East Cork Readers group discussion

Club Books > Beloved

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (naomishoots) | 50 comments Mod
Beloved by Toni Morrison

Just some links, made a start on it last night through a haze of sleepyness, im a little confused but thats nothing new.

http://www.homework-online.com/belove...
Study Guide

Random House Guide

message 2: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (naomishoots) | 50 comments Mod
Looky what i found, i may get this and see if any one fancies a movie night? maybe after the exams?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120603/

The story, set shortly after the Civil War, revolves around Sethe, a former slave living on the outskirts of Cincinnati. When the film begins, an angry poltergeist is terrorizing Sethe and her three children. After Sethe temporarily soothes the angry spirit, her two sons run away from home, never to return.

Ten years later, Sethe (Oprah Winfrey), who by this time lives alone with her daughter Denver (Kimberly Elise), runs into Paul D. (Danny Glover) an old friend from Sweet Home, the plantation Sethe escaped from many years earlier. She invites him into the house where he encounters the angry spirit head-on. Paul D. stands his ground with the spirit, driving it off. After everything in the house calms down, Paul D. and Sethe, from a mixture of unexpressed emotions and the equal share of a painful past, have passionate sex in her bedroom. After Sethe invites him to stay for a while, he heartily agrees. Shortly after Paul D. moves in, a young woman (Thandie Newton) stumbles into Sethe's yard, falling into a deep sleep and loudly snoring beneath a tree. She is clean and well groomed, dressed in black silk dress and hat. Sethe and Denver take an immediate liking to the mysterious stranger, bringing her into the house and placing her in bed. Paul D. on the other hand feels suspicious; he wonders how someone who travelled such a long way could be so clean or have such soft well-maintained feet.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments Mod
good idea naomi - i would def be interested in seeing the movie - i'm sure it would fill in a lot of gaps for us...