Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Best Picture 2007

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 2 comments What movie do you think was the best movie that came out last year...My opinion is a tie between "No Country for Old Men" and "There Will Be Blood."

message 2: by Ray (new)

Ray | 55 comments Juno and No Country for Old Men

message 3: by Faith (new)

Faith Quick (faithbquick) | 81 comments i really liked dan in real life. it surprised me how powerful the characters were and how fun it was to escape for awhile into their world. i loved 300. it was amazing. i didn't want to see it. i thought the way it was filmed would take me away from the characters but it didn't. i found myself more centered on them then anything else in the movie. bourne ultimatum. i have read all the bourne books and am VERY familiar with how MUCH and i mean how MUCH the movies are NOT like the books. but i like the movies! i thought this one was fun and action packed! and i love to see what bourne will do next! this movie really opened up new story possibilites for me. Oceans 13. this movie gave the nostalgic reminiscence of the old black and white movies. the movie was witty and the actors dialogue was done seamlessly.

message 4: by Viviana (new)

Viviana | 105 comments have not yet seen the 2008 Awards "winners", -Nocountry for Old Man or There will be blood.Have both of them but something is retaining me.Later on.
In 2007, (look that we get them later than you) I liked:
- The lives of the others
-Notes of a Scandal
-Elizabeth II
-The Queen
-Good luck and Good night(but may be this was 2006?)

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 3 comments Gone Baby, Gone. Hands down. I liked No Country, and Juno but for some reason Gone stayed with me for a long time.....it still kind of haunts me.

message 6: by Holli (new)

Holli I vote Gone Baby Gone also. This movie is still with me. I think about what I would have done at the end all the time and it makes me sick to know there are people who DO have this kind of apathy towards their children. I hate it.

message 7: by JHHK (new)

JHHK JHHK | 16 comments 300!

message 8: by Faith (new)

Faith Quick (faithbquick) | 81 comments i really liked gone baby gone. but the ending! it almost ruined the movie for me. until i decided to end the movie at the car scene. when she begged him not to call. and for me that is where it ended. that way i can still love the movie and never know what he did.

message 9: by Keely (new)

Keely | 17 comments I'm with Jhhk, The 300!

message 10: by Damien (new)

Damien (theotherkaramazov) | 3 comments I would have to say the four best films I saw last year were in this order:
1. There Will Be Blood
2. Once
3. Zodiac
4. Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Damn....last year was an amazing year for film.....I can only hope this year comes close

message 11: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments Best Film of 2007? Film is a hobby of mine (as well as constantly upgrading my home theatre) so I write reviews and post to my blog. I watch everything from Chaplin Mutuals to French New Wave to Asian Horro flicks and sometimes even craptacular Hollywood blockbusters (mainly just to write bad reviews...they're so much more fun!). Anyway, I create a Top Ten list every year and invite friends for movie nights to expose them to great films they may never have seen on their own. So here's my review of the best film of 2007:
THERE WILL BE BLOOD (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007, USA) THERE WILL BE BLOOD is an intense and nihilistic character study in the same vein (pun intended) as Kubrick’s masterpiece THE SHINNING, only without the metaphysics. PT Anderson’s film focuses on the madness of Daniel Plainview; though we see the story from his perspective we are never allowed intimate or empathetic contact with him. We are kept at a distance and experience his story from a cold emotional vantage point…which is a Kubrickian narrative convention. But the parallels to the late great Stanley Kubrick continue. The film begins in darkness and isolation and as the camera pans upwards to the bleak mountains we hear a piercing whine; this evokes a feeling of dread and horror much like the Overlook...I thought for a moment that Wendy Carlos scored the film! When Anderson shoots in a close-up of Plainview it actually takes us farther away from the character; we feel like we’re next to a rabid animal ready to lash out at any moment. There are a few excellent tracking shots and scenes with long focal lengths keeping the participants as tiny figures amid the scenery….again, keeping the viewer emotionally detached from the drama. This is not a film that carries a heavy plot; sure there is conflict between characters but there is no driving plot device…only the madness of Daniel Plainview. Daniel Day-Lewis’ performance channels the energy and insanity of Nicholson’s Jack Torrance; from the opening scene which showcases his isolation and obsessive nature to the brutal maddening climax. The final scene reminds me of the murder scene which bookends LOLITA; it’s funny and almost slapstick until the murder…then the seriousness of the event begins to sink in. Not only one of the best of 2007 but maybe one of the greatest American films in the last twenty years…only time will tell. It’s over. A+

message 12: by John (new)

John | 14 comments My Top 6:
1 - No Country For Old Men
2 - Sweeney Todd
3 - Persepolis
4 - I'm Not There
5 - The Diving Bell And The Butterfly
6 - There Will Be Blood

All great movies that will stand the test of time, I think.

message 13: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5484 comments I much preferred THERE WILL BE BLOOD and SWEENEY TODD to NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN.

My list for the year, in no particular order:

THERE WILL BE BLOOD
SWEENEY TODD
ZODIAC
KNOCKED UP

I just never saw what the big deal was about NO COUNTRY. A perfectly okay movie in every way, beautifully made and generally well acted. I just couldn't have cared less about what was going on. Lots of carefully convoluted plot twists and turns, but nothing about it really grabbed me. On a second viewing even less grabbed me.