Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Archived/Extinct Discussions > Your Romance Reading Guilty Pleasures

Comments Showing 1-50 of 142 (142 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited May 05, 2010 09:36AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 9734 comments Mod
Okay, I don't really like to call reading preferences guilty pleasures, because I don't think we should feel ashamed for reading what we like. But, I'll go ahead and use that term, since there seems to be this pervasive sense of guilt about certain themes.

So...What are your guilty pleasures when it comes to romance? If you don't want to think of it that way, what are preferences that others might raise an eyebrow at? You won't be judged. If you have things you don't want to share, don't feel like you have to. I'm not talking deepest, darkest secrets. I'm talking more along the lines of themes.

message 2: by Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (last edited May 05, 2010 09:32AM) (new)

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) Great thread...

I'm not ashamed to say that I like some BDSM. No mutilation or anything that hardcore but I like bondage and a little pain with the pleasure. I also just recently started enjoying subplots with M&M. For example, Blay and Qhuinn from Black Dagger Brotherhood have blown me away with their story.

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited May 05, 2010 09:37AM) (new)

My reading guilty pleasures (in other words, I am likely to pull this book of the shelf and buy, no matter what!):

*Heroes who are really 'bad' (as you all know)
--particularly assassins, or seemingly unredeemable types
*Captive/Kidnap theme
*Forced Seduction
*Sheikh Romance
*Harlequin Presents (for the Drama with a capital 'D')
*Forced Marriage (you must marry me or I'll put your family on the street)
*Tortured heroes
*Scarred/Less than Perfect characters
*Shotgun Weddings (Must marry b/c we got caught in a compromising position or a baby is on the way)
*Stalkerific (super possessive/jealous/obsessed heroes)
*British heroes
*Exotic locations
*Pirate/Desert romances
*Plain Jane w/o the makeover
*Fated to be Mated Theme (hero and heroine are destined to be mates)
*Werewolf romance
*I'm not ashamed, but I am a terrible Black Dagger Brotherhood addict--I think I need help!
*Virgin heroes
*Cowboy romances
*Celibate heroes
*Nerdy heroes
*Faerie theme
*Mythology/Folklore theme
*Pregnancy occurs during the romance book
*Modern virgin heroine
*Old Maid/Spinster/Wall-flower heroine
*Surly/Grumpy heroes who are more or less hermits

I'm sure I'll think of more

message 4: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 269 comments Some sort of romance with consummation, the hotter the better. And over the last year I've found I like Erotica, but then I never really read it before. And M/M romances don't have me blushing like I thought they would. I've yet to read a F/F romance book. I love the paranormal romance stuff too.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenlopez1283) | 84 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "Some sort of romance with consummation, the hotter the better. And over the last year I've found I like Erotica, but then I never really read it before. And M/M romances don't have me blushing li..."

you know i have never read a m/m paranormal, much less a romance book before,the extent of my experience there is qhuin and blay, i have one on my tbr but it seems the book is not easy to find, i have to admit im curious, any suggestions?

message 6: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 269 comments Amy Lane's Vulnerable was really good and I thought handled it really well. There's a little in J.R. Ward's Brotherhood books and romance without a lot of descriptions in the Riley Jenson series.

message 7: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) My guilty pleasures are Diana Palmers Special Forces books once in awile,but even more so is her Cattleman`s Choice.
This is a turnaround on her usual guy strings heroine along for yrs.,this lady strung him along for 7 yrs and the whole book is page after page of sexual tension,but no sex scene till the very last pages and since a person already knows what is going to happen they can skip that scene,
I`ve always said Palmer can make these so called erotica writers look like kindergardners when it comes to the sex scenes(minus the unusual stuff) ,and nobodys better with the sexual tension because it`s based on love.
And there are loving feelings thru the whole book,every step of the way with the sexual tension-like hand in hand.
This is one of my read every yr books since I`ve been about 13 y. o.

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I could not agree with you more about Diana Palmer, Kathy Anne. I love her books, and she excels with sexual tension and chemistry.

message 9: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 4143 comments Mod
My guilty pleasure:

- Tension. I love tension. The more intense the better. (I'm not really talking about sexual tension.)

- FBI Agents, CIA Agents (I use to pick up a book and if it said that the hero was an FBI or CIA agent, I would buy it. If the back cover and/or prologue catch my attention). I'll read other type of lawman books if it's a catcher. All the books have to be a catcher and the hero has to be a good bad boy. (I'll include Bodyguards and Navy Seals in this tab.)

- Nerds. I like when a hero is a nerd.

- Best friends turn lovers. The book has to be a good catcher.

- Bad boy with a sweet heart. (Assassins, etc.)

If I think of more later, I will share them.

message 10: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 241 comments Regency romanaces are my guilty pleasure.

