Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Does anyone like Baseball history? Sally and Heidi still do!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1034 comments I do.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I want to hear about good baseball history books...

message 3: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Yes.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments uh, i live and breathe baseball. i am a sports junkie but baseball is my drug of choice. i have a baseball statistics app on my phone where i can look all the individual and team stats back to 1800's. if you have not seen the baseball series by ken burns, you HAVE to.

message 5: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1034 comments I would like for everyone to post their favorite team's all-time great team by position.

I haven't read a baseball history book since I was a kid. I do read boxing history now though.

I have not seen Ken Burns series. I will have to.

I forever look up baseball statistics and I am always thinking up ways to rank players. For example, the best by decade.

So, I will post my all-time Phillies team as soon as I get a chance.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments A Must Have Baseball Stats/History Book:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59...

An Excellent Book About True Hero's:
http://www.amazon.com/When-Baseball-W...

I got this DVD series at my library and my whole family got hooked on it. Must see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball...

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments I will work on my cubbies team :)

message 8: by Heidi (last edited May 07, 2010 09:15AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I love Seth Swirsky's baseball letters books - some interesting history to be found in there.

My roommate buys/sells/trades baseball cards during his spare time - he's got a v. impressive collection. He's a hardcore Red Sox fan. He made a pilgrimage, of sorts, about a year and a half ago to meet up with Boo Ferris down at the Shack Up Inn in Mississippi. They'd corresponded a few times and he wanted to meet him because he was getting on up in years. He got some neat, neat pictures while there.

message 9: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I think you can't talk baseball books without discussing Ball Four. Easily the funniest, most brutally honest account of life in the majors. And I read it every couple of years. Love it.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments agreed. terrific book. one of the first sports expose style reads

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments Do I like baseball history? Well, I like the Dodgers and the Mariners, and they're both history this year.

message 12: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments "Ball Four" is top notch, Gus. I also like Roger Angell's books, which are extremely well written and filled with terrific observations about the sport. "Once More Around the Park" is probably the best of them, but he wrote several others. He passed away about two years ago, will be missed.

message 14: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Oh, yes, Laura, I read that book as well. Outstanding stuff. I lived through that tumultuous year, so it was all very vivid and familiar to me.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura Auricchio | 6 comments I lived through it too! And remember it vividly. The HBO mini-series was terrific as well. I loved John Tuturro as Billy Martin!

message 16: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1034 comments I am going to put the all-time great team, regardless of a particular team, by position together hopefully tomorrow and post it. Two obvious choices for it are Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth.

Then I will work on the Phillies all time team. That is a much harder task.

message 17: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Looking forward to seeing your post, Arminius. I think I did something similar a long while ago; I'll see about digging it up, so we can compare and argue.

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i am going to do my cubs team today. is this our fav players for that team or putting a team together to make a run at the championship?

message 19: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1034 comments Here is my all-time great team:

Pitcher 1 Walter Johnson
Pitcher 2 Christy Mathewson
Pitcher 3 Grover Cleveland Alexander
Pitcher 4 Eddie Plank
Position Player
Cather Mickey Cochrane
First Base Lou Gehrig
Second Base Nap Lajoie
Third Base Mike Schmidt
Short Stop Honus Wagner
Left Field Ted Williams
Center Field Ty Cobb
Right Field Babe Ruth
DH Hank Aaron

message 20: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1034 comments For Books: Roger Kahn's "Boys of Summer" especially if you are a Dodger's fan.

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i will prob do a cubs team and then a "my era" team

message 22: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1034 comments I will do a phillies team. I will also try a phillies team by decade or quarter century or something along those lines. I might try some other teams as well.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Here is my Cubs team

1B - Mark Grace
2B - Ryne Sandberg
3B - Ron Santo
SS - Ernie Banks
LF - Billy Williams
CF - Hack Wilson
RF - Andre Dawson
C - Gabby Hartnett
SP1 - Ferguson Jenkins
SP2 - Greg Maddux
RP - Bruce Sutter

message 24: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1034 comments Good list Jim.

I think Ernie has a good shot at making my second string all-time great team at shortstop.
He hit more than 40 homeruns four straight years.

Fergie was awesome he had six straight 20 Win seasons with the Cubs.

Maddux was the best pitcher of the 199O's.

message 25: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Nice list, Arminius. I might have chosen Johnny Bench as catcher: his stats don't rival Cochrane's, but it's sometimes hard to compare statistics from different eras in the sport, and Bench was definitely a game-changer on the field. Also, Sandy Koufax might make a good addition to the pitching rotation--but, again, all-in-all a great list.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree that it is a nice list Arminius. As far as Sandy Koufax is concerned, the only drawback seems to be that he retired so early, and like Barry Sanders he always left me wondering what would have been had he continued.

Sadly, Maddux was the best pitcher of the '90s, but after winning one Cy Young with the Cubs, he did most of his damage with the Braves.

message 27: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Agreed regarding SK's durability. With various joint and circulation problems, continuing to pitch wasn't really an option for him after '66. But he went out very close to the top of his game and was just unbelievably dominant during the early 1960s. Great pitcher, even if he did play for the Dodgers...

