Axis Mundi X discussion

Questions of Love

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thanyachon (new)

Thanyachon (thanya) | 2 comments For me, "Love" is the most problematic word.Therefore,I read several books about love. The latest one is "By the river Piedra I sat down and wept".The one reason I choosed this book to read is that it is about two lovers who reunite each other again after long years apart.
That evening,while I sat in hammock and read,the flow of questions arose : what is "Love" ? ,and if I can love "how do I love ?" . The special question of love is reexamined in my mind along the river of life where I sat down and wept again.
For you,what are your questions of love ? And any comment any suggestion for my first two questions? Please,discuss about "Love",the word that almost people don't know its true meaning till their final scene of live.

message 3: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
"Loves makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place." - Zora Neale Hurston

"Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit." - Peter Ustinov

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. -Corinthians

You & I, Love, together we ratify the silence,
while the sea destroys its perpetual statues,
collapses its towers of wild speed and whiteness:

because in the weavings of those invisible fabrics,
galloping water, incessant sand,
we make the only permanent tenderness.
- Pablo Neruda

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
Umm... Jello wrestling... anybody?

I actually like Donna's response.

Sorry Charrisa I didn't have time to read your whole post, I've got to run.

message 5: by Thanyachon (new)

Thanyachon (thanya) | 2 comments Thank you, Charissa and Paul.
Charissa, I like your poetry that you quote from Neruda. From which book did you get it ?
On the massage ,I think you try to answer what "Love" is in the various definition. and how is the secound question " How do I love?". This is an important question,maybe,the question of how is harder than the question of what to answer.For someone,it is easier to fall in love than to keep or maintain her/his love with somebody. We often heard that people always said "I love you" ,especially,at least, on the television every nights (a romantic hollywood mouvie) But the end of story isn't a scene of marriage. In real life, it is just a beginning,isn't is ?. When I fall in love.....
---- How do I love someone ? ---
Paul, I cann't open that video,it is no longer available. :)

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony You know what I like about Char? Out of f--king nowhere she quotes the bible.

message 7: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

RA... as I have said many times, I find many parts of the Bible both beautiful and profound. That happens to be one of my favorite passages. It's poetry.

Taken as metaphor, the Bible has much wisdom to offer. As do:

Bhagavad Gita
Bahai Texts
Buddhist Texts
Confucian Texts
Corpus Hermeticum
Dead Sea Scrolls
Divrei Torah
Enuma Elish
Ethiopian Texts
The Egyptian Book of the Dead
Gnostic Texts
Hindu Texts
Islamic Texts
Jain Texts
1st and 2nd Books of Jeu
Nag Hammadi Texts
Pistis Sophia
Taoist Texts
Sepher Yetzirah
Shinto Texts
Sikh Texts
Tibetan Book of the Dead
Urantia Book
Zen Texts
Zoroastrian Texts

message 9: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Paul... love may burn you when it's hot, just like a stove, but if I couldn't get a hot meal now and then, it would be a sadder planet.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony And Char follows up her bible quotes with that...you see, THAT'S why I love her.

message 11: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

antone: <3 <3 <3

message 12: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
I love Charissa because she's a worthy adversary in a debate. Whew!

message 13: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

LOL... thanks Jackie... thanks for going toe to toe with me. It's a rare pleasure. : )

message 14: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Is "worthy adversary in a debate" code for "pain in the ass"?

ducks

message 15: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

oh my god... this is embarrassing. :::goes and hides:::

message 16: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Great. Her fucking head is going to be HUGE. I'm terrified.

message 17: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jun 03, 2008 07:47PM) (new)

RandomAnthony Hhahahahahahahahahaha....

That was awesome, Donna. I'm a sucker for a good "do him" joke. I'm serious. Sometimes I miss teaching middle school. Nobody where I work now laughs at comments like that.

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Well said, Charly. I do tell my kids I love them every single day. And my wife every now and then, too.

But I also think I show Char I love her by busting her balls (metaphorically, of course) when the opportunity arises. Just don't tell her I said so.

message 19: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

I have metaphorical balls? Do I get to wear a metaphorical ballgown? Are there metaphorical waltzes?

I'll write you in on my dance card.

