Save the Earth discussion

Oil Spill

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaitie♥ (new)

Kaitie♥ (HoodiesGirl) | 167 comments Mod
If you've been listening to the news, reading the newspaper, chatting with friends, you should be well aware of a large oil spill (larger than Rhode Island) in the Gulf of Mexico. Unlike other oil spills that come from a hole in the ship of a vessel carrying oil, the oil spill came from within in the earth. In the crust where oil is found. Right now, currently the hole is continuing to spill oil and they don't know how to stop it. Discussion?

message 2: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do | 120 comments All I have to say is that its bad and the people who was in charge with the oil pump or what ever should be more careful.

message 3: by Kaitie♥ (new)

You mean BP? I think that many people are protesting and rebelling against them now. At my school, our environmental interest group actually wrote a note to Barack Obama, our president, and had everything petition for it.

message 4: by Violet (new)

Violet (violetspring) | 236 comments Mod
It was like everything that could go wrong did go wrong. And all BP seems to be doing is pointing fingers. It's been going on for 40+ days now and they just can't seem to fix it. I mean I understand that it's the deepest oil well in the Gulf and that no one knows for sure how they can fix and fix it for good because it's never been done this deep before, but this is just too much.

The sad thing is that there's not much we can do. We had talk and talk, but there are somethings that we don't have much power over. BP is already being pressured by the government who is being pressured by the people, but it's not going to make things go any smoother.

And it's not going to help that they are predicting that this year's hurrican season is going to be an active one....

I heard that a few years ago there was a big oil spill in the Red Sea and they keep it quiet and send ships out there and just sucked up the most, if not all, of the oil. I wonder if they are doing that? And if not I wonder why not?

message 5: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 90 comments I think it's terrible, but there really isn't much BP can do that they haven't already - they're losing millions and millions, so it's not like they don't also want to stop it....
Similar things happened twice in history:
One terrible oil spill happened in the Artic Circle, when the army was drilling there for other reasons. The soldiers nuked the spill and it effectively stopped it >.< I doubt Americans will let that happen this time, though....
The second time was in almost the same place, and nobody could stop it either. It took 9 months for the oil to stop leaking that time, when they made a new hole and a pipe for the oil to re-route from the old hole to the new one.

message 6: by Violet (last edited Jun 06, 2010 08:46AM) (new)

Yeah, oil leaks have happened in the past. But this one is the largest and has the most economic and evironmental impact in US history. And since its the most publicized oil leak as well, BP and the government are just getting hammered by angry people.

And the sad thing is your right Rachel. BP is trying and they can't do much, which is sad. But they are spending millions on a ads to try to make them look good (I'm sure you've seen them) and to shareholders, when they should be spending the money on the clean up effort and subsidizing the fishermen and resturant owners and others. That's what really makes me angry.

message 7: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 90 comments The thing is, as a business, they have to make the ads, because they want to keep having customers, in spite of the angry people. (I know this probably won't go over well with this group, but I'm cursed with having to see both sides of things >.< ) There's a ton of pressure on them, so while I agree that they should be focusing on cleaning up...I can still see why they're making the ads (which I haven't seen, by the way. Lack of TV will do that >.<)

message 8: by Violet (new)

Yeah, I guess. I see your point. But for arguement's sake, couldn't focusing everything on the clean up, and with all the reporters covering it, give them a kind of free advertising? If the news shows that they are using all they can on the oil leak, it would be like telling people, 'see we can be trusted' without spending money on ads to tell people that.

Then there's also the issue if them spending money on their shareholders instead of the clean up and subsidizing fishermen....

I've heard by someone that this oil leak could bankrupt BP, which is totally possible. If they keep on spending money on their sharholders and ads along with everything else, they could. But personally I think they won't. All that oil in the gulf is only the amount of oil that the US uses in ONE HOUR! Which brings us to the cause of all of this. Our growing need for oil, which makes oil companies drill risky wells and forget about safety because the need is so great making the pressure great. Without that need, none of this would be happening.

message 9: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 90 comments i agree w what you're saying in your first paragraph, but i doubt anyone at BP thinks like that

and i agree, we really are overly dependent on oil. i wish people would put more effort into finding/switching to alternative fuels! it sometimes seems like most people don't care at all

by the way, did anybody see CNN last night? apparently, the video of the spill we've been seeing is just a loop of the not-so-bad part over and over.

message 10: by Violet (new)

Well, we are switching to alternative fuels. It will take tons of time though. It will probably take all of my lifetime, if not more. We've been so dependent on fossil fuels for so long that we can't just switch over night. We need to slowly lean off of it. Fossil fuels are like our drug, and its not healthy to cut cold turkey. It will be hard and we do need to push, but once people see that oil and coal and natural gas can't solve all our problems, we all will slowly make the change to other fuels. It will take time and it won't happen all at once.

