Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Rambo

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ray (new)

Ray | 55 comments Has anyone, or did anyone care to see Rambo? I was a huge fan as a boy when the 3 old ones came out in the 80's. I loved the stories no matter how bad they were. I think it was the time for a Rambo in the 80's. Anyway, this last movie was a disgrace. It was like watching Saving Private Ryan/Bravehart violance. Not needed! It was a total disgusting Rambo film. I don't mind violance but there is a way of shooting it (if that is the nature of the film) to get a point accross. The violance was not like that before in the prior films and they were fine. The story was very sloppy; it was just not written with plenty of thought. He acted like a big monster at some points. I loved the last Rocky film, in fact I was cheering like and Stallon wrote that as did he here. This one was just not needed and he is writting a 5th Rambo now. Does anyone agree with me?

message 2: by George (last edited Jun 04, 2008 10:45AM) (new)

George | 951 comments It's hard for me to take the film seriously enough to get too worked up. However, if you take a look at the reviews on Amazon and Netflix, it appears for some it was a sort of religious experience, or at least out of body.

Personally, I find this the least pretentious of the Rambo series, which has been pretty scurrilous all along on various levels. I think the initial story line of John Rambo, poor, misunderstood, unappreciated Vietnam War vet, who nobody will trust enough to give a decent job is a bad joke. We're supposed to just try to understand this fellow who burns the town down when he's mistreated by the local sherrif, or run away in fear and lock out doors? However, it was sort of fun, however mindless.

Rambo 2 with the nuclear tipped cruise arrows knocking out tanks was quite a giggle. None of the action with the weapons can be taken seriously. The final scene where he fires an antitank rocket out the broken window of the Huey would have toasted everyone inside, including our intrepid hero. But, it was cheery to see him rescue a few POWs in this cartoon.

Rambo 3, hmm. awful. Rambo of Afghanistan. God save us all.

Rambo 4. well, this whole series has been pretty violent. That's more or less the selling point for the movies. But he does seem to have lost his knife at last, don't know why. There was a lot of blade worship in the others. Still pretty good with a bow, though. For me the interesting moment was Stallone on the Zen of killing, I kill because that's who I am, it's what I do. No more pretention of killing for God and Country. The writers must have worked pretty hard to find a group of people Rambo could mow down in the 21st century without risking demonstrations outside movie theaters. A few scenes to help us understand why these folks just need killing. And then, Rambo standing tall, on God's side, literally, saving do-gooder evangelicals and the Christain Karen, St. Michael with a flaming 50 cal, blowing holes in people you can actually see through. Now,that's entertainment.

Stallone has to do these movies, because no one will bother to pay to see him in anything else. If he does another, I'll try to do what I did the last time, which is go during matinee hour on a week day, hoping not to be seen or at least recognized.

message 3: by Miss Kim (last edited Jun 05, 2008 09:46AM) (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) I love the original Rambo. Didn't care for any sequels. I have no desire to see this latest one because it seems silly. I agree with George on the reason Stallone has to make these movies. It's hard to see him as any other characters. Is Rambo now 65 years old? Its just like his Rocky movies. Did they really need to make 5+?