SDMB - Straight Dope discussion

Top Three Favorite Books

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jodi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Jodi | 6 comments Hey, Doper-Readers! Would you each please list your top three favorite books? I know it's hard to limit ourselves to just three, but I'd like to get a sense for everyone's absolute favorite books -- so I can read them, of course!

My top three:

"A Soldier Of The Great War," by Mark Helprin

"A Prayer For Owen Meaney," by John Irving

"e", by Matthew Beaumont -- hilarious, and a very quick read.

Also, our group needs an avatar picture. Any ideas???

Happy reading, everyone!

message 2: by Smokinjbc (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Smokinjbc | 12 comments Great idea! (I never had so many friends, makes my myspace page look pathetic :) )

My top three:

"Lonesome Dove & Dead Man's Walk" by Larry McMurtry (I think of them as one)

"Trainspotting" by Irvine Welsh

"Nop's Trials" by Donald Macaig

message 3: by Libby (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Libby (whatsherbutt) | 2 comments I tend to change my mind a lot, but my current top three are:

"The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear" by Walter Moers

"Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte

"The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles" by Haruki Murakami

Must... resist... urge... to add... fourth...

message 4: by Pam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Pam | 87 comments Just three? I'm choosing these three because they exceeded my expectations. I've read tons of historicals, vampire books, and westerns, and these three books enhanced those genres.

English Passengers -- speaking of which, why isn't Twickster here?

Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford by Ron Hansen

message 5: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Sarah | 7 comments Hmm, maybe I could list a favorite book from each genre I read . . . but, no, there is not enough time. Let me sum up.

1. Freedom & Necessity by Steven Brust and Emma Bull -- Ah, man, it's got everything. Political intrigue, sorta-kinda incest, Marxists (well, Engels, at least), opium fiends, Corn Laws . . . the list goes on. Amazing female lead character.

2. Villette by Charlotte Bronte -- To Jane Eyre what Persuasion is to Pride & Prejudice.

3. Sabriel by Garth Nix -- Absolutely my favorite YA fantasy novel, if only by virtue of the fact that the title character is not the stereotypical female fantasy hero.

message 6: by Libby (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Libby (whatsherbutt) | 2 comments I had forgotten about "Villette"! Dagnabit.

message 7: by Julie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Julie Three. Three. Three?

Er...

1. Gaudy Night, by Dorothy L Sayers
2. Charlotte's Web, by EB White
3. The Scarlet Pimpernel, by Emmuska Orczy

message 8: by Mark (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Mark Flack | 15 comments Hrm. 3, huh?

Annie Proulx, That Old Ace in the Hole.
Peter Ackroyd, London, A Biography
James Ellroy, LA Confidential

(mainly 'cos I read these fairly recently and enjoyed them most... :-) )

message 9: by Ryl (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Ryl (rylf) | 29 comments Just three? Curse your limitations!

1. Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
2. The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley
3. Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey

message 10: by Valerie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Valerie Like everyone else, I'm having a hard time choosing just three. Ask me again tomorrow and the list might be completely different!
1. Main Street, Sinclair Lewis. I adore Sinclair Lewis and think too few people are reading him these days. I encourage people to give him a try. I've read three of his books so far (Main Street, Babbitt, Arrowsmith) and am working on a fourth. This one's still my favorite so far.
2. Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte. This book is like comfort food for the eyes to me. I still get chills when I read the last page.
3. On the Road, Jack Kerouac. The book I love that everyone else seems to hate. I can't help it, this book just spoke to me.

message 11: by Twickster (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Twickster | 6 comments Top three favorites EVER? Jeez freakin' Louise -- that's 48 years' worth of reading to pick and choose from.... sigh. I'm going to go with the three I loved at the time I read them [read at a breakneck pace because they were so good -- till the last 100 pages, when I slowed to a crawl because I didn't want them to be over:], am still recommending now, and would take with me if I were going on a long, long trip and could only take three books with me.

1. "English Passengers": Because it really is that good.

2. "The Song of the Dodo" by David Quammen. Ties together travel and natural history; big, big questions presented in an immediate and focussed context -- an amazing read.

