."

Well i think it's supposed to be healthy. I like it because it's not too heavy for breakfast either and it's so quickly made. I think it takes me less than 10 minutes.

message 13: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Photojim wrote: "Tonight will be some sort of salmon filet with snow peas and rice with a tossed salad. Pretty standard stuff."

I don't like peas, but everything else sounds delicious! Was it regular salmon or smoked?

message 14: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Sandy wrote: "I'm making baked cod for dinner tonight. Breakfast was an egg and pork roll sandwich at the local bagel shop and lunch was leftover spaghetti."

Wow that's a heavy breakfast. I don't think my stomach can take pork in the morning.LOL

message 15: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Rossy ~*~ Ehrotic ~*~ wrote: Wow that's a heavy breakfast. I don't think my stomach can take pork in the morning.LOL .."

When I was growing up in the Philippines, breakfast was a full meal, rice and some sort of fried meat.

Now, I can barely raised an appetite for breakfast, but trying, since I was told that skipping breakfast is not healthy.

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 205 comments Rossy ~*~ Ehrotic ~*~ wrote: "Sandy wrote: "I'm making baked cod for dinner tonight. Breakfast was an egg and pork roll sandwich at the local bagel shop and lunch was leftover spaghetti."

Wow that's a heavy breakfast. I don'..."

My boyfriend wanted to go out for breakfast sandwiches. Usually I have either cereal or yoghurt and fruit for breakfast. Except on Saturday when we make french toast.

message 17: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments Well i am guilty of having mashed potatoes/plantains with some kind of fried cheese or eggs, on the side for breakfast. I just don't have it as frequently as my family tends to do.

I know i shouldn't be but am quite shocked every time i go to Korea. The breakfast setting, looks just like what my lunch would be.LOL

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments Yz the Whyz wrote: "Sounds healthy and delicious, Photojim. Is the salmon baked or grilled?"

I get the individually frozen filets from Sam's club. Each is about 6-8 oz. Put them in a colander with cool water running over them for 10-15 minutes and they are thawed. Then grill/bake/pan sear/cedar plank how you will. Tonight I've decided on a teqilla lime pan sear.

message 19: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Dinner tonight was a simple affair. We had black bean and toasted corn tacos. Instead of the fixins recommended with the recipe, I used what I have available: diced onions, diced tomatoes, shredded cabbage, shredded cheddar cheese, salsa and sour cream. The black beans mixture and the corn combination turned out to be very good.

message 20: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments I'm too lazy to cook at all tonight, so i just put some pancake mix in my express Redi-Set-Go! Some syrup and dinner is served! *ROFL*

message 21: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Rossy ~*~ Ehrotic ~*~ wrote: "I'm too lazy to cook at all tonight, so i just put some pancake mix in my express Redi-Set-Go! Some syrup and dinner is served! *ROFL*"

We all have those evenings. LOL!

message 22: by Gigi (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments Wow! All of this food talk is making me hungry again! LOL

My meal was probably the most boring meal on this thread. Rotisserie chicken and a salad. Oh wait, there was some excitement...a can of pepsi. LOL

message 23: by Pickles (last edited May 11, 2010 05:35PM) (new)

Pickles (angstypickles) | 387 comments Pancakes are good anytime, Rossy! I love them and my son does, too. You know that pancake batter blaster that they sell (it squirts out like canned whipped cream)? I tried it yesterday morning and the pancakes came out so thin and sweet. It was weird! I don't think I'm going to use it again.

I was sitting here, trying and trying to remember what I had for breakfast today, when I suddenly realized that I hadn't eaten anything until dinner a little while ago. I was distracted because my son is sick and never thought about eating myself. But dinner today was cheap, lazy, and quick. I picked up some chicken wings and had a few with some macaroni salad. I wanted to make spaghetti, but had absolutely no motivation. Maybe tomorrow!

message 24: by Gigi (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments Love pancakes. I need to eat more of them...or maybe I dont! LOL I'm going to have to get one of those blasters. Never heard of that.

message 25: by Pickles (new)

Pickles (angstypickles) | 387 comments Gigi wrote: "Love pancakes. I need to eat more of them...or maybe I dont! LOL I'm going to have to get one of those blasters. Never heard of that."

They sell it in the refrigerated section, Gigi. Near the eggs or milk usually. It looks like a can of whipped cream, but it's pancake batter. LOL.

message 26: by Gigi (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments Oh wow! Thanks Harper! Ok, thats on my list next trip to the supermarket. LOL

message 27: by Purple (last edited May 13, 2010 06:16AM) (new)

Purple (purpletan) | 1221 comments I used to cook upon getting home from work. But then I got more than sad because noone eats them. So take out it is, and tonight its roasted chickens, rice and some ready made soup. Our meals always include rice by the way.

message 28: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Purple wrote: "I used to cook upon getting home from work. But then I got more than sad because noone eats them. So take out it is, and tonight its roasted chickens, rice and some ready made soup. Our meals alway..."