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments btw - reading High Heat currently. a great baseball book about the fastball. highly recommend. lots about walter johnson, sandy, nolan and many others.

message 29: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I have a weird crush on Joe Pepitone.

message 30: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1034 comments I neglected Rogers Hornsby who deserves top rank at second. Nap has to move to the second string.

SK was great but he had a short career.

message 31: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i have a little crush on Scott Podsednik's wife

(worth the research)

message 32: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "i have a little crush on Scott Podsednik's wife

(worth the research)"

Not me, man. I don't go for the false frontage.

message 33: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Ken Burns Baseball is a MUST! My daughter and I have made a tradition of going to Rockies home opener the last 5 seasons. I try to watch Ken Burns in February to get pumped up for the season. Love the stories about the Negro Leagues, in fact read one not long ago and I will come up with the title...it was actually targeted at kids, but had awesome illustrations. Ubaldo Jimenez is the only thing holding my Rockies together right now. Talk about high heat!!

message 34: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) The name of the book is, We Are The Ship by Kadir Nelson. check it out

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments ms.petra wrote: "The name of the book is, We Are The Ship by Kadir Nelson. check it out"

Oh! I saw Kadir at PLA a couple of months ago, talking about that book. He worked on that book for seven YEARS, interviewed the surviving players, researched everything from uniforms to the layout of the stadium, to even the ads on the backstops.

It won several awards, and it's a beautiful labor of love. It had a roomful of librarians, not known for being sports fans, completely engrossed and moved.

message 36: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "ms.petra wrote: "The name of the book is, We Are The Ship by Kadir Nelson. check it out"

Oh! I saw Kadir at PLA a couple of months ago, talking about that book. He worked on that book for seven ..."

It is on my to buy list. I just loved the illustrations. Glad to know someone else who enjoyed it.

message 37: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1034 comments My Phillies Team:

1B Ryan Howard
2B Nap Lajoie
3b Mike Schmidt
SS Larry Bowa
OF Ed Delahanty
OF Rich Ashburn
OF Chuck Klein
C Bob Boone
P Grover Cleveland Alexander
P Robin Roberts
P Steve Carlton
P Jim Bunning
RP Jim Konstanty

It contains 9 Hall of famers.

message 38: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments this is my cubbies team. these guys are only from my era meaning i watched them play at least on TV and followed their careers. billy williams was the only stretch as i only saw him in his last few yrs

1B Mark Grace
2B Ryne Sandberg
3b Ron Santo (despite what a hack he is in the booth)
SS Shawon Dunston (i know but ernie was not from my era)
OF Andre Dawson
OF Jerome Walton (he was fun for a minute)
OF Billy Williams
C Jody Davis
P Greg Maddox
P Fergie Jenkins
P Rick Sutcliffe
RP Bruce Sutter
Mgr Don "Popeye" Zimmerer (not a great coach but a great baseball guy)

message 39: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17338 comments Mod
LOLLER COASTER I NEVER EVER READ THIS THREAD.

message 40: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments sally posted on a sports thread sally posted on a sports thread sally posted on a sports thread sally posted on a sports thread sally posted on a sports thread

you DO like sports. you really do!

message 41: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sally wrote: "LOLLER COASTER I NEVER EVER READ THIS THREAD."

Did you like my new title, Sally? :)

message 42: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments OH DANG! YOU CHANGED IT!

message 43: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17338 comments Mod
Who did? Not me!

message 44: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sally wrote: "Who did? Not me!"

Well, it was either you or Arminius or RA or me... and RA's traveling and Arminius has been noticeably absent and I most definitely can affirm that I didn't do it. So it must've been you. :)

message 45: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1034 comments Instead of the all time great team of each team we can also do an all time favorite players team regardless of how great they were.

Here is a team of my favorite Phillies. I have seen some play and others I have read about.

1B Willie Montanez
2B Manny Trillo
3B Dave Hollins
SS Granny Hamner
OF Gravvy Cravath
OF Sherry Magee
OF Del Ennis
C Daren Daulten

P Charlie Buffington
P Chris Short
P John Denny
CL Willie Hernandez

message 46: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments manny trillo may have made my cubs list of fav players too. he said one of my fav baseball quotes of all time:

"The best thing about baseball is that you can do something about yesterday tomorrow."

my list basically was a list of my fav cubs as i left off some greats in place of guys who i liked. i may add mitch williams as a reliever i liked because every outing was an adventure. larry bowa was another fav cub who could be on a philly fav list also.

message 47: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1034 comments The Cubs and Phils have so many good players that played with both teams.

Fergie Jenkins and Ryne Sandberg started with the Phillies. Mitch Williams was good with the Cubs and Phils. Manny was a great second baseman. Bowa was the best shortstop of the 1970's. Better defensively than Concepcion and as good offensively.

message 48: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yup. gary mathews was another

message 49: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1034 comments That's right. He is our television analyst now.

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura Auricchio | 6 comments ms.petra wrote: "Ken Burns Baseball is a MUST! "

Someone was just telling me about the Ken Burns Baseball series this morning. He said that Jesse Jackson's eulogy of Jackie Robinson brought tears to his eyes. I'll definitely add this to the Netflix queue.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.