Mock Printz 2023 discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Mock Printz 2011 > Books We Should Discuss

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Are there any Young Adult books, published this year ,that you think we should be discussing? These must be books you feel are good enough to win the Printz award.

message 3: by Donalyn (new)

Donalyn | 6 comments I just finished Ship Breaker and I thought it was excellent.

message 4: by Donalyn (new)

Donalyn | 6 comments Some books we might consider based on critical buzz:

Sorta Like a Rockstar by Matthew Quick

Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi(I read this one and thought it was excellent. Jennifer recommends it here on this discussion thread.)

The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Will Grayson/ Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan (I'm a big John Green fan, and so are the members of the Printz committee. I had a lukewarm response to this one, though.)

White Cat by Holly Black

I am on the fence about Linger by Maggie Stiefvater. I'm not sure if it has the enduring quality that Printz voters are looking for, but it does stand apart from the other paranormal romance offerings.

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments I've got those, except Linger, on my radar. Several have received starred reviews so I'll put them on the book shelf. Sorta Like a Rockstar has a great premise. I think I can def find an audience for that one way or another!

message 6: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 27 comments I loved Will Grayson. I am reading The Cardturner : A Novel about a King, a Queen, and a Joker by Louis Sachar. I'm surprised I love it, because it involves the game of bridge. But the story and characters are driving it.

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments I am reading The Cardturner : A Novel about a King, a Queen, and a Joker by Louis Sachar. I'm surprised I love it, because it involves the game of bridge. Bu..."

I LOVED The Cardturner : A Novel about a King, a Queen, and a Joker myself! I was shocked at how good it was given the subject matter. I can't begin to know how to book talk it so students get it.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 42 comments Donalyn wrote: "Some books we might consider based on critical buzz:

Sorta Like a Rockstar by Matthew Quick

Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi(I read this one and thought it was excellent. Jennifer recommends ..."

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 42 comments I liked Will Grayson, Will Grayson, really liked Sorta Like a Rock Star....

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Will Grayson will be our August book!

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul Samuelson | 2 comments This may be self serving, but Picture the Dead by Adele Griffin and Lisa Brown got a starred review in PW and glowing reviews in the New York TImes and San Francisco Chronicle...

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Not self serving at all! It's on my personal master list and we can put it to a vote next month!

message 13: by Anne (new)

Anne (headfullofbooks) | 80 comments I just finished Ship Breaker and think there would be a ton to discuss.Ship Breaker

At first I wasn't sure if it is good enough for the Printz, but if Punkzilla can get an Honor, this book will for sure!Punkzilla

message 14: by EL (new)

EL (elreads) | 11 comments Birthmarked! Loved it couldn't put it down.

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Martinez Kirby | 8 comments Finnikin of the Rock was wonderful, I think it should be added to the list.

message 16: by June (new)

June Morgan | 19 comments Amanda wrote: "Finnikin of the Rock was wonderful, I think it should be added to the list."

I agree with all that are already mentioned long with Finniken of the Rock.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Take a look at the polls. Most every book that was mentioned was added to be voted on except Birthmarked. We do need a challenge book for September...

message 18: by Shane (last edited Sep 05, 2010 02:04PM) (new)

Shane (litjunkie) | 1 comments Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly. I haven't heard heard much about it, but I finished it last night and thought it was absolutely beautiful. Best book I've read so far in 2010.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/64...

message 19: by Dana (new)

Dana Duffy Backs | 27 comments I just started The Water Seeker and it's great. I'm having trouble putting it down. It reminds me of a couple of adult books Gap Creek : The Story Of A Marriageand Cold Mountain I hope it gets looked at by the committee.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.