Tess Gerritsen Fans discussion

Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
This topic is about Vanish

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 568 comments Mod
I've finished re-reading Body Double and started re-reading Vanish. Vanish is book 5 in the series and was originally published in 2005.

Vanish (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #5) by Tess Gerritsen Vanish (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #5) by Tess Gerritsen
Vanish by Tess Gerritsen

This story takes place soon after Body Double. At the end of Body Double, Jane is 8 months pregnant and as Vanish opens Jane is still pregnant :-) Ice Cold takes place 2 years after Body Double.

There is a fictional company in Vanish called Ballentree which seems to be similar to the real-life Haliburton which Dick Cheney is connected to. Ballentree gets government contracts for war. "War is profit" and also has sub companies etc. Interesting that Ballentree is only 3 letters difference from Tess's Publisher Ballantine :-)

"I never had to worry about anyone else before, about what I could lose. I didn't know it would scare me so much. Now, I've got this big exposed Achilles heel, and all I can think about is how to protect it."

"You can't protect it," she said. "It's just something you have to live with. It's what happens when you have a family."

"It's too much to lose."

-Vanish, Chapter 33

The ending is pretty intense - and there's plenty of intense happenings before then too :-)

If you like Vanish, try this one:
The Siege (Alan Gregory, #17) by Stephen White
The Siege by Stephen White

Both books have a similar storyline dealing with a hostage situation. And if you are gonna read Stephen White, you may as well join the Stephen White - Alan Gregory group which is one of 3 groups that I moderate :-)

Vanish is one of my favorites of the series, but I think my very favorite is The Keepsake(2008) which I'll be re-reading soon :-)

Vanish is now a mini-group read for the month of January 2012 - Feel free to join in :-)

Tracy Now DC, I am waiting for this one to come in the mail as well. I should be getting it in the next day or so but I have the other two to read first so I will probable start on this in a week or two.

I'm planning on reading Vanish before The Key to Midnight. Vanish is the next audiobook I'll probably start because I've already had it from the library for a while.

Tracy Well I might have to start The Key to Midnight first because I still have not got Vanish. I don't know what is taking so long. Usually I get them in a couple of days but it has been a week. Hmmm.

I have started listening to Vanish, but I'm not very far into the story yet.

Tracy I still don't have my book! Ugghh

Tracy I guess I will go to the library Monday and get it.

This book is very good - listened to a bit of the audiobook last night - creepy :-) just like I like.

Tracy WhooHoo! Mine just came in the mail so I will be joining you DC.

Alrighty then :-) this one seems to be pretty intense, so you'll probably get hooked quickly. Chapter One has some background information for the story and then in Chapter Two Maura is in the Medical Examiner's office finishing up her day with dead bodies and she's getting tired and then it gets CREEPY...that's where I left off :-)

Tracy Cool DC, can't wait

Chapter 3 has Jane Rizzoli giving testimony in a courtroom related to a previous case she worked. This is interesting to me because this is similar to what we see Maura do in Chapter 2 of The Silent Girl.

Brenda Are these spoilers DC for those who haven't read it?

Brenda wrote: "Are these spoilers DC for those who haven't read it?"

Just Teasers :-) I will mark any spoilers.

Brenda OK then! :)

Tracy After getting my book I started right away. I am about 40% done.

Tracy How are you doing with this one DC. I can't seem to get it finished and I'm sure its because I know how it ends. Its one of her better stories and I can remember it so well.

Avid Series Reader (msbooties) Oh ho...calm cool collected Maura gets creeped out, in her own "domain" (chapter 2)! I like the abrupt action beginnings in this series.

Tracy DC are you in here?

message 27: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Schneider (jaschneider) | 13 comments Which do you prefer, Vanish or The Keepsake?

J.A. wrote: "Which do you prefer, Vanish or The Keepsake?"

I prefer The Keepsake :-)

Tracy I would agree with DC, I prefer The Keepsake as well.

Tracy wrote: "I would agree with DC, I prefer The Keepsake as well."

You are a smartie :-)

Tracy Why thank you sir.

message 32: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Schneider (jaschneider) | 13 comments Does anyone have a problem with the middle third of Vanish? To me that part reads sloooow. I'm happy to see that it picks up after that, but I love medical thrillers that are fast-paced...throughout.

Is it me? Does anyone agree?

I don't remember, but you'll love The Keepsake - I thought that one was quite fast-paced which is one of the main reasons it's my favorite of the series - that and the fact that I like the story material :-) but Vanish is among my favorites too - probably my 3rd favorite in the series - there are some real intense scenes in Vanish that I will never forget.

message 34: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Schneider (jaschneider) | 13 comments Thanks, Dustin! So ok I'll continue with Vanish and then read The Keepsake.What is your second favorite? Do you like best medical thrillers in general? I just wrote a doozie.

Hmm...fast-paced...now I can't wait for The Keepsake. Thanks again, Dustin, take care :)

My second favorite in the Rizzoli & Isles series is Ice Cold. My favorite stand-alone by Tess Gerritsen is The Bone Garden.

I like fast-paced, suspense, thrillers or books that are really inspiring in some way - not necessarily medical thrillers :-)

My favorite author is Dean Koontz. Another favorite is Dan Chaon.