No, I didn't see that. Really?! Are you freaking telling the truth about that?! It just seems to dastardly to be true.

message 11: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 90 comments well...we should hurry up >.<

and omg, you didn't know? we had a whole discussion in my bio class about it!!! i know, it's super frustrating/aggravating xP

message 12: by Violet (new)

Yah, I had no idea about that! That's horrible! I think I hate BP even more if that's possible. This whole mess is...well a mess. *sigh*

message 13: by Kaitie♥ (new)

Hi! Sorry i've been gone, I know some probably hate when I say this, but I just wanted to say sorry!!

So from Violet's first post after mine, I think that this oil spill is different. I'm sure that there's been oil spills from the cargo ships that are transporting them and such, but I'm not sure if there's been times in history when oil has actually spilled directly from the crust. There are some ways of cleaning up oil spills from the surface, but I don't think underneath the water. It's tricky to seperate the oil and thewater and all the other resources that creatures use underwater. I remember that some news station was saying that scientist did confirm that there are oil clouds floating in the water, and before BP had denied that there was any oil below the surface of the water, which sort of clearly means that they were just hiding the fact.

I see what you mean about the advertising though!! I don't think that all the news is doing is helping, though. I mean, the news stations are showing that they're trying to help, but a lot of stations are showing that BP is clearly the one to blame. They're showing issues and problems, BP, if you ask me, has been dirty little liars. As you said before, Violet, they're scapegoating; blaming their mess on others. If they're actually still doing ads, ads that they've paid for, that is RIDICULOUS. I would be furious if they're wasting their money on ads instead of trying to find a solution.

I absolutely understand what you both mean about the alternative energy sources!! I'm still completely for Solar Power!

...It's a Looop??????? SERIOUSLY?????

message 14: by Violet (new)

I know I heard about the oil below the surface thing. It's freaking insane. The whole thing is insane. I just don't want to think about it anymore. I mean from lies from BP about the amount of oil spilling, to BP dodging questions from Congress, to all the political crap that is happening because of this, and to all economical and environmental damage. I'm sick of it!

BP is going to really be hit by this spill. I mean hit hard! The reason why they drill station went down (the cause of the oil leak), was because BP and other companies (yes others as well, but none are to blame as much as BP) cut corners. They cut corners to save millions and its costing them and going to cost them billions. Stupid! Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Greed and fossil fuels. Never a good combination. But you have to realize that solar power isn't going to be THE sourse of fuels. It just wouldn't be practical with the growing population and therefore growing need for fuel. Its going to have to be a combination of everything.

I don't think there's a loop. Seriously, have you heard it on any other news channel? And I mean CNN's been wrong before. Take the case where they thought Obama was in this music video in the 90's. They reported it. It was wrong. They don't always double check things. And if it hasn't be said any where else, I doubt it's true.

message 15: by Kaitie♥ (new)

Plus you know, BP keeps on saying that they're coming up with all these solutions, but really none have really made a dent on actually solving the crisis.

I think in addition to all of the oil company making processes easier for them, another reason why some of the backups (for if there was a potential oil spill) didn't work, was because I think they were lazy or wasn't cautious enough.

True, but if we're going to be using water power, we're going to have to find a better alternative or some way of perfecting it. Because you know how that fish are getting killed because of the dams. I think wind power is great, there's already a few places that they're using wind power, but not nearly enough.

They all look sort of different...

message 16: by Violet (new)

Well the government is pressing down on BP. The plan was to capture most of the oil leaking, then drill another well to redirect the oil and capture it all. That second part was planned to be completed sometime in Aug. But because the government is putting so much pressure on them, they are moving faster with the whole thing.