I grew up in the Philippines, so I know that rice is a staple in every meal. : )

Hubby, who is American, misses rice if we don't have it, say in three consecutive day. I swear he likes rice more than I do. : )

message 29: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Skipped breakfast again. Just had a cup of coffee.

message 30: by Angie (last edited May 13, 2010 07:28AM) (new)

Angie | 761 comments I am currently doing Weight Watchers (55lbs gone since February!) so I've been trying to keep my points low and have discovered how much I love vegtables! To most people it will sound daft, but veg was always 'that bit on the side' to me. So that is what I'm eating at the moment - lots of vegtables!
Any vegtable and/or WW recipe ideas are greatly received!

message 31: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Angie wrote: "I am currently doing Weight Watchers (55lbs gone since February!) so I've been trying to keep my points low and have discovered how much I love vegtables! To most people it will sound daft, but veg..."

That is great news. I want to lose weight, too. I probably need to lose around 40 lbs. *hangs head in shame*

Almost all the recipes or dishes I will be posting will be vegetable-based since I have stop eating meat. So keep on the look-out for them. : )

message 32: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Having my mid-morning snack. Finally, solid food. : )

Somebody at work went to McDonald's and threw me a hash brown. LOL...ate one.

Also snacking on half of an apple and a handful of raw almonds, and drinking some green tea.

This should hold me off until lunch.

message 33: by Jezi (new)

Jezi (wjrockafellow) My kids absolutely love pancakes and would eat them at every meal if you let them. Their favorite is blueberry. I always make extras so I have leftovers for the next day. They also love to eat them cold.

For breakfast I usually do a peanut butter and banana sandwitch. This morning I was running late so settled for a strawberry milkshake pop-tart.

message 34: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited May 13, 2010 09:25AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Not the healthiest of breakfast, Jess...LOL, but I like strawberry milkshake pop-tarts myself. I stopped keeping them in the house, because when I get a sweet craving, it's too easy to pop in a toaster and gobble up.

message 35: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments I had a smoothie for breakfast this morning. I used the Goya frozen fruit (Soursop). Added some milk, sugar and ice and voila!

For lunch, i ordered some Chinese food. Pork fried rice with sesame chicken. YUM! I'm too full now though and want to take a nap. Too bad am at work *wails*LOL

message 36: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Just got done with lunch. Had spinach and cheese ravioli (I get this from Sam's Club) topped with hubby's spaghetti sauce. He rarely cooks but when he is in the mood, he makes a mean sauce.

Now I want to take a nap, too. : ) But work beckons.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments Put together a lasagna last night. Cooked the meat with roasted garlic, diced onion, and diced red bell pepper. Layered with ricotta, mozzarella, and a roasted garlic marinara. When I get home from the studio tonight it goes into the oven for an hour and I will be a happy camper.

Lunch today was a fabulous crawfish etufee over white rice from Levee (a Cajun restaurant here in Columbus). How am I ever supposed to drop a few pounds?

message 38: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments That sounds so delicious, i wouldn't care about the extra pounds. At least they would be worth it.LOL

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments Lasagna is in the oven now. It smells way too good.

message 40: by Gigi (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments Crawfish etouffee!?! OHG! My favorite. I'm sooo jealous!

I'm having shrimp with garlic sauce (leftover chinese). I'd rather have the fresh Lasagna! LOL

message 41: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments I just picked up some smoked-salmon with some rice and red kidney beans. My dinner should be really good tonight....hmmm, maybe some wine is in order.

message 42: by Gigi (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments Oooooohh, wine sounds good!

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments I have to say that the diced red bell pepper really did make a big difference in the lasagna. And yes, it was tasty.

message 44: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments made a quick and easy dinner tonight...

brown ground turkey in a pan; while doing that cook whole wheat pasta...when the meat is done, mix in alfredo sauce with some mrs. dash seasoning...add the pasta when it is cooked...I also added some asparagus in - quick and simple! needs a bit more color though, so I think I might add some bell peppers in next time. i got the recipe from my friend doing a figure comp, so she is really watching her calorie and fat intake, so its also fairly healthy

message 45: by Gigi (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments dee, that sounds delicious!

message 46: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments it is...a bit bland in color, so i'm still experimenting...I added asparagus tonight (mmm, yum!) but bell peppers too next time...

Gigi wrote: "dee, that sounds delicious!"

message 47: by Rossy (last edited May 13, 2010 05:53PM) (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 2192 comments I can never eat pepper if i can see it. I'm like a kid when it comes to those vegies. Now give me some broccolii or carrots and am a happy camper.

When am cooking some kind of meat, i like to make something we Spanish call sofrito. I put it all in a blender and separate in different ziploc bags for freezing. Whenever i need it, i just take it out. I also season the meat with it and leave it to marinate overnight.

message 48: by Jezi (new)

Jezi (wjrockafellow) I don't like peppers either, or onions, or tomotoes, but the odd thing is that I love salsa. :P

Had a McDonalds Sausage mcmuffin for breakfast and will have my left over chinese (honey chicken) for lunch.

message 49: by Gigi (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments Rossy ~*~ Ehrotic ~*~ wrote: "I can never eat pepper if i can see it. I'm like a kid when it comes to those vegies. Now give me some broccolii or carrots and am a happy camper.

When am cooking some kind of meat, i like to ma..."

OMG! My mother cooks everything with sofrito, and I mean everything! LOL

message 50: by Julie (new)

Julie | 56 comments Can't wait for my quick and easy homemade chicken quesadillas tonight. Just wish I could eat them for lunch!! Lunch will be leftovers. Breakfast was drinking chocolate milk while I washed dishes. So sad for me :(

« previous 1 3 4 5 6