3. "The Mists of Avalon"

message 12: by rockle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

rockle | 3 comments I don't know my three favorite books EVER, because it changes every 10 minutes, but my three favorite books for right now are:

(1) "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" by Christopher Moore

(2) "The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death." by Gene Weingarten

(3) "The House at Pooh Corner" by A.A. Milne.

message 13: by Emma (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Emma | 3 comments Picking favourites is hard. Do I go for cross-genre appreciation, or books that I can read over and over, or books that maybe I've only read once but stayed in my mind for weeks...?
In no particular order, may I present:
The Book Thief - Markus Zuzack.
Iron Council - China Mieville
We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will be Killed With Our Families - Philip Gourevitch (which is a macabre choice, but was so haunting and eye-opening that I have to include it)

message 14: by Maria (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Maria | 2 comments Hmmmm...
And Then There Were None, my favorite Agatha Christie.
Good Omens; Neil Gaiman really adds something to Terry Pratchett, it's hilarious and yet also interesting.
Lyonesse; it has this kind of old-world feel. I think Jack Vance mostly writes sci-fi otherwise.

message 15: by Jamie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Jamie Collins (jamie_goodreads) | 76 comments It's very hard to say, except that Dune is always in my top three. Two of my favorites from the last couple of years are Sunshine, by Robin McKinley and Cordelia's Honor, by Lois McMaster Bujold (which is cheating because it contains two novels, Shards of Honor and Barrayar).

message 16: by What Exit? (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

What Exit? | 11 comments The Lord of the Rings: J.R.R. Tolkien

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress: Robert Heinlein

The Hobbit: J.R.R. Tolkien

message 17: by Dani (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Dani (kakwik) | 48 comments Three? Dang.

"Winter's Tale" by Mark Helprin.

"Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett

"Babi-Yar" by Anatoli Kuznetsov

message 18: by Dora (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Dora | 41 comments OK, this is difficult. How about these:

1) "Like Water for Chocolate," by Laura Esquivel
2) "Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant," by Anne Tyler
3) "To Kill a Mockingbird," by Harper Lee.

My favorites change frequently, too, but these are books that I've read several times and have continued to like.

GT

message 19: by Moneira (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:50PM) (new)

Moneira (msalic) | 1 comments If we're not counting series:

1) 2001: A Space Odyssey (Arthur C. Clarke)

2) Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)

I don't know why I can't remember the third.

message 20: by Christine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Christine McCann | 1 comments I don't believe in favorites! Seriously, there is no way to pick so few, and say, these are THE ONES.

Off the top of my head, for today, here are some tops for me:

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
The Stand, Stephen King
The biggest compendium of H.P. Lovecraft you can find

I'm basing this mostly on re-readability. Plus it's October now, so I've got scary stuff on the brain. Ask me again next month, I'll have a different list.

Plus, I'm adding one non-fiction: Letter to a Christian Nation, by Sam Harris.

message 21: by bup (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:59PM) (new)

bup Like others posting, I agree that 3 is an impossible goal; however:

1) Crime and Punishment - I can't believe how this novel moves from feeling so hopeless to feel so redemptive. This is a novel to read just to see the power a novel can have - just what the novelist can do in a work.

2) To Kill a Mockingbird - It may be the great American novel. So direct, simple, powerful, and American. The only thing it's missing is 'epic.' The only reason its protagonist isn't the American hero is because he's not named 'Batman.'

3) Pride and Prejudice - the greatest character-driven novel I've ever read.

message 22: by Scareyfaerie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:59PM) (new)

Scareyfaerie | 3 comments Just three favourites? But mine change pretty much from day to day! Probably the three books I'm most likely to read again and again then...

1. Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake. OK, so it's technically a trilogy but you could get by just reading book one...but I bet you'd be hooked!

2. Here Be Dragons by Sharon Penman - a good bit of historical fiction and lots of fun, if you don't get bogged down in the details of how the Welsh name their kids.

3. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. No reason, I just like it and I think it's a great story.

message 23: by Miscue (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:59PM) (new)

Miscue | 2 comments I see someone cheated with the idea of 'the biggest compendium of ... you can find'. I like that idea, so I'll steal it.

1. Billy Bathgate, E.L. Doctorow
2. A Confederacy of Dunces, John Kennedy Toole
3. The Biggest Compendium of Steinbeck's Short
Stories You Can Find