And I've started reading some erotica too. The book I'm reading just now isn't that great though and reads like a bog standard romance with a little bit of BDSm in order to try and shock.

message 11: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments I like M/M, M/M/F erotica. And even erotica with a straight couples with some BDSM mixed in.

message 12: by Arch (new)

- Virgin heroes
- Virgin heroines
- Sweet Romance

message 13: by Fani *loves angst* (last edited May 05, 2010 10:09PM) (new)

Fani *loves angst* (fanip) - Assassins, dangerous heroes. I'm gonna buy a book with such a hero anytime
- Beauty and the Beast. I absolutely love that theme
- Forced/Fake/Shotgun weddings
- Forced seduction/Bodice rippers *blushes*
- Tortured/scarred heroes
- Unrequited love from the hero's part, especially if he believes (wrongly or rightly so) the heroine to be in love with another. This is an 'autobuy' theme for me
- Drama, angst, tension
- Heroes with cynical/dark/self-deprecating humor
- Amnesia theme

message 14: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 688 comments Funny/comedic tone British writing.

I'm a goner for that, and even if the book seems to be about 'nothing', I'll read it coz I just love the wit of the Brits and it kinda makes me feel like being back in England.

message 15: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 241 comments Sophie Kinsella is good at writing that sort of stuff. Twenties Girl was brilliant!

message 16: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 688 comments Gem H aka *Dhelirious* wrote: "Sophie Kinsella is good at writing that sort of stuff. Twenties Girl was brilliant!"

Yup, yup! Loved The Undomestic Goddess, and the Shopaholic series too. Can You Keep A Secret? too was nice.

I've found Adelle Parks to write that kind of funny/sassy theme too.

And how can I forget Jill Mansell??? She's one of my fave writers. You start a book with a certain set of circumstances and by the end it will have gone up and around a few times and the cast of characters is always a riot!

Marian Keyes writes the same kind of stuff but hers is Irish, but it does have the same good-read feel to it.

But if you want gritty London, East End stuff with underworld themes and families, no one does it better than Martina Cole. I love, love, love her stuff. She's gritty like a Martin Scorcese thriller but there is always that strong heroine dimension in there. I usually devour her books.

message 17: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 241 comments There is a new shopaholic book out this year with Beckys daughter taking on the mantle as a mini shopoholic

message 18: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 688 comments Gem H aka *Dhelirious* wrote: "There is a new shopaholic book out this year with Beckys daughter taking on the mantle as a mini shopoholic"

Oh dear! Lol, gotta see that one!

message 19: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Fani wrote: "- Assassins, dangerous heroes. I'm gonna buy a book with such a hero anytime
- Beauty and the Beast. I absolutely love that theme
- Forced/Fake/Shotgun weddings
- Forced seduction/Bodice rippers *b..."

Fani, your list sounds like mine! :)

message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Let me add:
*Russian heroes
*Warriors or soldiers/military heroes

Fani *loves angst* (fanip) Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Fani, your list sounds like mine! :) "

Glad to hear Danielle I'm not alone out there:)
By the way, I'm having a huge craving lately for unrequited love stories -from the hero's part mind you- and B&B themes. If you can think of any, please tell me!

message 22: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Fani, here's my unrequited shelf:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

And here is my scarred hero shelf:

I would consider B&B theme to be under scarred hero shelf.

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Some of the unrequited books are for the heroine being the one longing. You might also check out this shelf:

I would consider some of them unrequited.

Fani *loves angst* (fanip) Thanks Danielle:)

message 25: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

You're welcome!

message 26: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 164 comments Hm...this is a tough one. I ONLY read PNR and highander romance so I guess we'll start there:

~ANYTHING PNR. I'm a ridiculous addict.

~Most Highlander Romances and if there's something paranormal in there that's even better

~Forced marriages (it's good for the clan/family/children/lively hood of the world)

~Normally I'm not interested in the m/m stuff but JR Ward writes Qhuinn and Blay so beautifully that I can't help myself! Not sure how I'd feel about it from another author though...

~Heroes with tortured pasts with an angelic/soft/kind heroine (i.e. Zsadist, Zarek, Tegan, etc., etc.) are a must have in every series!

~FTBM series

I think that's pretty much it right now...I'm sure I have many many others. ;)

message 27: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Courtney, what's FTBM? I feel like I should know what it is, but I'm drawing a blank. I like your list. :)

message 28: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 164 comments LOL Sorry. "Fated to be Mated"

message 29: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Oh, I knew I should have known that. Thanks!

message 30: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 164 comments hehehe. I'm still learning a lot of the short hand for things so most of the time, in these threads, I'm completely lost. I'm getting better though! ;)

message 31: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Me too!

message 32: by ReeCee (new)

ReeCee | 38 comments *Marriage of Convenience (of course they fall in love)
*Totured Hero (doesn't think he is good enough for the heroine)
*Jealous heroes (they get my heart racing every time)
*Friends that fall in love

message 33: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Good list, ReeCee!

message 34: by Arch (new)

ReeCee, by any chance do you write? We have a dangerous bad boy kidnap/captive writing challenge going on right now. The new theme will start on June 15th, but the kidnap/captive story is an ongoing story. I mean, if you start it today, it doesn't have to be finished by June 15th. You can continue to write to it and the new theme story, if you choose to write two stories.

message 35: by ReeCee (new)

ReeCee | 38 comments No, I don't write at all, but the challange sounds great.

message 36: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments I love all of these themes.