Now stop it you guys... I'm blushing like a madwoman over here.

message 20: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Just one of many things Char does like a madwoman...remember, this is a woman who buries her chili.

message 21: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

:::bites RA:::

message 22: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

You could wear a real ballgown, if you wanted, Charissa. I do!

message 23: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Sorry, Charly, I don't follow...

message 24: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 576 comments Seth, you comment is true to a degree, apart from the men who beat women, the women who beat children and the children who self harm - I would say that these people don't know how to love anyone including themselves (apart from the children - they don't love themselves)

For me love is something that occurs at different levels, like the way you love your family but yet they drive you mad 99% of the time. The love you have for your friends, the way they know how to make you feel better when you feel down. The love you feel for you partner - a love that you think will never die but needs every now and then to have the flame heated a bit more to regain the feels you had at the beginning. The one thing all these different types of love have in common is that you love these people no matter what - no matter how much they hurt you that love you have from them never goes away, even if you don't like them very much for hurting you.

message 25: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant James Joyce, Ulysses:

Well, says John Wyse. Isn't that what we're told. Love your neighbour.

Love loves to love love. Nurse loves the new chemist. Constable 14 A loves Mary Kelly. Gerty MacDowell loves the boy that has the bicycle.
M. B. loves a fair gentleman. Li Chi Han lovey up kissy Cha Pu Chow. Jumbo, the elephant, loves Alice, the elephant. Old Mr Verschoyle with the
ear trumpet loves old Mrs Verschoyle with the turnedin eye. The man in the brown macintosh loves a lady who is dead. His Majesty the King loves Her Majesty the Queen. Mrs Norman W. Tupper loves officer Taylor. You love a certain person. And this person loves that other person because everybody loves somebody but God loves everybody.

message 26: by Willie (new)

Willie | 57 comments Love an attachment/connection felt towards someone(s). Different types of love, different types of relationships, different people. A person’s ability to love is an expression of themselves. A person’s ability to love has a direct relationship with the attachment and connection felt with his/her self. Each person has their own definitions of the types of love that they want in their lives. A couple may not be well matched if they have opposite ideas of what the love that they want in their life together looks like. If one person is wanting love to be passionate, enduring, endearing, caring, thoughtful and magnanimous and the other is wanting love to be calm, peaceful, independent, autonomous, and free then they are obviously not wanting the same thing. If a person does not have a healthy attachment/connection/outlook of themselves than they are likely to not know what they want and are likely to base their love on external elements rather than internal attachments, desires, and commitments. I always thought a key element with love and relationships is to know what you want and to feel you deserve it…if you don’t you’re sol.

message 27: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant Yes Charissa, may I add a few humble words of my own - you have shown us a woman who can be tiny like a little mouse, not a big mouse, and huge like the planet Uranus, who soars like the eagliest of all eagles and yet who burrows with the loamy creatures of the wild tundra; whose passion is a symphony of quite expensive fireworks, yet whose smile is like a sunny day in the middle of several days when it looked like it was going to rain and we had to put off the trip to see Grandma; and yet whose political acumen could very easily rewrite the constitution of the British Labour Party; and yet whose delicate poetical sensitivity is a legend of the internet; your compassion; your ability to balance three bulky parcels on your head at any one time; your uncanny ability to tame wild seabirds, especially, for some reason, the cormorant; your insightful choice of wallpaper; your skill with the unicycle; and your astonishing recipes which make even boiled rubber gloves taste of heaven; for these things and many more, we love you.

message 28: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Cormorants? Charissa, I had no idea!

message 29: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Dearest Paul... and when I finally learn to not only balance three bulky parcels on my head *while* displaying my skill with the unicycle... then and only then... shall I be worthy of your esteemed admiration.

(I have no idea how he found out about the Cormorants... I've been outted!)

xoxoxoxoxo

message 30: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

I've only had luck with shorebirds, myself...

message 31: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

aw shucks you guys. I'm overwhelmed.

<3 <3 <3

welcome back Mimi!

message 32: by Noran (last edited Jun 05, 2008 12:43AM) (new)

Noran Miss Pumkin paul, i have enjoyed your posts here, whimsy with the last. i applaud one and all too. hard to capture something you cannot see, but feel so strongly and deeply. i just know i finally got it right.