Goodreads Sci-Fi/Fantasy Authors discussion

Introductions > Fallen Angels

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I just joined and I am enjoying reading old discussions. I hope that I am following the protocol.
After doing some research, after the fact of co-authoring a novel, I discovered that we wrote an 'urban fantacy'. That is new to me and beyond the scope of my friends reading list. We are 60ish and had read the classics throughout our educational years. Personally, my tastes have expanded drastically.
While promoting our book, I should be more informed than I am, on this genre of urban fanatcy. Help, please.
I have some questions if anyone is out there to discuss, please.
Can anyone explain why the facination with 'fallen' angels? Does there seem to be any interest in angels doing their jobs? [No,I did not write about angels sitting on a cloud playing a harp.:]
Who generally reads the urban fantacy?
My co-author is concerned that people won't understand that most of the chapters take place in several dimensions simutnaeously. I used the old 'back at the ranch' approach to jump into another dimension. They did it all the time back in the 1950's, but, what are readers looking for today? OOPS!Did we do a no-no? What is your experience and thoughts?
Are readers looking for plot and purpose or are they reading to have detailed physical descriptions of the paranormal characters and formulas for magic potions? Our descriptions stimulate all the sences, and I believe that the readers can relate to the characters personally. They may not agree with our charater's stance or choices, and we do expect controversy. But...are readers looking for descriptions of things like wing span or colors of feathers? If the bad guys have equipment coming our their solar plexus, how detailed should that be? My hopes are that I painted word pictures for the reader to visulize what they want to see in their own mind's eye.
The Secrets of the Unwritten Book will be printed in 2-3 weeks, so it is too late to fix anything and it will have to stand in it's own merit. We did reach our goal of publishing a book. If we make $5, that would be a bonus.
To conclude, I really would like to have some comments and discusion about any of my questions. Thank you. Malika

message 2: by Alan (new)

Alan (coachmt) | 12 comments Did you tell a good story? If any of your readers answer "Yes!", then I feel you've done your job. I don't think there's any right or wrong on the amount or level of detail to description. Some people like to be told every little detail, others like to be given only a rough framework for their imaginations to fill in.

Personally, I wrote a story that I would like to read. So far, my readers agree. I'm sure there will be many that don't, and that's okay. If we all liked the same things, the world would be a very boring place!