ReeCee wrote: "*Marriage of Convenience (of course they fall in love)
*Totured Hero (doesn't think he is good enough for the heroine)
*Jealous heroes (they get my heart racing every time)
*Friends that fall in..."

message 37: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 688 comments Arch wrote: "ReeCee, by any chance do you write? We have a dangerous bad boy kidnap/captive writing challenge going on right now. The new theme will start on June 15th, but the kidnap/captive story is an ongoin..."

Arch, OT here but what will be the new theme be on June 15? I'd love to do one such challenge

message 38: by Arch (last edited May 12, 2010 02:25AM) (new)

Z wrote: "Arch, OT here but what will be the new theme be on June 15? I'd love to do one such challenge"

Z, I love Danielle's Desert Island theme. But, we have to wait to see what others want to write about and then we are going to vote. I don't know how many people are going to participate.

I'm game for the Desert Island theme. I already have my hero's name. Tokyo. Scenes are already coming to me.

I want to be finished with Trespassing first. I have to write some to that story today.

message 39: by Courtney (last edited May 11, 2010 05:39PM) (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 164 comments I love it when the heroine is standing up for the hero and he "accidentally" hears her because he just happened to be walking by. *sigh* Or when the heroine has this insanely awesome conviction to save her man from everyone else's ignorance about/toward him! This happened in Seize the Night (which is one of the main reasons that I ADORE Tabitha) and it's kind of happening now in Dark Side of the Moon!! Looove it! :D

message 40: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

That is good when the H/h stand up for each other, Courtney!

message 41: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 688 comments Eugenia wrote: "Chick Lit romance, for shame, for shame. Because most of the heroines all shopping and shallowness but I love them. I find them surprisingly smart, funny, sarcastic and cute. How I got hooked on c..."

Haha! Another addiction we share!

message 42: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 688 comments Arch wrote: "Z wrote: "Arch, OT here but what will be the new theme be on June 15? I'd love to do one such challenge"

Z, I love Danielle's Desert Island theme. But, we have to wait to see what other's want t..."

Thanks Arch. I'll wait with baited breath too! I'm starting a new multicultural WIP this week and hope to be able to work around that.

message 43: by Melanie (last edited May 12, 2010 02:45PM) (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 411 comments Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "My reading guilty pleasures (in other words, I am likely to pull this book of the shelf and buy, no matter what!):

*Heroes who are really 'bad' (as you all know)
--particularly assassins, or se..."

Woah Danielle! You have a LOT of guilty pleasures... not that I don't second most of them though (except maybe the sheikh or the nerdy heroes (heroines ok, heroes, not so much..might also be that I haven't read the right book:-p) :-) what's life without them? ;-p

I'd like to add the "friends-to-lovers", which is one of my faves:-) always gets me smiling:-) or the "almost lost her" (if you can call it that, might be more of a subplot..), where the hero messes up/thinks she died, etc.. :-)

I also enjoy the "betrayal (by him) theme" (as little cheating as possible please, I'm not too crazy about that), when the heroine finds out :-) I always get chills and a knot in my stomach ( I really live out my books, lol )

message 44: by Arch (new)

Z wrote: "Thanks Arch. I'll wait with baited breath too! I'm starting a new multicultural WIP this week and hope to be able to work around that."

Okay.

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) I also like a theme where the Heroine leaves the Hero (for whatever reason, although I prefer not straight out cheating). I especially love it when the Hero is devastated by it and we get to see him deal with his emotions when he realizes his woman is truly gone and not coming back. I want to see him work to get his woman back and some groveling is okay with me.

message 46: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 411 comments Jessa, that theme is great:-) love it too!

message 47: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Melanie, I love the hero almost lost her theme, and betrayed, as well. Cheating, I hate. Jessa, I do like when the heroine leaves the hero and he has to get her back b/c he's devastated. Good hero groveling when he really messed up is a must.

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Melanie, I love the hero almost lost her theme, and betrayed, as well. Cheating, I hate. Jessa, I do like when the heroine leaves the hero and he has to get her back b/c he's devastated. Good her..."

You got any suggestions of books that have this theme. I haven't ran across any in a while.

message 49: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 164 comments Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Melanie, I love the hero almost lost her theme, and betrayed, as well. Cheating, I hate. Jessa, I do like when the heroine leaves the hero and he has to get her back b/c he's devastated. Good her..."

They did that theme really well in The Chief (Highland Guard Novels) by Monica McCarty !!!

message 50: by Melanie (last edited May 13, 2010 03:55AM) (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 411 comments The Pretender :-)
Perfect Sin is a little tougher

***spoiler***

There is cheating in it, b/c he doensn't realize how he feels about her before, but after he'll do anything to get her back... I really don't like cheating in a romance, but this book really gripped me till the end ..

« previous 1 3