They were adviced to check things, to not do other things, to replace other things, but they wanted to save money, so they didn't do them. They were cheap.

It needs to be a combination of solar, wind, hydro, bio, nuclear, and fusion. But not only that. We need to start decreasing our use, because if we don't do that there will be a growing energy gap between need and the amount of energy we can produce.

message 17: by Kaitie♥ (new)

Isn't it good that the Government is pressuring them, then? If it's causing BP to be faster with their actions, I would think that it would be a positive thing. I also heard on the news that they stopped the well/flow! :) I'm not sure how it is now, but I know that they checked that there were no leaks, but were not sure if the oil was flowing elsewhere below ground, for 24 hours but extended it to 48 hours to just be sure. I think that it's going well, but I haven't been following for about a week now.

Boo them

Vry true. Right now in the present, humans have been becoming more and more over dependant on energy.

You know how some people ask if humans are intelligent? A lot say no because of their bad decisions and some say yes because of so much technology. (Sorry this is so out of discussion, but I was just hinking about it). I personally thinkn that we are smart in a way of technology and future, but at the same time very dimwitted because there's so much more to technology. It's the actions that we make, which doesn't necessarily mean we're stupid, but I guess greedy?

message 18: by Violet (new)

I guess its good that the gov is putting pressure on them...but that of course could lead to them making a mistake because the gov is putting so much pressure on them to move faster that they could slip and not do something to make faster progress...but thank gosh that hasn't happened yet.

From what I've learned on NPR (no TV at my Grandmother's house which I'm vacationing at), the cap is going well. But it's not permanent, and it's not meant to be. The gov wants them to take off the cap (temporarily spilling oil into the Gulf) so they can permanently stop the well with concrete...or something like that, not really sure on the details....

Also according to NPR there are minor leaks at the sea bottom, but they are SO minor that scientists say not to worry about them.

As for the 'are humans intelligent?' question, I say yes. Just look at all we've done! We've walked on the moon for pete's sake! But humans are also normally extremely shortsighted, greedy, and hateful. All things that get us into so much trouble, and make the human race so imperfect and unable to have world peace and a perfect society.

But on a related note, that question reminds me of this converstation we had in English class in 7th grade. The teacher posed the question of 'what do you think is wrong with the world?' After much talking and pondering, the class basically came to the decision that what's wrong with the world is the human race....now I'm not so sure that's the case (in my opinion at least), so I want to know what you guys think about it.

message 19: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 90 comments We should start a different topic for that, Violet.

I think that whatever BP is going to do, they should think it through fully. I don't know if the whole crisis is over by now because I'm not up-to-date on any news, as I don't have a TV...but if it's not, I think they should focus more on doing it right than on doing it fast so the government will stop breathing down their necks. Just sayin'.

message 20: by Violet (new)

I totally agree with you Rachel (with the BP thing). That is exactly what BP should do if they don't want to A) have the government always, as you put it, 'breathing down their necks' or B) loose even more money in the clean up process.

For your information, the well is pluged and they're either almost done, or already done with drilling the relief well where they will permanently stop the leaking oil by pumping concrete into it. But there's of course still a lot of cleaning up to do...

message 21: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 90 comments Thanks for the update!!! :) If the flow is stopped...at least after the clean-up, things can start inhabiting the Gulf again o.o

message 22: by Violet (new)

Yah, but things will take a while to get back to normal...at least in the marshes.

message 23: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 90 comments And, you know, the fishermens' lives and ocean populations and such.

message 24: by Kaitie♥ (new)

I'm really glad that the cap had worked. Should we start a new discussion for your topic, Violet?

message 25: by Violet (new)

I'm sorry. Its been awhile since I've been on this group myself. What topic are you talking about Kaitie?

message 26: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 90 comments "But on a related note, that question reminds me of this converstation we had in English class in 7th grade. The teacher posed the question of 'what do you think is wrong with the world?' After much talking and pondering, the class basically came to the decision that what's wrong with the world is the human race....now I'm not so sure that's the case (in my opinion at least), so I want to know what you guys think about it. "

This, I think. :P

message 27: by Kaitie♥ (new)

I'm talking about the Oil Spill?